You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Emporer's New Clothes

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

Head above the parapet time,,, nevertheless, firstly, Lisa-Marie and Trevor are fine presenters.  Richard and Tikay are world class.  Ed is the best.  DP is superb.  I like SkyPoker lots.  I like the people in our Community.

The set up at the moment with 2D graphics is very poor.  I am watching The Open, amd watched Primo on Sunday, and it is not holding my interest.  At one stage tonight I started channel hopping. before realising that this new less expensive format is no longer engaging and, at times, mind-numbing.  And that is despite the skill and expertise of Trevor and Lisa-Marie.

I feel that we are all accepting of the financial constraints on skypoker and are resigned to seeing a product down-sized to match a lower income stream.  Like the Emporer's New Clothes few of us in the skypoker community want to say anything negative about something of such value.  But I will speak up as I would like to see skypoker go onwards and upwards.  The new format is not good enough to attract the volume of new people sufficient to replace those who wander off.  "Channel hopped" to something else.

I hope that the financiers, budget holders, suits and decision makers listen.

Comments

• edited August 2010

I'll quickly jump in and say I'm realllllly not bothered about the change, I watch the show no.1 for the poker and hand reviews. You still get both.

Also the level of interaction is increased, as both presenters have the forum,tables and tourny lobbys right in front of them.

I think this hasn't been highlighted enough, when presenters ask players to get in touch over hands, u can basically have a live conversation with the guys in the studio, like on m s n.

The proof will be in the viewing figures I spose, but as a customer who takes his poker seriously, as long as the hands get shown and the quality of the analysis is high, then Im happy and will always watch.

The comedy will never be lost either.

• edited August 2010

hi dohhhhhh

I appreciate those aspects like yourself. 

But the Emporer has no clothes.
  • edited August 2010
    unusually for me, i completely agree with dohhhhhh. ok, the 2D is a bit off-putting at times; however the amount of hands being shown and analysed has increased and that means we can learn more about the players, their plays and poker in general. this can only be a good thing. i'm not saying that you are wrong as we all have our own opinions and they are ALL valid no matter what, i would say give it a chance. don't forget that they are changing studios at the moment as well.
  • edited August 2010
    I much prefer this new format if i'm honest. I may just be one of few, but i found tonights show much more engaging. I also find the 2D graphics kept me more focused on the hands going on, rather that what was going on around them as such.

I think the only reason people are not enjoying the new product as much is because it may not be quite as aesthetically pleasing, but I think if we really look closely we're getting a much better product on the poker analysis side of things because no choice is left but to focus on the hand in play.

Just the opinion of one anywho.

Snowy
  • edited August 2010
    What makes Sky Poker Channel so good for me is the interaction between presenters and audience. I thought that was lacking somewhat tonight. Might have missed it but I don't think that 80s music question of the show thread was even touched upon.

I also love the comic interaction between the presenters and they're all funny and listenable to. I think that's been lacking a bit since the new format came in. I like listening to Orford and Kendall sparring.

Yes, it's a poker a channel and the emphasis should be on poker but the main reason I prefer 865 to 166 is the sense of humour of the presenters and how we all feel like one big happy family.

And I much preferred the 3d format.

Just my tuppence worth.
  • edited August 2010
    " Head above the parapet time " , " Emporers New Clothes ", what is an Emporer and what has it/he/she got to do with Sky Poker??? what a load of meaningless pretentious twaddle.                                                       Kind regards
  • edited August 2010
    Add me to the "Ok with the 2 d table" pack
  • edited August 2010
    I'm actually enjoying the new shows, which I have to admit I didn't think I would.  The other day I thought Ed was actually going to slide off his chair he was so laid back lol.

My one concern is with the 2D graphics as I am finding it hard to read the details on my TV and and especially my computer screen as I think the playing area is now smaller than it used to be.  But hopefully, given time, Sky will tweak the new graphics and hopefully make them easier to read.

Steve