You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WPT

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
In Response to WPT:
Just watched some WPT series 8, don't spoil it for me im on episode 6 but a little quesion in their betting, Say the blinds are 30,000/90,000 and the pot starts off 120,000 Why do they always raise with the value off one pot and 5,000 over or under the small blind i.e  145,000 , 155,000 ?
Posted by MadHorse
If the blinds are structured like that, that would be rather odd.
Given a big blind of 90,000 it would not be possible to raise to 145,000 or 155,000 as I understand it since it would be an under-raise.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Just watched some WPT series 8, don't spoil it for me im on episode 6 but a little quesion in their betting,

Say the blinds are 30,000/60,000 and the pot starts off 120,000

Why do they always raise with the value off one pot and 5,000 over or under the small blind i.e  145,000 , 155,000

?
  • edited August 2010
    30,000 / 60,000

SORRY!!

My mistake
  • edited August 2010
    OK!
    With a BB of 60K, a minimum raise would be to 120K.
    I can't remember whether WPT games have a running ante.

Anyway, modern theory for tournament play is that a raise to about 2.5*BB is optimal (depending on depth of stacks).
    This would be a raise to 150K. Many poker players dislike being predictable (and think that raising non-standard amounts distracts their opponent) so they tend to vary it a little either way.

The logic, I imagine, is that their opponent is supposed to think "ooooh, he made it 145K last time but he's made it 155K this time, what does that mean" when, in reality, the slight variation has no significance at all. In fact, if it did have any significance then it would be an exploitable weakness in the raisers's game since his opponent would be able to "put him on a hand" more easily.
  • edited August 2010

they are probably taking the antes into account as well ,if the small blind and big blind together is 120000,there could be antes of up to 800 for each other player on the table boosting the pot ...

• edited August 2010
    I should have added that it makes pot odds slightly more difficult to calculate but any experienced player wouldn't be fazed by this.
    It's slightly more relevant online where a player has rather less time to act and therefore may not be able to do the necessary calculations in time and I imagine that since most players play predominantly online they carry this practice over to live tournament play.