You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Friday the 13th - Tonight's (rebuy) OPEN......

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

270 runners only in the Open tonight with a 4k GTD prizepool.

Is this good value or does this reflect the 'dislike' of the rebuy tournaments?

I have said my peace on this elsewhere......so I would just like to hear the views of the forum members on this.

Please vote and discuss. Thank you.

Comments

• edited August 2010

I'm not a massive fan of them to be honest and much perfer freezeout, but I don't dislike them enough to have not registered tonight.. so I guess my vote (if it was an option ;-) ) would be...

Don't particularly like them but would rather play it then not play at all
  • edited August 2010
    I haven't voted Al cos I don't fit in any of those categories - I do not love them but I do not hate them.

I would rather the Open be a FO rather than a rebuy but I don't mind that much and tbh I think it is good because people who do "loathe" them are actualy playing the £2.20 and £5.50 DS instead therefore imo everyone is a winner :)

I also think 270 runners is good and with the rebuys it is great value - just ask Ben "Mr Muscles" Nuttall who won it last week for a very nice amount!!
  • edited August 2010

PANTS
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday the 13th - Tonight's (rebuy) OPEN......:
    I'm not a massive fan of them to be honest and much perfer freezeout, but I don't dislike them enough to have not registered tonight.. so I guess my vote (if it was an option ;-) ) would be... Don't particularly like them but would rather play it then not play at all
    Posted by cookie83
    Hi Cookie

Do you mean you play because its the 'open' or there is no alternative?

The 8.15pm DEEPSTACK FREEZEOUT MTT got 75 runners tonight. This could be an alternative for those not in favour of rebuy tournaments.
  • edited August 2010

Wil easily make 4k - they obviously dont set the grntee according to the predicted amount of runners........

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday the 13th - Tonight's (rebuy) OPEN...... : Hi Cookie Do you mean you play because its the 'open' or there is no alternative? The 8.15pm DEEPSTACK FREEZEOUT MTT got 75 runners tonight. This could be an alternative for those not in favour of rebuy tournaments.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hi mate,

The no alternative option... I didn't notice that would have prob played that instead, don't often play on a Friday anyways...
  • edited August 2010
    Good value... That PP will double through rebuys and add-on's so therefor there will be about 5.5k spread over 30 players rather than 60 thta it would need to be for a freezeout.

p.s great blind structure, blinds only 50/100 by the break and with a chance to add 3k to your stack you aready have soooooooo much play
  • edited August 2010
    wish the 8.15 DP was a rebuy tonight, having flopped a set of queens in the first hand and been stacked by a fish! 75th of 75 not good for the premier league!
  • edited August 2010
    wish the 8.15 DP was a rebuy tonight, having flopped a set of queens in the first hand and been stacked by a fish! 75th of 75 not good for the premier league!
    Posted by darich
    OUCH vvul m8,and the fishes name was what? ;o)
  • edited August 2010
    nah, it wasn't uberfishy, but it felt like it at the time
  • edited August 2010
    Alan......Mate.......

I know you are not the greatest fan of re-buys but there are those who do like them! OK, so there aren't as many takers for the Re-Buy Open but it has still attracted 270 runners (with a total prize pool of over £5600) and actually represents a bit of value for money if you play wisely and don't have to use the "options"! What you don't seem to understand about these things is that you DO NOT HAVE TO RE BUY OR ADD ON!!!!!

I have consistently ended my friday nights in profit since the introduction of re-buys and I play in both the Re-buy Open and the Re-buy ToT! I'm not a big fan of them but if played correctly they're just as good as other games! It's a simple case of ABC poker for the first hour, a bit like playing a DYM if you like.....don't get involved unless you're massive! After the first hour, all is normal and over a third of the field (in the Open) will have gone out anyway! And if you've only paid the original buy in your ROI could be huge without having to survive a massive field!

IMHO you are going a bit over the top about this! Everybody has their own preferences. For instance, there are people who don't like playing deepstack tourneys, shocking I know, but there are! Some don't like bounty hunters, others just don't like MTTs in general! And still more can't or won't play omaha (I wish they would!) What I'm really saying is that there is, and should always be, a good choice of games to play! If you don't like one game you can always play another, simples! It just seems to me that you are trying to get re-buys removed from the site completely which appears to be a little selfish?!?

I know that your biggest gripe is with the SPT sats and that is something that I (sort of) agree with but once again there is nothing to say that you HAVE TO re-buy OR add-on! If you can get the gamblers chips you won't have to and there will be less opposition and more seats available so, in a way, they could actually be better.........just a thought!!!!!

All The Best mate, I hope you find a way to make it into the SPT Final!

I'll see you at DTD anyway and I might actually buy you another drink if you're lucky! ;-)

Chris
  • edited August 2010
    Alan......Mate....... I know you are not the greatest fan of re-buys but there are those who do like them! OK, so there aren't as many takers for the Re-Buy Open but it has still attracted 270 runners (with a total prize pool of over £5600) and actually represents a bit of value for money if you play wisely and don't have to use the "options"! What you don't seem to understand about these things is that you DO NOT HAVE TO RE BUY OR ADD ON!!!!! I have consistently ended my friday nights in profit since the introduction of re-buys and I play in both the Re-buy Open and the Re-buy ToT! I'm not a big fan of them but if played correctly they're just as good as other games! It's a simple case of ABC poker for the first hour, a bit like playing a DYM if you like.....don't get involved unless you're massive! After the first hour, all is normal and over a third of the field (in the Open) will have gone out anyway! And if you've only paid the original buy in your ROI could be huge without having to survive a massive field! IMHO you are going a bit over the top about this! Everybody has their own preferences. For instance, there are people who don't like playing deepstack tourneys, shocking I know, but there are! Some don't like bounty hunters, others just don't like MTTs in general! And still more can't or won't play omaha (I wish they would!) What I'm really saying is that there is, and should always be, a good choice of games to play! If you don't like one game you can always play another, simples! It just seems to me that you are trying to get re-buys removed from the site completely which appears to be a little selfish?!? I know that your biggest gripe is with the SPT sats and that is something that I (sort of) agree with but once again there is nothing to say that you HAVE TO re-buy OR add-on! If you can get the gamblers chips you won't have to and there will be less opposition and more seats available so, in a way, they could actually be better.........just a thought!!!!! All The Best mate, I hope you find a way to make it into the SPT Final! I'll see you at DTD anyway and I might actually buy you another drink if you're lucky! ;-) Chris
    Posted by DiggerMan
    I've just finished playing the TOT re-buy and the open re-buy. I said in my earlier post that I perfer freezeouts and that's still the case but I must say quite enjoyed them both.

Don't get me wrong if you're looking for imaculate play and getting people to lay down a hand then don't play the open re-buy. The first hour was madness, but it took me a few hands to adjust and by the break I had around 9k in chips and had no add on's. Everyone on the table was really friendly and we had a good laugh.
    I think it helped that on my table everyone fully expected to get their aces called by 47 off

After the break it was just back to normal, as Flash says above the structure is actually pretty good and the prize pool is spread over a smaller field so first prize was over £1,500.

In the TOT it played normal, it didn't even feel like a re-buy. might have helped that I had a lot of "regulars" on my table. I wouldn't play this all the time as I think it can get you in to some bad habbits, but I think every once in a while is fine.

Pete

• edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    Alan......Mate....... I know you are not the greatest fan of re-buys but there are those who do like them! OK, so there aren't as many takers for the Re-Buy Open but it has still attracted 270 runners (with a total prize pool of over £5600) and actually represents a bit of value for money if you play wisely and don't have to use the "options"! What you don't seem to understand about these things is that you DO NOT HAVE TO RE BUY OR ADD ON!!!!! I have consistently ended my friday nights in profit since the introduction of re-buys and I play in both the Re-buy Open and the Re-buy ToT! I'm not a big fan of them but if played correctly they're just as good as other games! It's a simple case of ABC poker for the first hour, a bit like playing a DYM if you like.....don't get involved unless you're massive! After the first hour, all is normal and over a third of the field (in the Open) will have gone out anyway! And if you've only paid the original buy in your ROI could be huge without having to survive a massive field! IMHO you are going a bit over the top about this! Everybody has their own preferences. For instance, there are people who don't like playing deepstack tourneys, shocking I know, but there are! Some don't like bounty hunters, others just don't like MTTs in general! And still more can't or won't play omaha (I wish they would!) What I'm really saying is that there is, and should always be, a good choice of games to play! If you don't like one game you can always play another, simples! It just seems to me that you are trying to get re-buys removed from the site completely which appears to be a little selfish?!?I know that your biggest gripe is with the SPT sats and that is something that I (sort of) agree with but once again there is nothing to say that you HAVE TO re-buy OR add-on! If you can get the gamblers chips you won't have to and there will be less opposition and more seats available so, in a way, they could actually be better.........just a thought!!!!! All The Best mate, I hope you find a way to make it into the SPT Final! I'll see you at DTD anyway and I might actually buy you another drink if you're lucky! ;-) Chris
    Posted by DiggerMan
    Hi Chris...

I started this thread to get feedback on rebuys. I fully understand how to play a rebuy but choose not to.

I don't believe I am OTT on this....just asking for other peoples view on them which is what I thought was the concept behind having a forum.

Rebuys and Omaha are here to stay at Sky poker no matter how few  players play them. FACT. So, no , I don't think I am being selfish or trying to get them removed in any way shape or form. Just to re-iterate....I am looking for other peoples view on them on this thread.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your 'likeness' for them. I do know that Tikay has stated on another thread tonight his love for them now, so all must just be tickerty boo with rebuys and I stand corrected. lol.

Cheers anyway mate...

Regards,

Alan
  • edited August 2010
    I can see the advantages of rebuys, tonight I lost an all in, set under set at 20:08, 8 minutes into my tournament and in any regular game, I'd be out, cold deck, seeya later.

Instead I had a rebuy, also took my optional add-on and cashed for just under £50, finishing 20th.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Friday the 13th - Tonight's (rebuy) OPEN...... : Hi Chris... I started this thread to get feedback on rebuys. I fully understand how to play a rebuy but choose not to. I don't believe I am OTT on this....just asking for other peoples view on them which is what I thought was the concept behind having a forum. Rebuys and Omaha are here to stay at Sky poker no matter how few  players play them. FACT. So, no , I don't think I am being selfish or trying to get them removed in any way shape or form. Just to re-iterate....I am looking for other peoples view on them on this thread. Thank you for taking the time to explain your 'likeness' for them. I do know that Tikay has stated on another thread tonight his love for them now, so all must just be tickerty boo with rebuys and I stand corrected. lol. Cheers anyway mate... Regards, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    That's not actually correct, Alan.

I said this.....

"....Rebuys, I've not played them for years, but I regret it now, who'd have thought they could be so much fun?....."

Which is not quite the same thing. I pretty much love all poker, but I've not played Rebuys, Live or Online, for a good few years. Mainly, I think, for the same reasons as you.

Now I'm a biit miffed with myself, because I've found them to be terrific fun. I play them different to Freezeouts, & I EXPECT to cash in every one. And I do, in most, because I optimise my rebuy policy, & then sit out & let the harem scarem boys cut each others throats.

If I want to play serious poker, I'd still prefer a well-structured, slow clock, Freezeout. But now & then - in my case these days, one night a week, (Friday), I am really ejoying these Rebuys.

It really is each to their own, & I hope you continue to enjoy your preferences.