You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are you a winning poker player? - Anonymous vote.

2»

Comments

• edited August 2010

Interesting one, i'm a winning player on my profits but that's only due to my MTT play.

I think i'm about break even on STT's and my cash play if i'm honest is quite poor. I'm def a losing play at cash. I think that's probably because when I play it, I play at a level that's too high for me (my bankrole allows it from MTT profits)

Does anybody play at different levels for different aspects of the game? I think I should consider this and drop down the levels at cash

Pete
  • edited August 2010

up 8.8 k  from an inital investment of £50 ,

saying that it was the 2nd £50 i put in to skypoker ,

now how does one do this ?

every poker game you play on here enjoy and be comfortable at this level  ,

be hungry to cash in it .

if you dont cash ,

question  your game play and see could you have done better .

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you a winning poker player? - Anonymous vote.:
      up 8.8 k  from an inital investment of £50 ,  saying that it was the 2nd £50 i put in to skypoker ,  now how does one do this ?  every poker game you play on here enjoy and be comfortable at this level  ,   be hungry to cash in it .  if you dont cash ,  question  your game play and see could you have done better .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    omg irishrover,you understand that by giving a sensible informed answer you have undone all the hard work you have put into this forum????
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you a winning poker player? - Anonymous vote. : omg irishrover,you understand that by giving a sensible informed answer you have undone all the hard work you have put into this forum????
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    normal service has resumed ,

note my latest thread ,

but ty my good davey mmmm i think lol !
  • edited August 2010
    Just looked at the votes so far - mmm interesting !!                                                                                                                                                                I am now thinking of changing sites....To many winning players on Sky :)

Ps Which site have all the fish swam off too ????
  • edited August 2010

I am a losing player as i tend to play too high and take shots a lot. Done it across several sites. I seem to go deep in Tournaments from time to time but its just so boring compared to a game of 200NL. I am what you would call the opposite of risk averse. But i take my beats in good taste.

I have built up several 4 figure bankrolls only to watch them burn when i chase losses.... wait a minute this sounds like i am addicted, well i am.

I think a lot players wont admit to losing but in my opinion as a raging masochist i delight in putting myself on the frontline knowing self destruct is on its way.

I am by no means in debt because of Poker but i do play way out of my bankroll. Just dont have the discipline to succeed or stick at it. I am a casual player who when i get a day of like to let my steam off by playing high enough to to feel pain but not to destroy my sanity.

There has got to be other people out there like this surely? Hope to see some honest NO answers, i wont say how much i have lost in 3 years but it aint pretty.

We are what we do , I gamble means i am a gambler.

• edited August 2010

I sometimes feel like an athlete who trains hard, eats all the correct foods and has the massive dream of becoming an Olympic champion, however he ends up running for his local club after work on a Tuesday night and looks back on what might have been.  In my head I think I am a solid good player, sadly I am still playing low stakes with little success five years after starting to play  , lol.   I really don't want to be a bar stool hero ten years from now,  I still have faith I can turn this around and become a winner at this game. 

• edited August 2010
    I put £40 on 2 1/2 years ago and have gone as low as £4 and as high as £300,currently at £250.I have no delusions of my poker ability,I am either a genius or the biggest fish ever depending on how many beers i have had.The money is secondary to the enjoyment I get out of poker,in particular playing on here.Although not a big contributer to the forum I read it every time I am on here and it is one of the best things about the site.I woud still play every weekend even if I was losing money because all my mates are like me ,wife ,kids mortgage and too fookin knackered to go down the pub,

cheers
                                                                                                 Deano
  • edited August 2010
    I put £40 on 2 1/2 years ago and have gone as low as £4 and as high as £300,currently at £250.I have no delusions of my poker ability,I am either a genius or the biggest fish ever depending on how many beers i have had.The money is secondary to the enjoyment I get out of poker,in particular playing on here.Although not a big contributer to the forum I read it every time I am on here and it is one of the best things about the site.I woud still play every weekend even if I was losing money because all my mates are like me ,wife ,kids mortgage and too fookin knackered to go down the pub,                                                                                     cheers                                                                                              Deano
    Posted by mm12

I agree with this, the forum is very good and poker will always be a part of my life. I have no desire to be a pro player ( secretly I do :-)  ).  Poker is fun for everyone ( just like Prahlad Friedman says , lol ) . 
  • edited August 2010
    I put £40 on 2 1/2 years ago and have gone as low as £4 and as high as £300,currently at £250.I have no delusions of my poker ability,I am either a genius or the biggest fish ever depending on how many beers i have had.The money is secondary to the enjoyment I get out of poker,in particular playing on here.Although not a big contributer to the forum I read it every time I am on here and it is one of the best things about the site.I woud still play every weekend even if I was losing money because all my mates are like me ,wife ,kids mortgage and too fookin knackered to go down the pub,                                                                                     cheers                                                                                              Deano
    Posted by mm12

one of the most admirable posts i seen on this here forum ,

good on you sir !
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you a winning poker player? - Anonymous vote. : Interesting point Shaun. My honest answer is yes you will be losing BUT (there's always a but) considering you point this out you're definitely in a better boat than lots of people and probably have what it takes to switch yourself to a winning player. GL.
    Posted by beaneh
    great post and reply guys, I've often asked this question, if u win 1 big tourny with a 1.5-10K top prize ur stats on various sites may tag u as a winning player (until u donk off all the prizemoney) but not technically a good player, it's often said the WSOP main event player is just running good (moneymaker, gold, eastgate, cada), perhaps the acid test of DOH's question is longevity, if ur a winning player on all sites combined over a 2/3 year period chances are you'll be a winning player longer term

Always a pleasure DOH :)
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    i put £100 in my sky account 3/1/2 years ago and never spent a penny on poker since....but im sure most players wont admit they are losing players because most gamblers have a selective memory ie "i won £300 on a horse once"
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

Hi DAVEY

I'm surprised a man with ur roll with put poker and gambler in the same sentence, I did win £300 at blackjack once, does that count :)

Always a pleasure
  • edited August 2010
    48 votes say yes, no way there are 48 winning players on sky
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, so far. I've only deposited once here, £50 in November, I've turned that into over £700 in 9 months playing small stakes STTs and MTTs (despite some forum members saying you shouldn't play in them because the rake is too high). I'm in profit on the 3 other sites I've played on too.

According to the Sharkscope FAQ an average of 26% of online poker players across all poker sites return a profit, the figure for Sky is 31%. Obviously that applies to tournament play only, but I would expect the figures wouldn't be much different for cash. According to Sharkscope the often quoted 5% figure is a myth.

The percentage of winning players would be higher than average among forum members IMO because they're people who will naturally read quite a lot of startegy advice and stuff.