You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing live advice

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I'm fairly knew to the live game and any advice on ettiquette etc would be appreciated.

Although I've a fairly decent grasp of maths/arithmetic I get in a total revel trying to count my chips and get bet sizes right. I even regularly forget the value of the chips.Does this just come with experience or is there a secret?

Also how do you learn how to shuffle your chips in a cool manner? I'm utterly embarassing myself there.

And how do you stop your hands shaking when you get dealt AA?

Cheers - bandini

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Just remember the bets, add it up you get the pot and do the math seperately.

Watch some Esdandafari clips on you tube he has tutorials, i never mastered them yet :(.

Erm, kind of hard, i still do this what i do now is take deep breathes and say, "man i need a ciggerette" (smoking required)
  • edited August 2010
    VERBALISE YOUR ACTION

then you cant make a mistake with the way you put your chips in or make a mistake putting in a 1k chip at 150/300 not realising that 1 chip always equals a call unless you announce raise. 

Just take your time, don't look at your cards till action is on you and think about the hand your playing all the time. 

(tip- people dont fold much live, and will call big bets)
  • edited August 2010
    Before the game starts, put the highest value chips to the left and then stack the rest to the right  in descending order to help with chip values.
    Always announce what you intend to do, so fold, call or raise. With a raise always state what you are raising to because if you don't and you put the wrong value chip in, it stands as the raise.
    If you're not sure not sure what it is to call, then ask the dealer or in a self dealt game, the other players.
    As for chip tricks, practise at home with chips.Youtube is your friend.Loads of video tutorials but as someone once said, chip tricks are good but magicians  do better.So if you can't do them, don't bother.
    Lastly, if you make your hands shake with every hand, people won't be able to tell when they are shaking for real!!!
    Enjoy yourself and when you're not involved in a hand, still pay attention to what's going on at the table as you can
    pick up so much from watching hands when you're not under pressure of playing the hands.
    Playing live poker is so much better than internet poker but be patient as the speed of play is a lot slower.
  • edited August 2010

I am quite new to playing live as well apart from my local pub, but i played at Rileys for only the second time last week.

There was a player on our table who had never played before. He explained this before the game started and everyone on the table helped him out where possible, so i would say be honest and tell ppl your new to playing live and they will normally be quite helpfull.

As said above announce your bet sizing clearly so people can hear you. this avoids confusion if you put the wrong amount of chips in as whatever you say goes.

As for shuffling i am terrible myself and always announce to the table if ive not played them before "you,ll have to excuse my shuffling" or something along those lines. then i just take my time but make sure they are properly shuffled and deal carefully to the chips on the table. When the cards are dealt keep an eye on the game and make sure everyone involved in the pot has made their decision before  you  deal the flop, turn and river  and don,t forget to burn a card before revealing the next card

You,ll soon pick it up - GL

• edited August 2010
    Some sound advice there. Thanks chaps.

I was meaning chip shuffling but I hate dealing too. Multi-tasking is not me.

Off to a game now so thanks again for the advice and keep it coming.
  • edited August 2010
    there isnt a better way of telling everyone that you have played a lot of poker than by doing some fancy chip shuffling trick
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice:
    there isnt a better way of telling everyone that you have played a lot of poker than by doing some fancy chip shuffling trick
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

correct

get comfortable with the table talk as well - at least if you sound like you know what youre talking about and are confident with terminology/jargon, it helps your table image. 

i found that when playing online and you get dealt AA or KK etc, just stoneface your monitor like youve been dealt 83o. if you can learn how to stone a computer screen, you can do it live.

and ffs dont ever show a big bluff. EVER. unless you think it will lifetilt someone ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Advice must have worked cos I took it down last night.

Maybe should have listened to the advice about being patient as I had to re-buy after the 2nd hand but my 1st live win still feels sweet.

Only 9 headed but still : Ivey, your days are numbered.
  • edited August 2010

Lol Well done

I have played live for ten years the shakes seem to go once you get used to the room and is just like getting AA on line. Re shuffling chips loads of practice.

A few live tells for you.

• Stitting back in the chair happy with board
    • leaning forward not happy
    • playing with bottom lips very unsure
    • watch where they place chips on felt if nearer to them strength away to centre weak
    • finger tapping can give a lot of clues
    • Most players forget about their feet fast tapping not happy
    • Talking during a hand make mental notes when they are strong do they go silent
    • Checking their hand every street could mean they have a draw
    • Shaking which you know about
    • If they take a pot down a smile could mean a bluff take mental notes how they played that hand
    • If facing a big raise/all in ask questions about their hand if you call their hand you may see a reaction
    • Can they look you in the eyes, if not could mean weakness liars rarely can look you in the face
    • Never never look at both your hole cards at the same time one at once.
    • Never never look at your hole cards until its your turn to act
    • Watch every player as they look at their hole cards a lot can be learnt from this.
    • Finally take mental notes on on players more so when your not in the pot.

Please note this is just a guide and many experienced players will fake these tells.

• edited August 2010
    Too busy concentrating on my hands to looks for tells yet but thanks for that Wayne.

I've got Caro's book but haven't got round to reading it yet. I suppose I should.

Best tell I've ever seen is my 10yo son though who whispers his cards out as he's trying to work out if he's got a straight. Hasn't gone back to his mum's with his pocket money in months.
  • edited August 2010
    Too busy concentrating on my hands to looks for tells yet but thanks for that Wayne. I've got Caro's book but haven't got round to reading it yet. I suppose I should. Best tell I've ever seen is my 10yo son though who whispers his cards out as he's trying to work out if he's got a straight. Hasn't gone back to his mum's with his pocket money in months.
    Posted by bandini
    LOL start them young m8 maybe a future WSOP champ in the making... lets hope!
  • edited August 2010
    well done that man for taking it down!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : LOL start them young m8 maybe a future WSOP champ in the making... lets hope!
    Posted by waynecure
    :-) I hope so. He's ten times bammier than me and ten times more confident. It's a young man's game. And with my coaching after reading The Poker Clinic? Practically a given. Scotland's due a WSOP winner.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : :-) I hope so. He's ten times bammier than me and ten times more confident. It's a young man's game. And with my coaching after reading The Poker Clinic? Practically a given. Scotland's due a WSOP winner.
    Posted by bandini
    I am a Welshman and I am pretty sure a past WSOP main event winner was born in Wales cant remember his name but was a few years ago.... no doubt someone will say NO WAY TAFFY!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : I am a Welshman and I am pretty sure a past WSOP main event winner was born in Wales cant remember his name but was a few years ago.... no doubt someone will say NO WAY TAFFY!
    Posted by waynecure
    I'm saying no way taffy :-)

You meaning the main event? I stand to be corrected but I doubt it.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : I'm saying no way taffy :-) You meaning the main event? I stand to be corrected but I doubt it.
    Posted by bandini
    Mansour Matloubi 1990 lived in Wales at the time he won the WSOP so I just read he is Irainian by birth
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : Mansour Matloubi 1990 lived in Wales at the time he won the WSOP so I just read he is Irainian by birth
    Posted by waynecure
    Not the Welshest name I've ever heard. Aren't you all called Dai Jones? :-)

In all seriousness, good shout though. I'm impressed boyo.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : Not the Welshest name I've ever heard. Aren't you all called Dai Jones? :-) In all seriousness, good shout though. I'm impressed boyo.
    Posted by bandini
    lol och aye bandini one to u
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing live advice : lol och aye bandini one to u
    Posted by waynecure
    Freeeedommmmmm!

Fried haggis suppers, kilts, bagpipes etc.

I'm away out on the drink (which, I suppose, is another Scottish stereotype, but a true one) before I cause too much damage on this forums.

See ya around boyo.
  • edited August 2010
    Lol Well done I have played live for ten years the shakes seem to go once you get used to the room and is just like getting AA on line. Re shuffling chips loads of practice. A few live tells for you. Stitting back in the chair happy with board leaning forward not happy playing with bottom lips very unsure watch where they place chips on felt if nearer to them strength away to centre weak finger tapping can give a lot of clues Most players forget about their feet fast tapping not happy Talking during a hand make mental notes when they are strong do they go silent Checking their hand every street could mean they have a draw Shaking which you know about If they take a pot down a smile could mean a bluff take mental notes how they played that hand If facing a big raise/all in ask questions about their hand if you call their hand you may see a reaction Can they look you in the eyes, if not could mean weakness liars rarely can look you in the face Never never look at both your hole cards at the same time one at once. Never never look at your hole cards until its your turn to act Watch every player as they look at their hole cards a lot can be learnt from this. Finally take mental notes on on players more so when your not in the pot. Please note this is just a guide and many experienced players will fake these tells.
    Posted by waynecure

you have got these 2 the wrong way round
  • edited August 2010
    Nope when someone sits back in his chair he is confident a smug posture!

when they lean forward a sign of stress and worry

this is only a guide as I said