You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I fold KK?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic

This is not really a bad beat story I promise. 

In the first level of a primo semi final £7 buy in.  I have KK in late position.  Player under the gun raises to 80 I re - raise to 240 he pushes.  I snap call, cards turn over he has QQ but I then lose to a Q on the flop.  OK  I'm 80/20 favourite when cards are flipped it's just variance. 

Then I start to think a bit deeper.  This is the first level of a tournament with a reasonable buy in he is unlikely to push any two so what's his range - probably only AA KK QQ

If I put him on one of those ignoring variance I lose to AA split with KK and win against QQ so on that basis I only win 33% of the time so I should fold KK. 

Even if I include JJ in his range I still only win 50% of the time and I wouldn't normally risk my whole stack on a 50/50 in first level.

WDYT?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Snap call.

His range is not just limited to AA/KK/QQ/JJ, he can have AK/AQs there as well. You're a massive dog to one, tying the second and massively ahead of the rest.
  • edited August 2010
    KK vs QQ+ is 50%, not sure where you got 33% from?
  • edited August 2010
    I dont understand your thinking about folding KK HU preflop as only AA to worry about, maybe if there was a couple of 3 & 4 bets by other players your logic may be correct. IMO with this logic you may as well fold AA as there is a 30% chance of them losing, have I missed the point of your post here? 
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I fold KK?:
    KK vs QQ+ is 50%, not sure where you got 33% from?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    How do you get 50% m8? Win equity is 81% you should win with hand 80% of the time (KK v QQ)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I fold KK? : How do you get 50% m8? Win equity is 81% you should win with hand 80% of the time (KK v QQ)
    Posted by waynecure
    he said qq+ not QQ
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I fold KK? : How do you get 50% m8? Win equity is 81% you should win with hand 80% of the time (KK v QQ)
    Posted by waynecure
    Its 50% against QQ+ (ie AA/KK/QQ) as when we make our decisions we don't know the exact hand we're up against so have to put him on a range of hands he would make the same play with.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I fold KK? : Its 50% against QQ+ (ie AA/KK/QQ) as when we make our decisions we don't know the exact hand we're up against so have to put him on a range of hands he would make the same play with.
    Posted by yb
    I stand corrected or sit in this case
  • edited August 2010
    If you put him on Sklanskys UTG range of JJ-AA, AKs you are still 60% to win hand. You cant be folding KK to one opponent.
  • edited August 2010
    Hmm.

No-one seems to have picked on the fact it was a satellite, and 1st level at that.

Against any A you're not even that big a favourite. I tend to play only the nuts in sats until it comes to the point a shove is the only decision. I've seen starting stacks getting through too often.

In saying that I'm not folding kk pre. Ever.

Just very unlucky I think mate.