You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

first hand on this table

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Right first hand and i happen to pick up a good starting hand, but have no reads. on the flop have a feeling im ahead and aim to check raise, but check check. then bet pot to find out where im at then after the call figure i could be behind or there chasing . he happened to spike the river and i was too comiitted to fold here. then in chatbox type lucky, he said i priced him in??? i bet enough on the turn to get rid surely

i agree should have raised flop and then bet turn and would have got rid hopefully but did i price him in on the turn??
KnucklesAA Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £13.86
YOUNG_GUN Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
Petrachek1 Sit out        
  Your hole cards

x Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £19.97
Lorna987 Fold        
KnucklesAA Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £1.20 £1.75 £8.70
x Call   £0.90 £2.65 £19.07
Flop

• J

YOUNG_GUN Check        
x Check        
Turn

YOUNG_GUN Bet   £2.65 £5.30 £6.05
x Call   £2.65 £7.95 £16.42
River

• K

YOUNG_GUN All-in   £6.05 £14.00 £0.00
x Call   £6.05 £20.05 £10.37
YOUNG_GUN Show

x Show
  • A
  • K

x Win Pair of Kings £18.65   £29.02

Comments

• edited August 2010
    i know you didnt give him a good price to call his NFD on the turn, but considering the range that had you beat post flop, im surprised you shipped it. with no reads? first hand? 

you priced yourself in with your reraise, and IMO with mid PP's thats asking for it. i would have just called his PF raise, then that way, you give yourself a chance to get off the hand and lose the minimum rather than stacking off.
  • edited August 2010
    very good point there thank u, thats one of reasons i have re-raised had no reads what so ever on any of the players so was happy to take down or get heads up with a good flop, although not a good flop had feeling i was ahead dont know why i tried check raising at this level bad move also, didn't realise flush draw aswell oh he had loads of outs here oops
  • edited August 2010
    dont 3bet 99s in that spot imo, your only ever going to get called by better, and the times you get called by QJ+ you are only 50/50.

as played you need to bet that flop, then give up turn and river.

why did you shove river, for value or a bluff? or because you had no idea what to do so you just pressed all in, think about your actions before you make them

• edited August 2010
     At no point during this hand did you think about his possible range of hands for raising pre and then calling your 3-bet.

Flop play was awful but as soon as he called you on the turn the alarm bells should have rung. After the river every realistic holding for his preflop action is now beating you so your all in was little more than a bluff which didnt work.
      Hard to play without reads so you have to rely on common sense which you did not use in this hand.
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    How is the flop play awful?

Fwiw as played I would probably c/c the turn and c/f river readless.
  • edited August 2010
    c/ring JTx board with 99 in a 3b pot vs a complete unknown is pretty awful.

i think you misplayed every street.  the whole 'im committed on the river' is total BS as you have  60bbs behind.

• edited August 2010
      The simple way at looking at this hand is as follows. With no reads the only assumption available to us is that the player is possibly tight aggressive.

So with that in mind list all the possible hands that a TAG player would bet and call a 3-bet with. Then eliminate as you go down the streets. The turn being the critical street where you can really narrow him down.If you do this you will only be left with a small number of hands by the river, then look to see how many you are beating.

This is the way you should be looking at any table when you have no reads. Against a LAG or a bingo player you may be crushing their range but to assume that style of play is too big a jump.
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: first hand on this table:
    c/ring JTx board with 99 in a 3b pot vs a complete unknown is pretty awful.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I meant the check isnt awful not the intention to c/r lol.
  • edited August 2010
    Ok guys lets look at this in more depth. Lets start by narrowing his range down on each street.

PF: 55-QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ,
    F: 55-QQ, AK, AQ, KQ
    T: 88, AK, AQ, KQ
    R: 88, AK, AQ, KQ

His 3-bet calling range with no reads. Half the time he calls with QQ and the other half he raises with them so well put them in his range, but AA, KK he is raise so their not there.

The flop is a good for our hand as we are a head of his most likely holdings like 55-88, AQ, AK, so we should be betting to about £1.60 - £1.80 depending on player, i would be betting £1.80 since we have no reads, by checking we get no more info about his hand, as he is checking back with all hands, except AJ, KJ which beats us anyway so c/r is such a bad idea, all his big hands like QQ and sets are check trapping and all bad hands are checking as their drawing.

Turns a 3h which now puts FD on board, betting here was to much just looks like a hand that wants to take pot now and doesn't want any caller, £1.80 would have been better. You showed no strength on the flop and the 3h on turn couldn't of helped you. He raises you here with TT, JJ, QQ and folds small PPs 55, 66, 77.

River comes Kd with completes all his range except 88, so now we are so much behind his range we should check looking for him to check down one of his 88.

• edited August 2010
    thanks for the advice here people, i realise i should have bet the flop or tried checking down as 2 overs

Your all right the whole hand was played terrible at the time didnt realise about the flush draw as played so obviously i wasn't at the races this hand