You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Michael's A-Z of Sport is for Community / Sports / Stories / Photo's /Gallery(hall of fame)

edited September 2009 in The Shed
Hey DTW

you've got the wrong Steve there mate! although i'm sure Steve M fancies himself as a tipster it is very much Steve B (too many people called Steve...i know!) who's our betting expert.

take a look at Steve's blog here

all the best guys,

Rich

Comments

• edited September 2009
         ______________________________________________________________________________________________________  

welcome to michael's A - Z of sport from all over the globe

checkout bet tips on my other thread in the shed thanks

intro 
          welcome lets see how many sports you can bet on we can get . . .  dtw

now there are 26 letters of the alpha - bet (bet being the main reason for this)  i will be COVERING 2 types of sports each MONTH  starting with A through to Z and i hope that you will participate as well  with      Any Sport from Any Country    serious or extreme

also i will post a poll from time to time for various sports

thanks 

michael

Here we go         B is for Base- Jumping  

BASE jumping, also sometimes written as base jumping or basejumping, is an activity that employs a parachute or the sequenced use of a wingsuit and parachute to jump from fixed objects, with the parachute unopened at the jump (else see paragliding). "BASE" is an acronym that stands for the four categories of fixed objects from which one can jump:

* Building
        * Antenna
        * Span
        * Earth

I am sure there are loads of sports begining with B good luck guys
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

right enough of me babbling lets get started  A is for...........

Aussie  Rules  Footy       there is much debate where this came from but i think it is a combination of gailic footy and rugby a team consists of 18 players + 4 interchange players & the format is 4 x 20min Quarters  also there is no off-side rule       ( came across this game over 30 years ago great to watch )

some pics for you all

michael
  • edited August 2009
    Archery?! not my ideal sport but one all the same
  • edited August 2009

Mine will be the least obvious

AIKIDO
    A japanese martial art made famous by by Steven Segal, it mainly uses the force of the attacker re-directed back against them.

ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS

A graceful form of the sport using items such as a ball/ribbon etc, becoming a popular spectator sport

P.S

When we get to T is train spotting a sport or an annoyance?

LOL

Gary

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Welcome To The A - Z of SPORTS (around the World in 26 Weeks ) 1st up is A is For......:
    Posted by Sky_Rich

ahhh reminds me of Robin Hood  & the guy who split the apple (old what's his name) a sport thats come a long way through the ages

cheers m8
  • edited August 2009

hi folks checked out Sky Steve B blogand found it very good so jumped over to sky bet to get some good odds for Aussie Rules Games this Weekend here's my Bet

£5 win Treble   returns  about  £30  works out about  6/1  happy days
    1. Essendon v St Kilda
    2. -37.5 St Kilda @ 1.83
    3. Sydney v Geelong
    4. -13.5 Geelong @ 1.83
    5. Richmond v Collingwood
    6. -41.5 Collingwood @ 1.83
  • edited August 2009
    Is Abseiling a sport? something to do with rocks+ropes,they do it down buildings now.
     + what about aardvark hunting- I think thats connected with archery. I think sport is only sport if the bookies will take a bet on it??
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Welcome To The A - Z of SPORTS (around the World in 26 Weeks ) A is For.....// Athletics - GOLD For Jessica Ennis at World Champs( Tipped her here.):
    Is Abseiling a sport? something to do with rocks+ropes,they do it down buildings now.  + what about aardvark hunting- I think thats connected with archery. I think sport is only sport if the bookies will take a bet on it??
    Posted by TORTUS007
     Hi Tortus007
       i think it is a kind of extreme sport have heard they race down buildings & mountains will find out and see if there's betting on it many thanks for your input m8

in B is for.. i will be covering Base Jumping
  • edited August 2009

continuing with base jumping here are some jumpers through the decades enjoy

* In 1912, Frederick Law jumped from the Statue of Liberty
        * In 1912, Franz Reichelt, tailor, jumped from the first deck of the Eiffel Tower testing his invention, the coat parachute. He died. It was his first ever attempt with the parachute and he had told the authorities in advance he would test it first with a dummy.
        * In 1913, Štefan Banic( jumped from a building in order to demonstrate his new parachute to the U. S. Patent Office and military
        * In 1913, a Russian student Vladimir Ossovski (???????? ?????????), from the Saint-Petersburg Conservatory, jumped from the 53-meter high bridge over the river Seine in Rouen (France), using the parachute RK-1, invented a year before that by Gleb Kotelnikov (1872-1944). Ossovski planned jumping from the Eiffel Tower too, but the mayor of Paris didn’t allow that. (Information from the Russian edition of GEO magazine, issue 11, November 2006, GEO

* In 1965, Erich Felbermayer jumped from Cima piccola di Lavaredo, in Italia.
        * In 1966, Michael Pelkey and Brian Schubert jumped from the cliff "El Capitan" in Yosemite Valley
        * On 9 November 1975, the first person to parachute off the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada, was Bill Eustace, a member of the tower's construction crew. He was fired.
        * In 1975, Owen J. Quinn, a jobless man, parachuted from the south tower of the World Trade Center to publicize the plight of the unemployed.
        * In 1976 Rick Sylvester skied off Canada's Mount Asgard for the opening sequence of the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me, giving the wider world its first look at BASE jumping.*
        * In 1990 Russell Powell (British) BASE 230 illegally jumped from the Whispering Gallery inside St Pauls Cathedral London. It was the lowest indoor BASE Jump in the world.
        * In 2008, two men, dressed as engineers, illegally jumped off the Burj Dubai, the tallest man-made structure in the world.Video documentary about the jump from the Burj Dubai tower

* In 2009, three women, a Venezuelan Ana Isabel Dao 28 years old, a New Zealander Livia Dickie 29 years old and a Norwegian Anniken Binz 32 years old[1] base jumped from the highest waterfall in the world with a height of 979 metres (3,210 ft) and a clear drop of 807 metres (2,650 ft) Angel Falls located in the Gran Sabana region of Bolivar State in Venezuela. Ana Isabel Dao was the first Venezuelan girl to jump off Angel’s fall.[2]

However, these and other sporadic incidents were one-time experiments, not the systematic pursuit of a new form of parachuting. After 1978, the filmed jumps from El Capitan were repeated, not as a publicity exercise or as a movie stunt, but as a true recreational activity. It was this that popularised BASE jumping more widely among parachutists. Carl Boenish continued to publish films and informational magazines on BASE jumping until his 1984 death after a BASE-jump off of the Troll Wall. By this time, the concept had spread among skydivers worldwide, with hundreds of participants making fixed-object jumps.

dtw
  • edited August 2009

hi guys i will be slightly changing format of this thread after the bank holiday so will leave it as B is for til then

cheers  dtw
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Welcome To The A - Z of SPORTS (around the World in 26 Weeks ) 1st up is A is For......:
    Posted by Sky_Rich

hi rich have decided to give you footy tips as i forgot about this thread and its less work to handle ideal for me m8

so me 3 threads are this 1 & michael's sports interests in the shed & michael's poker journey in general chat

so m8 we are here at last  if it ain't got me brand on it michael     it belongs to the community

ITS BEEN A HECTIC 3 MONTHS BUT WORTH IT M8

• edited September 2009

c is for ......   cricket  

will be updated on monday post away dtw
  • edited September 2009
    You're back then mate. Good on ya