You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Questons about poker.....'n' stuff!

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I can answer Q4 me as I run a Bistro, make sure pan nice and hot with a little oil add mix, after 1 min fold in half, then put slice under from corner..... if breaks spend some of your winnings on a decent spatular or have a bacon butty instead.

Comments

• edited August 2010

1) When you raise 4xbb with Jacks, get 3 bet, call, check a 9 5 3  rainbow flop to the raiser, and face a continuation bet of 3/4 of the pot - What do you do? - And how would you react to a variety of turn cards? eg scenario   a) - turn is a 2 -    b) turn is a 9     c) turn is a jack    d) turn is an ace

His 3 bet range occasionally includes suited connectors, as well as AQs+ and JJ+

This guy c bets 100% in 3 bet pots.

2) How deep do you need to be to call 3 bets with 22-99, and set mine out of position?

3) In what circumstances would you like to check raise on the flop for value, considering player tendancies, board texture and hand strength. Could you give me a hypothetical situation when this would be a good move?

4) How do you flip an omelette in a pan without it breaking - using only a standard sized fish slice?

Thanx :)
  • edited August 2010

loooooooooooool !!!

But if u fold it in half, doesn't this mean the middle wont cook properly?

And how dya play jacks to a 3 bet???
  • edited August 2010
    1) when calling 3bets OOP you should always have a plan, like what are you going to do if the flop comes 8xx or AK2r and they cbet, if you do not have a plan, fold pre.

2)150bb+ deep for me

3) id c-r on very drawy heavy boards usually when I have made the nuts, but there are alot of turn and river cards which can kill my hand. instead of bet bet bet, i like to c-r should I can get a easy shove on the flop/turn, were by bet bet bet its harder to get stacks in ASAP

I also like to c-r on low dry flops because I rep nothing when i flop a set.

4)ask the women of the forum.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Questons.....:
    loooooooooooool !!! But if u fold it in half, doesn't this mean the middle wont cook properly? And how dya play jacks to a 3 bet???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Improve your set hitting qualities and stack away.
  • edited August 2010
    call flop, call turn if he likes to 2barrel spew, prob fold to A/K/ depending on whether he checks it back if he hits to tarp you or not.

atleast 150bb vs a good reg who plays well post flop.

c/r flops for value on boards where you are also c/ring as semi bluffs & pure bluffs.

i normally grill the top part of the omelette after the bottom of it has set well

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Questons.....:
    loooooooooooool !!! But if u fold it in half, doesn't this mean the middle wont cook properly? And how dya play jacks to a 3 bet???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Re the hooks call, over cards on flop the same as you would any small PP to a raise.

Now back to the main subject on this thread, its like cooking a boiled egg needs to be hard on the outside and soft in the middle, you fold it in two to prevent it over cooking in the middle plus before you fold it can add fillings. Mushrooms and small pieces of smoked bacon pre fried in garlic butter and seasoned with pepper & mixed herbs is lovely m8.

be a lovely treat after to console yourself with after they show KK.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Questons about poker.....'n' stuff!:
    call flop, call turn if he likes to 2barrel spew, prob fold to A/K/ depending on whether he checks it back if he hits to tarp you or not. atleast 150bb vs a good reg who plays well post flop. c/r flops for value on boards where you are also c/ring as semi bluffs & pure bluffs. i normally grill the top part of the omelette after the bottom of it has set well
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

The best advice is your cooking advice, awesome :P

GG Chef LOL_RAISE
  • edited August 2010
    you aint good enough to call 3 bets oop with jj, just 4 bet and get it in
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know the answer so I would just 4 bet and get it in
    Posted by N1CK

FYP

• edited August 2010
    Hey DOHHHHHHH,

Buh-limey! Without wanting to sound too harsh, this is a bit of a jumble in terms of situations but here's my tuppence's worth anyway ;)

1) I hate giving this answer but it's so true: it's very much situation dependant. What are the effective stack sizes? Are you playing cash or MTT? What is your opponent's image and your perceived image to him? Which position did you raise from?

For the sake of giving something more substantial, I would be 4 betting against maniacs, flatting against decent/regular aggro players, and 4bet/folding against nits, tightening a little if my opening raise was from early and loosening a little if my opening raise came from around the back.

All of this is assuming I have over 40BBs. I am not going to be 3bet/folding with anything less as my stack size isn't good for faffing about like that ;)

Re: the post flop action, I'm not sure I want to be checking across out of position too often. That flop is pretty dry and suits our hand well, so I am going to lead out about 75% of the time, with the other 25% purely to mix my ranges up a little.

In your turn card examples I would do the following assuming we check-called the flop c-bet. Again though, I wouldn't be check-calling all that often in this spot; I'd either be check-raising or leading. Anyway...

a) vs. a deuce on 9-5-3 rainbow. Lead. If you get any kind of re-raise action here I would then bin the hand. If he flats I check-call the river.

b) vs. 9 turn. Same as above. Nines will be in your open/flatting range more than a standard 3bettors range imo, which allows you to rep it a little easier. If he raises us, I might shove if we're deep enough. Yes, sick move but if I have any sort of fold equity we've basically got to have run into a set or boat here for him to call. The range you mentioned doesn't have all that many nines in it, so shove away.

Not to be recommended to many players in many spots though - all stack size/opponent dependent ;)

c) vs Jack turn. Rub yourself a little bit and then get ready to stack him. I'd check-call turn and lead big on any river.

d) vs Ace turn. Slap yourself a bit of letting an ace peel off then check-fold more often than not. If he checks behind on the turn I might be tempted to pay off a smallish bet on the river just to check his line out.

2) I will never ever go set mining for more than 20% of my stack. Personally, I am a bit of a nit on this, but then I am rubbish at hitting sets (not as good as some of the lads I saw play at Swansea!), so I might even fold if it's 15% of my stack.

Again, rather than looking to flop sets for less than x% of my stack I'd rather be look to flop sets against players who I feel that, even if I miss, I can outplay post flop. That way I give myself two ways of winning: binking a set or being better at poker than them!

3) Check-raising nowadays is a little different from a couple of years ago. Check-raising back in the day (around 2007) actually meant a strong hand, whereas now it's just seen as another way of being a good aggro player, without a hand or not. To adjust to that, I tend to do it a little less myself in online tournaments UNLESS I am playing a reasonably straightforward set-up, in which case I am leading and check-raising in equal measure.

Good situations to do this aren't half as important as identifying bad ones to do it. Check-raising donkeys is bad. Check-raising pot committed players is bad. Check-raising on boards where you're representing a very polarised range is bad. If you can avoid those three spots, check-raising can become a regular part of your arsenal in almost any other situation.

4) Get the wife to do it. GG.

• edited August 2010
    Hey DOHHHHHHH, Buh-limey! Without wanting to sound too harsh, this is a bit of a jumble in terms of situations but here's my tuppence's worth anyway ;) 1) I hate giving this answer but it's so true: it's very much situation dependant. What are the effective stack sizes? Are you playing cash or MTT? What is your opponent's image and your perceived image to him? Which position did you raise from? For the sake of giving something more substantial, I would be 4 betting against maniacs, flatting against decent/regular aggro players, and 4bet/folding against nits, tightening a little if my opening raise was from early and loosening a little if my opening raise came from around the back. All of this is assuming I have over 40BBs. I am not going to be 3bet/folding with anything less as my stack size isn't good for faffing about like that ;) Re: the post flop action, I'm not sure I want to be checking across out of position too often. That flop is pretty dry and suits our hand well, so I am going to lead out about 75% of the time, with the other 25% purely to mix my ranges up a little. In your turn card examples I would do the following assuming we check-called the flop c-bet. Again though, I wouldn't be check-calling all that often in this spot; I'd either be check-raising or leading. Anyway... a) vs. a deuce on 9-5-3 rainbow. Lead. If you get any kind of re-raise action here I would then bin the hand. If he flats I check-call the river. b) vs. 9 turn. Same as above. Nines will be in your open/flatting range more than a standard 3bettors range imo, which allows you to rep it a little easier. If he raises us, I might shove if we're deep enough. Yes, sick move but if I have any sort of fold equity we've basically got to have run into a set or boat here for him to call. The range you mentioned doesn't have all that many nines in it, so shove away. Not to be recommended to many players in many spots though - all stack size/opponent dependent ;) c) vs Jack turn. Rub yourself a little bit and then get ready to stack him. I'd check-call turn and lead big on any river. d) vs Ace turn. Slap yourself a bit of letting an ace peel off then check-fold more often than not. If he checks behind on the turn I might be tempted to pay off a smallish bet on the river just to check his line out. 2) I will never ever go set mining for more than 20% of my stack. Personally, I am a bit of a nit on this, but then I am rubbish at hitting sets (not as good as some of the lads I saw play at Swansea!), so I might even fold if it's 15% of my stack. Again, rather than looking to flop sets for less than x% of my stack I'd rather be look to flop sets against players who I feel that, even if I miss, I can outplay post flop. That way I give myself two ways of winning: binking a set or being better at poker than them! 3) Check-raising nowadays is a little different from a couple of years ago. Check-raising back in the day (around 2007) actually meant a strong hand, whereas now it's just seen as another way of being a good aggro player, without a hand or not. To adjust to that, I tend to do it a little less myself in online tournaments UNLESS I am playing a reasonably straightforward set-up, in which case I am leading and check-raising in equal measure. Good situations to do this aren't half as important as identifying bad ones to do it. Check-raising donkeys is bad. Check-raising pot committed players is bad. Check-raising on boards where you're representing a very polarised range is bad. If you can avoid those three spots, check-raising can become a regular part of your arsenal in almost any other situation. 4) Get the wife to do it. GG.

here here...........great advice:)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
  • edited August 2010
    4bet/folding against nits, tightening a little if my opening raise was from early and loosening a little if my opening raise came from around the back. All of this is assuming I have over 40BBs. I am not going to be 3bet/folding with anything less as my stack size isn't good for faffing about like that ;) Re: the post flop action, I'm not sure I want to be checking across out of position too often. That flop is pretty dry and suits our hand well, so I am going to lead out about 75% of the time, with the other 25% purely to mix my ranges up a little. In your turn card examples I would do the following assuming we check-called the flop c-bet. Again though, I wouldn't be check-calling all that often in this spot; I'd either be check-raising or leading. Anyway... a) vs. a deuce on 9-5-3 rainbow. Lead. If you get any kind of re-raise action here I would then bin the hand. If he flats I check-call the river. b) vs. 9 turn. Same as above. Nines will be in your open/flatting range more than a standard 3bettors range imo, which allows you to rep it a little easier. If he raises us, I might shove if we're deep enough. Yes, sick move but if I have any sort of fold equity we've basically got to have run into a set or boat here for him to call. The range you mentioned doesn't have all that many nines in it, so shove away. Not to be recommended to many players in many spots though - all stack size/opponent dependent ;) c) vs Jack turn. Rub yourself a little bit and then get ready to stack him. I'd check-call turn and lead big on any river. d) vs Ace turn. Slap yourself a bit of letting an ace peel off then check-fold more often than not. If he checks behind on the turn I might be tempted to pay off a smallish bet on the river just to check his line out. 2) I will never ever go set mining for more than 20% of my stack. Personally, I am a bit of a nit on this, but then I am rubbish at hitting sets (not as good as some of the lads I saw play at Swansea!), so I might even fold if it's 15% of my stack. Again, rather than looking to flop sets for less than x% of my stack I'd rather be look to flop sets against players who I feel that, even if I miss, I can outplay post flop. That way I give myself two ways of winning: binking a set or being better at poker than them!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    firstly, holy wall of text batman.

just wondering about a few points that you made,
    if you're going to 4bet/fold JJ then you should just fold to the 3bet
     when we have JJ oop in a 3bet pot it is essentially a bluff catcher (as if were vs maniac or if have history we 4b/c pre) so i dont see why leading would be a fantastic option (i hardly ever lead and so could be wrong),are you playing on lead/calling or lead/folding flop? but it seems villain will either play perfectly against us (i.e fold all worse call/shove all sbetter) which means our bet is highly -ev. or are you leading to induce bluffs from AQ/AK and expecting them to just flat your lead with overpairs so you c/f the turn?? lead/folding the turn is just burning money. the pot is going to be  25-30bbs by this point.

you would lead the turn 9 to try and rep top set (dont think they will fold QQ+ unless its />200bb deep), but when you to turn top set you say you would check/call???

if villain checks back an ace on the turn and bets the river he is virtually never bluffing unless he is really terrible, as all his bluffs should be betting this turn because we never have Ax when we c/c this board.

if it costs you 15% of your stack to see the flop and you are trying to flop a set. 7.5:1 against doing this so you lose 15% 7.5 times for every one time you flop a set. 15*7.5 is 112.5 so in the long run you lose 112.5% to win 100% of your stack. (you can argue that you will sometime win unimproved, but then you can also not stack villain when you flop a set (sooo tilting), or lose when you flop a set.
  • edited August 2010
    I must be thicker than I thought can someone please answer the question "What should I do" in an idiot format for my benifit please..... its become so complicated now. Hooks are a nightmare for me so following this thread with interest.