You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who's the Daddy?

edited August 2010 in The Shed

Got excited at the title there, thought it was going to be a Jeremy Kyle job.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I have been studying my family history from the male side, i will do my mothers side later. I have been trawling archives, census data etc to build up a comprehensive tree, i then read something that made me think? In the early days of DNA testing, a study took place where a large group of new mothers and their husbands had dna profiles taken to see the results in the new offspring. At this time people were not generally aware of dna unless they were in the scientific community. After the results were compiled, the scientists thought at first their processes were flawed as a large proportion of the results didn't match! Obviously nowadays people are 'savvy' to this procedure and it is impossible to pass another mans child off as the husbands after a dna test, but throughout history this must have been quite a common practice! The results showed a 18% 'no match' rate. As this was before people were generally aware, i reckon this figure would match throughout history (unless you did the tests in Scotland or Wales which would probably mean the negative results being much higher lol). My question now is, what are the chances of your great, great, great grandfather being 'genetically' related to you? Quite low i reckon, if it was poker and you went all in 5 times being the 82% favourite, would you put your life on winning all 5 hands? I also watched the programme 'who do you think you are' where they looked into the history of ethnic peoples roots, one of them was a rasta from London who thought he was from the Congo, but was told he was in fact German lol. It turns out that in the early days of slavery it was quite acceptable to 'use' the female slaves and a lot of children were conceived, i reckon this was also rife in the upper class households with the servants, in fact it is quite possible that they were all 'at it' in the 17th - 19th century's, now im not so sure who my ancesters really are, are you?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Who's the Daddy?:
    Got excited at the title there, thought it was going to be a Jeremy Kyle job.
    Posted by emilyegg
    Makes you think though eh? we're all just 5 steps away from being on the Jeremy Kyle show lol!
  • edited August 2010
    My step son who has called me dad since he was six ( now 24 ) has a daughter who calls me Granddad and absolutely loves me and is the total apple of my eye.

Wouldn't like to think that in 100 years time our DNA is tumbled about making my missus out as being an adulteress lol.

Who brings you or anyone else up with all their time, patience and love are your parents i suppose. But what about when there was no DNA technology at all ? You cant just go grave robbing for bits of bone or hair.

If you go back through your family tree to find out who's who it may be interesting but i suppose you are right and you will truly never know.

Whoever my ancestors were i would just like to think that i am the new, improved, streamlined and more intelligent version lolol.

P.S....I love watching Jeremy Kyle. It makes me feel lucky as foook that i am me and have my problems lol.