You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how wrong??

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
 Small blind  50.00 50.00 2630.00
philmenow Big blind  100.00 150.00 1220.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Raise  150.00 300.00 2480.00
philmenow Raise  200.00 500.00 1020.00
 Raise  500.00 1000.00 1980.00
philmenow All-in  1020.00 2020.00 0.00
 Raise  1240.00 3260.00 740.00
 Unmatched bet  620.00 2640.00 1360.00
 Show
  • A
  • K

philmenow Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

• J

River

Win high Flush to the King 2640.00  4000.00
 No qualifying low hand    

Comments

• edited August 2010
      Very interesting hand.

I can see where the issue is here and why you are posting it.

You have a very good PLO8 starting hand and 13 big blinds. The Sb has done the right thing with the preflop raise.Then the important part of the hand takes place when you reraised him which lead to a chain putting you all-in preflop. Then he hit and you missed and you crashed out.

The question is did you need to be all-in preflop at this stage.With the preflop raise the pot has been boosted up so it would be very easy to get all your chips over the line on any street.And with it only being a min raise you will have 11 BB behind when the flop comes so plenty enough to get them in or fold depending on the texture of the flop.

In PLO or PLO8 you are never far enough in front as too justify risking your tournament life preflop(unless really short stacked). In this hand if you flat call the min raise and see that flop then you can easily tell that the chances are you are drawing thin at best for the high and only drawing to a possible split with the nut Lo draw. Quite easy to get away from.

You need to try to avoid getting all your chips in preflop unless absolutely necessary. With only normally being 55-60% favourite preflop any allin action at this stage is just pure gamble. So my advice is to get into pots relatively cheaply with decent hands and then when you see the flop you have the opportunity to get your chips over the line when you can be 80% favourite.
  • edited August 2010
    thanx Talon,..i kikk myself evrytime this sort of thing happens whether in plo8,plo or in hold em,..why oh why do i 'risk' all my chips/tourney life etc...?? i have cut it out of my game alot(not quite enuff),but i do find myself very attatched to some cards/hands/situations..thnx again.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: how wrong??:
    thanx Talon,..i kikk myself evrytime this sort of thing happens whether in plo8,plo or in hold em,..why oh why do i 'risk' all my chips/tourney life etc...?? i have cut it out of my game alot(not quite enuff),but i do find myself very attatched to some cards/hands/situations..thnx again.
    Posted by philmenow
    Is'nt this the essence of poker. you think this is a stone cold hand cert (or fav cards) and on the river bang! the world champs are over!  as you see it a fluke hand for him/her

My first post here Hi

Paul
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: how wrong??:
    In Response to Re: how wrong?? : Is'nt this the essence of poker. you think this is a stone cold hand cert (or fav cards) and on the river bang! the world champs are over!  as you see it a fluke hand for him/her My first post here Hi Paul
    Posted by paulsmcc
    hi paul,very true...altho to be fair to oppo he had a fairly reasonable hand ,so im not complaining about his play,more my own.lol.