You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4-cards a calling station and a headache

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
OK omaha question. This opponent a clear calling station, he called my FH bet on the river previously with AK high.

so what do you guys think of this.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
macdadd133 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2085.00
emilyegg Big blind  30.00 45.00 1890.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q
  • K

Call  30.00 75.00 753.75
ash1999 Call  30.00 105.00 1897.50
The_Don90 Raise  150.00 255.00 3138.75
kellymj Fold     
macdadd133 Fold     
emilyegg Fold     
 Call  120.00 375.00 633.75
ash1999 Fold     
Flop

• A
  • K

Check     
The_Don90 Bet  281.25 656.25 2857.50
 Call  281.25 937.50 352.50
Turn

All-in  352.50 1290.00 0.00
The_Don90 Call  352.50 1642.50 2505.00
 Show
  • Q

The_Don90 Show
  • K
  • Q
  • K

River

• Q

Win Flush to the Ace 1642.50  1642.50
Ok should usually be a simple fold but not sure if im given the price to chace the board pair, which obviously didnt come.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    ur only outs where the FH .... IMO you over played KK with a rainbow hand pre flop its omaha! I would think you did have value to call.
  • edited August 2010
    im guessing this was a dym???

i think you ansered your own question mate.

his all in on the turn was only another 352 chips!!!

if that all in was for your whole stack easy fold...........

not sure what the odds are of the villain having 2 diamonds there but it must be quite good..
  • edited August 2010
      Firstly you need to learn how to evaluate a starting hand in omaha.

Yours is weak to marginal so you do not want to be raising big preflop.These hands need to be treated with care.Big PP are overrated and overplayed in omaha.With these type of hands you get and cheap and reevaluate on the flop.

The flop gives you the third nuts with not a lot of redraw potential on a very coordinated board.At this point when you should be wary you decide to c-bet and pot commit your opponent.

The turn completes the draws available and when your opponent bets out you should be very scared indeed. But you are being offered odds of just over 4 to 1 and you are about 4 to 1 to win so you have to call.

The only bit of your play that was good was the call on the turn.Preflop and flop was bad.Remember that also you are up against multiple hands  with your opponent. To give you an example with this hand if your opponent is holding AxAxQdJd then you are behind and drawing totally dead on the flop which you liked so much.

Rule 1 of omaha is do not overplay big pocket pairs because they miss a lot and even if they hit they are very vulnerable to redraws.
  • edited August 2010
    just out of curiousity talon what would you say is the best starting hand in omaha????
  • edited August 2010
      Not as straight forward a question as it seems.

From the purely technical side then AAKK ds is the best but preflop against 89TJ ds(other 2 suits) is only between 60-65% favourite.

Omaha is a game where favourite hands come more into play and player dependant on wether you prefer to play made hands or drawing hands,though a good player will do both.For me if i had to choose a starting hand it would be TJQK ds.
  • edited August 2010
    Just a amuzing story to add about PPs in omaha I played a DYM nl and a guy pushed all in he had a mega tilt because his hand AAAA was beat. he could not understand he had no draws lol
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: 4-cards a calling station and a headache:
    Just a amuzing story to add about PPs in omaha I played a DYM nl and a guy pushed all in he had a mega tilt because his hand AAAA was beat. he could not understand he had no draws lol
    Posted by waynecure
    now thats dafter than me
  • edited August 2010
    aaaa does look a pretty hand on paper lol!!!

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: 4-cards a calling station and a headache:
    Posted by waynecure
    lol...if only all 4 counted...thatd be a head-fry sort of game.