You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Safe or not so safe

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
The_Don90 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.00
 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.52
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Raise  £0.50 £0.65 £13.43
 Fold     
 Fold     
The_Don90 Call  £0.45 £1.10 £9.55
 Call  £0.40 £1.50 £9.12
Flop

• J

The_Don90 Check     
 Check     
 Bet  £1.50 £3.00 £11.93
opinions please. i will tell you what i done afterwards.

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    call flop
    c/evaluate turn ui

but this is so much easier with reads if you have any?
  • edited August 2010
    Myself would be happy enough with this flop for 77 just the one over card, he may have AJ. I would hit him with a good strong reraise find out where you stood if he has the J he will let you know about it. He is going to bet out at you on the next street if you call anyway and could improve his hand.
  • edited August 2010
    sorry i always forget to add my reads, ive been at the table for 2 circles, the guy had only played his blinds until this hand
  • edited August 2010
    need to know if oppo has been c-betting a lot if we plan to flat and re-evaluate

there arent many good turn cards for u when just c/c the flop, if we are ahead we have to still check turn and give another free card which sucks. not good being oop and a player to act behind either

i think i prefer donking out this flop as a lot of the time they will have overs and/or fd so can bet to protect and for value, obv if we get action we can shutdown/hope for showdown

just not a fan of c/c multiway as when we call it might bring in the other player and we will just hate life on the turn and c/f nearly any card that isnt 6 or less!

ps. i hope u didnt c/r to "find out where u were"
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    Yeh c/ring is pretty awful, but lynx if you're donk betting alot (and planning to b/f) with 2nd pair type hands it can get very exploitable against good players when they start to raise you with fd's/complete air. And you may be losing value from a possible c-bet by donking as well.
  • edited August 2010
    yeh true yb, you can mix up what u donk with i guess....feels like donking out multiway is best as you dont want it checked round....HU i c/c all day. not sure maybe im wrong....

if u get raised after donking ur obv in a horrid spot so it comes down to ur perceived range etc etc but at this levels i dont give credit for anyone thinking that line

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Safe or not so safe:
    need to know if oppo has been c-betting a lot if we plan to flat and re-evaluate there arent many good turn cards for u when just c/c the flop, if we are ahead we have to still check turn and give another free card which sucks. not good being oop and a player to act behind either i think i prefer donking out this flop as a lot of the time they will have overs and/or fd so can bet to protect and for value, obv if we get action we can shutdown/hope for showdown just not a fan of c/c multiway as when we call it might bring in the other player and we will just hate life on the turn and c/f nearly any card that isnt 6 or less! ps. i hope u didnt c/r to "find out where u were"
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    You should have bet first! But you checked, so according to some folks just call/check every street for value with 77 to find his hand improved on the turn or river, had a J or an over pair. At this point with 77 what better flop are you looking for apart from 777 ????? your only option is raise or fold to end the story here.
  • edited August 2010
    Argh i must be the only idiot who folded here.

I was wary of the guy as he hadnt raised before.
  • edited August 2010
    Don i dont think fold is wrong, sometimes you have to go on your instinct

ITs better to fold then to call and not know where your at, or get out the way if you think he has jack or a 5

I would be borderline and player dependant on whether to call/ re-raise or fold

2 rounds doesn't really say much he could be having a quiet spell(changing gears) or he could be really tight which means he's either c betting hoping you've noticed he hasnt played a hand or he could geniunely have a hand so i would fold in this spot tooo
  • edited August 2010
    thanks young gun. The guy left not long after i stayed for an another hour making £17 quid, so im happy i folded here looking back, if i had called maybe id have left with a loss.
  • edited August 2010
    Fold is fine.

Check/Call is fine.

Bet/fold is fine.

The only thing I ain't too keen on is c/raising.

Don't think their is any perfect way to play the hand, just need to try and judge the player who is making the c-bet.

I prob c/c and re-evaluate. If it comes a brick like a 2 or something and you check and he bets you need to decide if this guy would two barrel with air or not, at these limits I guess not and probably muck my 7's. Unless the bet is small and looks weak then I'll prob c/r and just kill the hand there and then.

Difficult spot with lots of different ways to play it.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Safe or not so safe:
    sorry i always forget to add my reads, ive been at the table for 2 circles, the guy had only played his blinds until this hand
    Posted by The_Don90

then c/f is fine imo.