You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with charity poker event

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

I own a bistro/pub in the Halifax area and employee a local lass whom is 27 with 2 children under 10, her husband of 32 beat cancer a few years ago but sadly it seems to have come back. My staff, customers and myself are now trying to raise funds to send the family on a dream holiday more for the kids than for the parents but if events turned out for the worse what great memories for those kids.

We have now organised a bungee jump fun day and are also looking to put on a charity poker event, the problem is no idea how to structure such an event.... any ideas please?

Also anyone in the Halifax, West Yorkshire area who would be interested in getting involved or taking part please do get in touch.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    The structure is relatively easy. It could depend on the chips available though. 

How long do you want the game (tournament I assume) to last? How many players?

Re the pub bit :-

The Act allows non-commercial gaming, that is to say gaming which takes place at a non-commercial event, either as an incidental or principal activity at the event. Events are non-commercial if no part of the proceeds is for private profit or gain. The proceeds of such events may benefit one or more individuals if the activity is organised:
    • by, or on behalf of, a charity or for charitable purposes, or
    • to enable participation in, or support of, sporting, athletic or cultural activities

Section 297(3) of the Act defines ‘proceeds’ as:
    • the sums raised by the organisers (whether by way of fees for entrance or for participation, by way of sponsorship, by way of commission from traders, or otherwise)
    minus:
    • amounts deducted by the organisers in respect of costs reasonably incurred in organising the event.

The conditions for non-commercial equal chance gaming, set out in section 300 of the Act, are as follows:
    • All players must be told for what purpose the money raised from the gaming is going to be used (this must be something other than private gain), and the profits must be applied for that purpose
    • The gaming must also comply with regulations1 made, limiting:
    o the maximum payment each player can be required to make to participate in all games at an event to £8
    o the aggregate amount or value of prizes in all games played at an event to £600, although where an event is the final one of a series in which all of the players have previously taken part, a higher prize fund of up to £900 is permitted
    • The non-commercial event cannot take place on premises (other than a track) which hold a premises licence, nor on a track at a time when activities are being carried on in reliance on a premises licence, nor on premises at a time when activities are being carried on in reliance on a temporary use notice. There is nothing to stop such premises running charitable or other gambling events to raise money for good causes, but they should do so using the gambling permissions granted to them by their premises licence or temporary use notice. The one exception to this is that a non-commercial event can take place at a track or premises subject to a temporary use notice, provided no gambling activities are taking place in reliance on the licence or notice at the same time. This enables a track to be used for non-commercial gambling when races are not taking place
    • The gaming must be non-remote gaming. In other words, the authorisation can only apply to gaming which takes place at events, on premises, and for gaming in person.

This is all taken from - :

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    And there was me thinking you typed that all out yourself! :p
  • edited August 2010
    Wayne if you give me a PM ill givve you my e-mail/msn and ill work something out with you that could work i have a numberof structures sitting in a folder i could discuss with you.
  • edited August 2010
    A freezeout is your easiest and best shout.

You want to try not to give too many chips out at the start, people are slow with chips and it's easier to count up a big chip stack. so eg a 3k stack could be made up of [4x 25; 4x100; 3x500; 1x1k]

For example, 

blinds of 

1: 25-50
    2: 50-100
    3: 75-150
    4: 100-200
    5: 150-300
    6: 200-400
    7: 250-500
    8: 300-600
    9: 400-800
    10: 500-1k

with 3-4k to start, and 15-20 min blinds, should allow for a good game that doesn't take too long.

If you want to include antes, make level 5= :100/200/25 ante, 6: 150/300/25 7: 200/400/50 8: 250/500/50 9:300/600/100 10: 400/800/100 11: 500/1k/100

Something like that should suffice, you can also download/buy a program that can run the info about the tourny blinds etc on a monitor/tv.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with charity poker event:
    And there was me thinking you typed that all out yourself! :p
    Posted by yb

no longer than that, I searched for the legal info and read the documents to find the pertinent bits, don't really know why it was a bit interesting though I suppose lol
  • edited August 2010
    Wayne if you give me a PM ill givve you my e-mail/msn and ill work something out with you that could work i have a numberof structures sitting in a folder i could discuss with you.
    Posted by The_Don90
    PM sent Don many thanks
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with charity poker event : no longer than that, I searched for the legal info and read the documents to find the pertinent bits, don't really know why it was a bit interesting though I suppose lol
    Posted by beaneh
    lol what a loser!!!!

(can you send me the links?)

• edited August 2010

Many thanks beaneh

Any more info on the program for info we have 3 large screens scattered round the place so that would be good.

Cheers m8

• edited August 2010
    I gave the link dumbo :p

The conditions are from the pdf guide I looked at, there's tonnes!
  • edited August 2010
    Many thanks beaneh Any more info on the program for info we have 3 large screens scattered round the place so that would be good. Cheers m8
    Posted by waynecure

There is one that's widely known/used -

It has a free trial download feature as most things do, I'm sure that means some features will be disabled, but i've just downloaded it and tried to use it and it's pretty intuitive imo and seems to do most of the things you could think of doing. It even has some template structures for 1k chip starting stacks with ideas as to how long they last depending on the structure. All the info is in the template file names.

I think it's ~$35 if you want to buy the working thing but then you have it I guess. 

I'm sure there is software that is fully functioning and free out there but I haven't ever had the need.
  • edited August 2010
    Wayne i gave you an e-mail. talks a little about the programme Beaneh recommeneded. i use the trial version for home games, its very simple to use. If you can e-mail me back ill have a look at all the ones ive got and get the most suitable one for you.
  • edited August 2010
    Wayne i gave you an e-mail. talks a little about the programme Beaneh recommeneded. i use the trial version for home games, its very simple to use. If you can e-mail me back ill have a look at all the ones ive got and get the most suitable one for you.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cheers Don

check your inbox have replied... cheers!
  • edited August 2010

Hi Wayne,

I just got your PM, but I'm heading out in a few minutes & don't have time to reply to it properly right now. Remind me later in the week, please, & I'll DEFFO do something along the lines you suggested.

You do not appear to have mentioned what date the Poker Tourney is - please advise.

Thanks.

• edited August 2010
    sent you a couple back Wayne. One is more basic information covered the second is a structure that ive modified. Ive used the one i sent you once before and it was a very appealing one.
  • edited August 2010
    sent you a couple back Wayne. One is more basic information covered the second is a structure that ive modified. Ive used the one i sent you once before and it was a very appealing one.
    Posted by The_Don90

erm dont choose the structure until you know how many runners/what you are trying to achieve.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with charity poker event : erm dont choose the structure until you know how many runners/what you are trying to achieve.
    Posted by beaneh
    he gave me a list of what he expected, so i gave him one based on that.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with charity poker event : he gave me a list of what he expected, so i gave him one based on that.
    Posted by The_Don90

ah kewl furry mu.ff. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks to all for your help will get a date sorted now and let everyone who has advised me what the numbers are ect as sure between us we can come up a real good event.

cheers guys
  • edited August 2010

Hey Wayne

I'm in Bradford so I'll come along play/help/rollmiyorkshiresleevesupandgetstuckin

Send me a PM with details

I wish there were more people like you in the world!!!!

(I will not however bungy jump!!!)

xx

• edited August 2010
    Ok for all those that have shown an interest its sat 2nd Oct daytime, 50 Max, £8 plus one rebuy 3/4 starting stack in first hour with add on option if not used rebuy. PM TK whom replied saying maybe able to offer some sort of prize from SKY lets hope he can help.

Many Thanks Wayne