You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak

2»

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak:
    2) Flop play: PA is defo right to check, but once lederer folds, i think PA should get out of the way. Laak betting 16k into 20k on flop is fine. repping big pair, standard c bet. Lederer should raise.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Lederer raising the flop in this spot would be truly awful imo - no way either PA or PL is continuing with worse (apart from maybe AhXh type hands which would have around 50% equity against him anyway) so all he does is fold out any bluffs/worse pairs that may continue on later streets or just gives some more monies away when he's behind. He's also probably not going to be getting any better hands to fold as PL doesnt cbet here with middle pairs all that much for pot control. So all in all its not a great spot to put in a raise.

And if you did raise in Lederer's position, would you be raising for value or just to 'ask a question'? Like just say you got 3 bet or PL called the raise how would you react then?
  • edited August 2010
    er... exactly. He gets them to fold lesser hands, which is the point- he's not sat with aces. When you have that vulnerable a hand, best to take it down while you're ahead- if you've got 10-9 on a 9 5 3 board, do you just sit and call in order to keep players involved with their hands? What do you do then when the turn hits a J/Q/K/A?

If he calls he has virtually no idea where he is, the only way a call is good is if he makes the decision he's reraising the turn, no matter what. Lederer should wise up to the fact that because he's got a reputation as such a supertight nit, players will take note when he starts raising postflop and be much more likely to respect it. I think you have to raise 8's on that board to at least find out what's happening, everyone folds- happy days. Someone raises, reassess. Someone calls, reassess on the turn. But put the big decisions on your opponents to start.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : Lederer raising the flop in this spot would be truly awful imo - no way either PA or PL is continuing with worse (apart from maybe AhXh type hands which would have around 50% equity against him anyway) so all he does is fold out any bluffs/worse pairs that may continue on later streets or just gives some more monies away when he's behind. He's also probably not going to be getting any better hands to fold as PL doesnt cbet here with middle pairs all that much for pot control. So all in all its not a great spot to put in a raise. And if you did raise in Lederer's position, would you be raising for value or just to 'ask a question'? Like just say you got 3 bet or PL called the raise how would you react then?
    Posted by yb
    ok, so are you flatting or folding? flatting is ugh imo, folding is understandable, and with PA still in the hand i might wimp out too! but 88 is good there a lot, surely?

i am raising to ask the question. if i have a respected tight image i prob take down the pot if i think PL is standard C betting, which he is. If PL calls, and checks the turn, i fire big again (assuming PA has folded) if you get 3 bet you have to fold.

i know i only have 88, but a raise there looks strong, maybe like a set sometimes... The point is, as HL has position, and has rereaised the flop there PL really does need to have the goods to continue, so get the raise size right and you win a nice pot there and then.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak :  i am raising to ask the question.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    SUPER-SYSTEM IS NOT STILL RELEVANT
  • edited August 2010
    Ok, there are clear divides of opinion which is perfect for here :)  To move it on I have a question:

If PL lacking awareness of his own self-image?  If he checked back the turn and then bet/raise the river does that get through in your opinions?
  • edited August 2010
    Not for me TommyD, again looks like a bluff 95% of the time imo

Phil Laak is a Nit, so cant see him checking a good hand at any point, maybe PA got lucky this time but i think he has put him on the exact hand the way he has played it
  • edited August 2010
    PA's flop play is fine because he can just c/r an blank turn and fire river and get PL to fold a huge amount of the time. infact he can lead just about any card except for Q/K/A and put PL in such a terrible spot even if he does have aces. he just hits one of the very few turns that give him equity and good implied odds vs PL.

if he checks the turn and bets the river he is repping a wider value range than he is by 3barreling. whether PA will believe him or not is another matter.

greghogg why would you raise the flop and bet the turn big

you will have to make it atleast 50k on the flop so the pot size on the turn is atleast 120k. you bet 100k and he jams on you. and you get to fold. i think stack sizes are around 250k at this point so you are going to have put 2/3 of your stack into the middle and then fold, wp.

there are times when betting for protection is good, this is not one of them.

• ybyb
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : ok, so are you flatting or folding? flatting is ugh imo, folding is understandable, and with PA still in the hand i might wimp out too! but 88 is good there a lot, surely? i am raising to ask the question. if i have a respected tight image i prob take down the pot if i think PL is standard C betting, which he is. If PL calls, and checks the turn, i fire big again (assuming PA has folded) if you get 3 bet you have to fold. i know i only have 88, but a raise there looks strong, maybe like a set sometimes... The point is, as HL has position, and has rereaised the flop there PL really does need to have the goods to continue, so get the raise size right and you win a nice pot there and then.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Are you turning your hand into a bluff then? I would much rather do this with a draw that has a chance of improving, rather than a decent hand with s/d value but which when you get any action from your raise you know is pretty worthless. All raising to ask the question with a marginal hand does is fold out worse and keep in better, so yes it means anyone with overcards loses the 25% equity they have against us, but by flat calling we can get more money from the 75% of time they dont hit if they're capable of continuing, and it also allows us to get off cheaper when they have a better hand depending on reads, what % of time we think they will double/triple barrel etc.

And deuces, calling the flop with 88 and then raising the turn is just unbelievably bad considering how polarised PL's range is there, what would a turn raise achieve?

• edited August 2010
    The more I look at this hand the more I think that if PL adjusts his play v PA he can turn him into a mini ATM in the short term and turn this hero call -EV
  • edited August 2010
    You lot make me so proud.

Keep it going! :)
  • edited August 2010
    The more I look at this hand the more I think that if PL adjusts his play v PA he can turn him into a mini ATM in the short term and turn this hero call -EV
    Posted by TommyD

Except he cant because PA>PL lol
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : Except he cant because PA />PL lol
    Posted by beaneh
    Respectfully disagree.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : Respectfully disagree.
    Posted by TommyD
    sorry but i agree with beane here, again respectfully ......
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : Respectfully disagree.
    Posted by TommyD

I'll be honest and say I have no respect for your opinion IF You think Laak is better than Antonius!
  • edited August 2010
    why would you raise the flop and bet the turn big? 

To win the pot

Am i turning my hand into a bluff?, yes quite possibly, but if PL doesnt have have AA or KK could you call here, after i have raised with the 88 on the flop and then bet the turn a reasonable size?  

Again, this is a play to win the pot, possibly crazy unorthadox play, but i thought the idea of poker was to confuse opponants, not to all play the same way...

• edited August 2010
    why would you raise the flop and bet the turn big?  To win the pot Am i turning my hand into a bluff?, yes quite possibly, but if PL doesnt have have AA or KK could you call here, after i have raised with the 88 on the flop and then bet the turn a reasonable size?   Again, this is a play to win the pot, possibly crazy unorthadox play, but i thought the idea of poker was to confuse opponants, not to all play the same way...  
    Posted by GREGHOGG

you're just going to win the least and lose the most like that, hence why it's not advisable.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : you're just going to win the least and lose the most like that, hence why it's not advisable.
    Posted by beaneh
    Ok, maybe this is why i should stick to mtts:)

but its still a fun way of playing
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : Ok, maybe this is why i should stick to mtts:) but its still a fun way of playing
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    you'd have more reason to try and win 'the pot' in a tourny because of the limited chips. but in a cash game you want to make the best play possible on every street it is better for him to make a decision now and a tougher one on the next street than try and take it down now in a wa/wb spot.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : I'll be honest and say I have no respect for your opinion IF You think Laak is better than Antonius!
    Posted by beaneh
    lol  I never said that.  I respectfully disagreed your assertion that PL couldn't adjust his game against PA in the short term to make money out of him in similar situations.  I emphasize again 'the short term.'
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Line Check: Patrik Antonius vs Phil Laak : lol  I never said that.  I respectfully disagreed your assertion that PL couldn't adjust his game against PA in the short term to make money out of him in similar situations.  I emphasize again 'the short term.'
    Posted by TommyD

he couldn't though.

if he could he'd have outplayed someone on tv rather than just playing horrifically tight, never going for value and doing rando bluffs
  • edited August 2010
    and open jamming with aces utg in PAD cash game?
  • edited August 2010
    and open jamming with aces utg in PAD cash game?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Really?  Ok I might have to revise my statement to a one eyed monkey could adjust their game here v PA instead.
  • edited September 2010
    BUMP

So what did Laak say about this hand Dave?
  • edited September 2010
    Good bump, BrownnDog! Been a bit hectic in the office this last week so apologies for not getting back to you all sooner.

OK, around a year ago I was part of a workshop which involved a hand analysis of the above. A group of around 30  discussed the hand, breaking down the logic of each play and how we felt about the respective plays. The conclusion of the group as a whole was that Laak had played the hand a little inconsistently and that the bet size and speed on the river gave his hand away a little considering this is Phil Laak making the play. We concluded he wasn't capable of value betting one pair type hands in this spot too often (and certainly not against a hand reader of Antonius' quality), and so that was that.

Except it wasn't. A booming voice came from the back of the room.

"Pizza. Who ordered pizza?!"

Phil Laak walked in.

His verdict on the hand? "I played like hand like a ****" was his exact response. The part of the hand he critiqued most wasn't his river play but actually his preflop play. What was Phil Laak doing raising from the effective UTG with AJo? It's different doing this at his usual limits, but this table included Antonius, Negreanu and Dwan. This is a table where thin calls and hand reading is going to be top notch.

Preflop he's playing his hand, albeit badly. Post flop he said he was repping AA/KK or perhaps Ah-Kh. The bet on the turn is too small - 37k into 52k doesn't look like a Laak style bet typically, although he's unlucky PA picks up a flush draw to go with his second pair. He said that he put him on some kind of pair and draw combo, so something like 53o. The turn is a bad card for him to barrel on, too. If he's repping AA or KK on the flop, the K makes one half of those two so much less likely. Now PA can narrow him to something like Ah-Kh, AA or air. Sets don't really come much into the reckoning as PL didn't feel PA would reckon him capable of opening from UTG with 44-22.

The river bet wasn't good, either. PL normally won't value bet one pair here, so it's making his hand look even more like a bluff. PA knows how PL plays, and PL would check behind on the river with AK here a very high percentage of the time; the $127k in the pot is more than enough for PL, thinks PA, so PL will only be betting bluffs.

Interestingly, PL didn't chastise HL's play too much. He said that his line until the turn reasonably looked like a bigger pair, and that PL is generally a pretty tight player who won't be messing around with AJo in this spot too often.

It was interesting stuff and a hand that genuinely split our opinions. The overriding factor though was the perceived images of the two main players. Antonius knows Laak to be a reasonably nitty player, so betting the river would only be possible with a set in Antonius' mind. I found it really useful understanding how one of the best known players in poker reasoned through the hand, and while he does get a lot of stick for being tight etc, not all players can be an Antonius or Dwan. Fair play to Laak for trying and setting light to perfectly good money, in my opinion.