You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"At The Races"......

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

I'm having a sort of day's holiday tomorrow, attending York Races as a Guest of Sky Bet.

I used to be an avid horse-racing follower, though I was more a NH man than a Flat race fan, but I enjoyed both for many many years, & was a Member at Cheltenham & Newmarket for a very long tiime. I have a huge library of turf books, mainly on thoroughbred breeding & related stuff, & every TimeForm Annual from about 1947 until 1980. All rather dusty now, I'm afraid, with never enough time to read about, or follow, the racing scene.

So, I'm much looking forward to tomorrow.

I'm driving up today - very shortly in fact, to dodge the traffic - & am booked into a beautiful Hotel in the middle of York for tonight & tomorrow.

If I can get up early enough tomorrow morning, I can take my pick of things to go see - York Minster, or The National Railway Museum. Hmm.......    

There's also a really splendid Palace - proper Palace! - just outside York, which I always try to visit when up that way, being the Official Residence of the Archbishop of York, who is quite a character, too.

The Palace details are here.....  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishopthorpe_Palace

And for John Sentamu, the current Archbishop of York, one of THE most interesting clerics you could ever imagine, see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sentamu

Affter the racing on Friday, I'll be doing PTP from my Hotel, so hope we can have a little fun that evening.

I'll be heading home to Derbyshire on Saturday, & back South to London on Sunday for Sunday evening's Show.

Monday I'm heading West, to Cardiff, staying over on Monday night, for a mixture of business & pleasure, ending up at Les Croupiers Cardroom in Cardiff, where I hope a few of you may turn up for their £30 Freezeout. I also have two invites - one to play some Golf at Celtic Manor, the Ryder Cup Venue, (very near Cardiff), & one to pop in & watch the filming of Late Night Poker. A few good friends are playing LNP on Monday & Tuesday, including James "Flushy" Dempsey, & a certain Mr Orford has the Presenter gig, well done him.

I'll take my camera, so hopefully I'll return with a bunch of blurry photos.

See you all soon.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Have a great time tikay.
  • edited August 2010

Pop in and see me Tikay!!!

Wish I could go to the races!

I am playing at Grosvenor Leeds tonight (the place Tighty did a review for), if you fancy a game I can pick you up on route!

It is a £15 double chance I think £2k guaranteed (will have overlay)

• edited August 2010
    In Response to "At The Races"......:
    I'm having a sort of day's holiday tomorrow, attending York Races as a Guest of Sky Bet. I used to be an avid horse-racing follower, though I was more a NH man than a Flat race fan, but I enjoyed both for many many years, & was a Member at Cheltenham & Newmarket for a very long tiime. I have a huge library of turf books, mainly on thoroughbred breeding & related stuff, & every TimeForm Annual from about 1647 until 1980. All rather dusty now, I'm afraid, with never enough time to read about, or follow, the racing scene. So, I'm much looking forward to tomorrow. I'm driving up today - very shortly in fact, to dodge the traffic - & am booked into a beautiful Hotel in the middle of York for tonight & tomorrow. If I can get up early enough tomorrow morning, I can take my pick of things to go see - York Minster, or The National Railway Museum. Hmm.......     There's also a really splendid Palace - proper Palace! - just outside York, which I always try to visit when up that way, being the Official Residence of the Archbishop of York, who is quite a character, too. The Palace details are here.....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishopthorpe_Palace And for John Sentamu, the current Archbishop of York, one of THE most interesting clerics you could ever imagine, see.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sentamu Affter the racing on Friday, I'll be doing PTP from my Hotel, so hope we can have a little fun that evening. I'll be heading home to Derbyshire on Saturday, & back South to London on Sunday for Sunday evening's Show. Monday I'm heading West, to Cardiff, staying over on Monday night, for a mixture of business & pleasure, ending up at Les Croupiers Cardroom in Cardiff, where I hope a few of you may turn up for their £30 Freezeout. I also have two invites - one to play some Golf at Celtic Manor, the Ryder Cup Venue, (very near Cardiff), & one to pop in & watch the filming of Late Night Poker. A few good friends are playing LNP on Monday & Tuesday, including James "Flushy" Dempsey, & a certain Mr Orford has the Presenter gig, well done him. I'll take my camera, so hopefully I'll return with a bunch of blurry photos. See you all soon.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wow mate what a collection ;o)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to "At The Races"......:
    I'm having a sort of day's holiday tomorrow, attending York Races as a Guest of Sky Bet. I used to be an avid horse-racing follower, though I was more a NH man than a Flat race fan, but I enjoyed both for many many years, & was a Member at Cheltenham & Newmarket for a very long tiime. I have a huge library of turf books, mainly on thoroughbred breeding & related stuff, & every TimeForm Annual from about 1947 until 1980. All rather dusty now, I'm afraid, with never enough time to read about, or follow, the racing scene. So, I'm much looking forward to tomorrow. I'm driving up today - very shortly in fact, to dodge the traffic - & am booked into a beautiful Hotel in the middle of York for tonight & tomorrow. If I can get up early enough tomorrow morning, I can take my pick of things to go see - York Minster, or The National Railway Museum. Hmm.......     There's also a really splendid Palace - proper Palace! - just outside York, which I always try to visit when up that way, being the Official Residence of the Archbishop of York, who is quite a character, too. The Palace details are here.....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishopthorpe_Palace And for John Sentamu, the current Archbishop of York, one of THE most interesting clerics you could ever imagine, see.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sentamu Affter the racing on Friday, I'll be doing PTP from my Hotel, so hope we can have a little fun that evening. I'll be heading home to Derbyshire on Saturday, & back South to London on Sunday for Sunday evening's Show. Monday I'm heading West, to Cardiff, staying over on Monday night, for a mixture of business & pleasure, ending up at Les Croupiers Cardroom in Cardiff, where I hope a few of you may turn up for their £30 Freezeout. I also have two invites - one to play some Golf at Celtic Manor, the Ryder Cup Venue, (very near Cardiff), & one to pop in & watch the filming of Late Night Poker. A few good friends are playing LNP on Monday & Tuesday, including James "Flushy" Dempsey, & a certain Mr Orford has the Presenter gig, well done him. I'll take my camera, so hopefully I'll return with a bunch of blurry photos. See you all soon.
    Posted by Tikay10

Dont forget to get a buggy
    You will so need one at your ......er....um.... to make you evening more relaxing.

Not played it since all the changes and you probably wont play it any better nick than it is now

Have a good one and enjoy.
  • edited August 2010
    I'll be there too! but probably a slightly less grand area of the venue!

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: "At The Races"......:
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Are you handing out samples of aftershaves and sprays in the Gents again then Rich?
  • edited August 2010

last time i was a york i was given a tip.  they said look out for horse called "lucky seven" given the number 7, drawn 7 and running in the seventh race starting at 1700hrs,  its odds were 7/1 so i put £7 on the nose.  race started and i repeated the number in my head over and over, and kept my fingers crossed.  it finished seventh.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: "At The Races"...... : Are you handing out samples of aftershaves and sprays in the Gents again then Rich?
    Posted by MAXALLY

haha close. i'll be dressed as a giant Kenco jar handing out free coffee.

no seriously, I'm from York and i always enjoy heading home and getting to an event when i can.

anyone got any good horse tips for tomorrow? - I should probably head to the shed for that :)
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    I was gonna go to the sponsors lounge and claim to be one of Tikay's "people"

You should try that Rich

My tip: Don't back York City for promotion!

Dave
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: "At The Races"...... : haha close. i'll be dressed as a giant Kenco jar handing out free coffee. no seriously, I'm from York and i always enjoy heading home and getting to an event when i can. anyone got any good horse tips for tomorrow? - I should probably head to the shed for that :)
    Posted by Sky_Rich

Go for the quickest one :-)

• edited August 2010
    Dr John is a great bloke....lol  and a York City fan too ...lol

Have a great day at the races