You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight's show! Bounty Hunter with Sarah and James

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
Hello folks!

Thursday night means its all about the Big Bounty Hunter Tournament, lots of hands, lots of action analysed throughout.  Loving the live interaction via the chat boxes direct to the studio now and we have a couple of hot topics to get our teeth into tonight

1)  Tracking software:  We touched briefly on this last week but what are your thoughts?  Does it mean that online poker is now a completely different game to live poker?  Love to hear what you think...

2)  Great gaffes!  Still not bored of watching the weatherman gaffe this week (if you missed it youtube it, it involves an unfortunate cut of the camera, an obscene gesture and a desperate attempt to cover it up, its great!)  So whats your greatest gaffe?  On or off the poker table.  Gone all in having mistaken a pair of 4's for a pair of Aces - flirted outrageuously with a female avatar only to find he's a 50 year old truck driver called Steve? you may laugh but it's happened... and to people I know.... ;-)

See you from 8

Sarah x

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Hi Sarah, James

Rich Orford would never, ever flirt with a female avatar, cough, cough, cough hehehehehe
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, the live poker vs on-line poker debate rages on (check out the direction that DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH's World Series thread has taken).

Are they REALLY the same game?

Are the differences just subtle nuances?

Do "Internet Players" under-rate things like physical tells?

We'd love to hear your thoughts...

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Tonight's show! Bounty Hunter with Sarah and James:
    Yes, the live poker vs on-line poker debate rages on (check out the direction that DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH's World Series thread has taken). Are they REALLY the same game? Are the differences just subtle nuances? Do "Internet Players" under-rate things like physical tells? We'd love to hear your thoughts...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I think online and live poker are two different games with the same rules i play on line and live, my live game is 30* better than my online game WHY? There are many reasons why but the amount of time in the live game to think and the interaction with people are the two that help me most.
    DAI
  • edited August 2010
    Not sure if it's my greatest gaffe, but at work we once had a bloke who seemed to have a very large face (compared to his body) so we called him 'Man With The Big Face' (behind his back). One day I walked into the office kitchen where he was washing out his mug and said "aahhh, man with the big face!" - And as it was coming out of my mouth my brain was crying out STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP but my mouth didn't obey. And he heard.

Awkward moment followed......
  • edited August 2010
    And come on, Sarah, I stuck up a link to Rude Weatherman on the day it happened - no need for people to visit Yooooooooootube they just need to visit our very own Shed ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    Can't watch the show tonight but I have to chip in to the online v live poker debate.

I started playing poker by playing online and playing live within a couple of weeks of each other.  They are completely different.  Or to put it another way, they are as different as Cash poker is to tournament poker.  Same rules, same deck, different approach and a vastly different skill set.

Unintentional brag but I won a 50 quid live event last Monday and then the Take on Tikay on Tuesday night.  I played two completely different styles.  Live I had take a lot of time to identify who I could bluff, bully and rob.  Online if my notes didn't show who they were they made themselves apparent far, far quicker than live.  To bluff online, I analyse the betting pattern and make one of the several plays I know to take down the pot.  Live I have to look another human being in the eye and convince them I have it, every muscle in my body has to tell them the story I want them to believe.

There are so many differences I cannot begin to list them all.  But they are different.  Trust me (p.s. I raise).
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Sarah and James

My most embarrasing story would be when i first started playing poker which was when i joined Sky Poker
    I flirted with Glitterbabe in the chatbox quite a bit

Was quite a while later i was told she was a man, RED FACE.

Other one was a hot summer when my son was about 3-4 years old, a huge body building type was walking towards us with his shirt off, after just passing us my son piped up "that man has big b oobs dad" Noooooooooo
    Did not look around.

LOL
    Gary
  • edited August 2010
    Hey guys, speaking of big gaffes I committed the ultimate. I am a manager of a bookmaker and obviously we have a very strict underage policy. Well a guy and what I assummed was his young daughter came in but i never saw her face and her back was always to me. Well as a responsible manager i went up to the guy and said as politely as i could, I'm ever so sorry sir but you're not allowed to bring children in to a betting shop to which he replied, this isn't a child, this is my wife!! At which point I turned my head to find the tinyiest 32 year old woman I have ever seen in my life. I was devastated, I didn't know where to look and what to say. Thankfully they were both very good about it but I was as red as a beetroot!! It goes without saying I always look at their face now before approaching.

John Ashton, aka shady969
  • edited August 2010
    Tracking sofware =Should be banned.
  • edited August 2010
    my gaffe and it`s scary for everyone, having a p.e lesson at school was in a slight rush and forgot 2 put my shorts on, worse was i was not wearin underwear so rushed to play area doing the half monty, arghhhhhhh, could you pass a message to lucy 111, can`t wait 2 play you with again, on the poker table,
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Sarah and James

could you take a look at this hand please, just want to know your thoughts on the check calling and then the call on the river..

Hand History #282014822
  • edited August 2010
    LOL @ Gaffes Sarah.

One from my collection from a few years back.

Wifes Grandma was in hospital....never knew overly well as I had only met her a couple of times at that point, but she seemed a lovely old dear, a typical Granny.

She had a MASSIVE family, so was never short of visitors, but my missus who does not drive was a bit upset that she would not be able to get up to the Hospital until the weekend.

I was working in Grimsby, so told her I would pop-in on the way home from work between 7 and 8.

Got the details of the ward etc, so everything was under control.

On arriving at the hospital, I picked up some flowers and a couple of mags, the usual fare.....

Got up to the ward, had a squint in (as you do) and said to one of the nurses that I was here to see Hilda....Before I could get it out the surname, the old dear on the first bed was waving at me.

How are you? heres some flowers, etc. Felt a wee bit uncomfy because I don't like hanging about in Hospitals (who does?) we had a chat, she even asked how the kids were! and if I wouldn`t mind going soon as Eastenders was coming on shortly. Not a problem, suited me and I could come back at the weekend with the wife anyway.

She cranked up the telly, but no sooner had it came on, it went off. Out of credit.

Don't worry, I will get you one of the cards from the machine before I go Hilda.

£10 lighter at this point, as well as the flowers and mags, it turns out the wifes Gran was sound asleep at the other end of the ward and another old dear took advantage!!

Had trouble explaining it away when it turned out I had visited the wrong old Granny, but I was peeved that she let me buy her one of them £10 paitentline card for the phone/telly.

Doh.

• edited August 2010

greetings.
    ONE of my many gaffes happened at work, as so many do. My co-worker had just taken an extra 50% on his lunch break leaving me short handed. As he had done this many times i was a LITTLE annoyed, so proceeded to give him a piece of my mind..swear words liberally included. After a bit my supervisor suggested that enough was enough and maybe i should moderate my language. As i was soooo angry my reply was.." Bleep bleep I don't bleeping well care if the bleeping manager was bleeping stood behind me. I'm going to let this bleeping bleepwit what i bleeping think."!!! It was at this point that i realised that my supervisor had gone a funny colour and was looking behind me. Yes the bleeping manager WAS behind me, and future was set!!!
    best wishes
    laurie (lozgo)

• edited August 2010

i hope theshed, gets some cash 2nite, unforunatly he got disconnected when headsup, i waited for him, even though we could still talk, i`d said i`d wait 4 him, after a while he told me to go for it, as he could reconnect for some reason, can you wish him luck, as daughter needs laptop now, thanks

• edited August 2010

of course i just realised i wasn't check calling lol..

thanks for that james, looking back i played it pretty awful!

• edited August 2010
    Hey Lovely Sarah & Dapper James

I LOVE the fact that tracking software can't be used on sky...

That is all

x
  • edited August 2010
    when im bored i sometimes go to 2p/4p and just min raise any bet.

one time this other guy at the table realised what i wsa doing and would min re-raise me.

i once min 18bet folded.  boredem ftw.
  • edited August 2010
    Tracking software is great for players and not that bad for the game.

Online is different to live, and I think people really over estimate what they get from 'physical tells'. There can be so many mistakes made trying to guess whether the persons xyz shaking means this or this. 

There is nothing to stop me sitting with my hoody round my face or my hands over my face or massive sunglasses etc, what are you going to pick up if you can barely see me and I don't move or say a word Chris Ferguson style?

I think the knowledge and skills only transfer one way, going from online to live is fine and you have the knowledge to adapt your game, being a live player who tries to play online you have no chance. It would be a long hard grind and not many would be able to do it.

That weatherman gaffe is why gifs and youtube are the best ever. I wasn't up when it happened obviously but within two hours it was all over the web. Hilarious the way he tries to rescue it and just looks completely stupid. Fair play to him instantly putting out a message on his FB saying i'm an idiot and I can only apologise. From the links down the side of the youtube links he seems to get into trouble for saying or doing stuff all the time!
  • edited August 2010

years ago as a seventeen year old, my best friend and i went back to his house having been in the pub.  we were a wee bit drunk.  his mum was in the kitchen with us chatting and joking when my gaffe occurred.

something was said which led to me throwing an empty cigarette packet towards his mum thinking that she would catch it.  to my horror the empty packet spiralled through the air hitting her directly in the middle of her forehead.  and my friends mum shouted out.

i wanted to apologise, to say that i was genuinely very sorry.  i also wanted to say that it was only a empty packet and that i did not expect to cause her to shout out.  what i actually said, inadvertently, merged those two thoughts together saying, "I'm sorry, I don't think that hurt." and was thrown out bemused.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Tonight's show! Bounty Hunter with Sarah and James:
    Hi Sarah and James My most embarrasing story would be when i first started playing poker which was when i joined Sky Poker I flirted with Glitterbabe in the chatbox quite a bit Was quite a while later i was told she was a man, RED FACE. Other one was a hot summer when my son was about 3-4 years old, a huge body building type was walking towards us with his shirt off, after just passing us my son piped up "that man has big b oobs dad" Noooooooooo Did not look around. LOL Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    Don't be embarassed, most players still flirt with Gliterbabe at SPT events - good looking chap - We all love him, only problem is, I think Delta likes him a bit to much :)
  • edited August 2010
    perfect example of the bounty playing a massive part in the call!

Hand History #282042176
  • edited August 2010
    wow just watched sarah in that boyzone vid,well worth a look james.
  • edited August 2010
    hi sarah watchin show, jessica an becky say`s hi, and who`s the  amateur sittin beside you, lol
  • edited August 2010
    glitterbabe is a manbabe ?????
  • edited August 2010

on a lighter note who needs a tracking device, i have my daughter jessica, she`s my tracking device, she let`s me knows who the donks are and when to bet > lol

• edited August 2010
    Came 5th tonight! Crackin result for me...I Satellited in for £4.80 so in total a profit of £362.....Lovely jubbly! Needed that, been a while!!

Thanks!