You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL30 - Small Pair OOP

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Player X is very solid. Have notes on him that he's capable of slowplaying big pairs pre-flop and strong top-pair hands when HU with pre-flop raiser. No reads on Player Y.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £40.96
YoungUn Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £29.48
  Your hole cards

Player XRaise  £0.90 £1.35 £54.65
 Fold     
Player YRaise  £2.70 £4.05 £23.58
Fold     
 Fold     
YoungUn
My notes lead me to believe that player X's UTG raising range is weighted towards (but obv isn't limited to) AK and JJ+. In the short time that i'd been on the table he's only shown down 2 big pocket pairs. Player Y hasn't been busy enough to raise any suspicions.

Since I'm giving Player X credit for a pretty big hand, and my notes say that he's capable of playing them slowly pre-flop, do we still call and hope that he doesn't 4-bet? Can we set-mine profitably assuming there is no 4-bet? Am I being too nitty and giving Player X too much credit and should call this all day long?

Comments

• edited August 2010

Interesting question.

I probably fold tbh, im not feeling comfortable in this spot really..,

although im guessing a few people will attempt to set mine as you have big implied odds with the strength shown thus far. you bink your set its payday innit....

i have no idea whether it is profitable longterm to flat in this spot and im not gonna pretend that i know this answer, where are the maths boffins when you need em...

• edited August 2010
    Fold.

X is capable of slow playing a big hand but they are unlikely to do this against two players if they are solid.  The fear is if you flat Y's three-bet and then X four bets you've got a lot of dead money in there.  If your read on X is strong then get out of the way.
  • edited August 2010
    easy fold, dont even know why you made a thread about it. you dont get odds to setmine in 3bet pots 100b deep.
  • edited August 2010
    I asked a simular question about small PPs in a thread and from that the feeling was in this situation get out of the way, I think you have to dump um cus there is no way u can pump um.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    FOR ME AN EASY FOLD BUT IM A NIT.

youngun what were you doing sat at my 4nl table yesterday???

i had you and pattyk whos a 50nl reg sat there at one point!!!

i thought id sat at the wrong stake table lol
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: NL30 - Small Pair OOP:
    FOR ME AN EASY FOLD BUT IM A NIT. youngun what were you doing sat at my 4nl table yesterday??? i had you and pattyk whos a 50nl reg sat there at one point!!! i thought id sat at the wrong stake table lol
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Hey donkeyplop your becoming quite a mr/(ms) popular did I not visit you at your table too tonight? I was a bit shocked about the cross dressing thing though but we will keep it between ourselfs m8 .... shhh mums the word :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: NL30 - Small Pair OOP : Hey donkeyplop your becoming quite a mr/(ms) popular did I not visit you at your table too tonight? I was a bit shocked about the cross dressing thing though but we will keep it between ourselfs m8 .... shhh mums the word :)
    Posted by waynecure
    lol shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

im a laaaaaaady
  • edited August 2010
    Fold like a mo fo, far to expensive to set mine even with implied odds. also if you flat call their is no gurantee player still to act will just call
  • edited August 2010
    I did fold. Was put on monkey tilt that Player X just called the 3-bet, and then the first card out on the flop was a 4. After seeing that I tried convincing myself that I could have called, decided to double-check here to stop me being results orientated.

youngun what were you doing sat at my 4nl table yesterday???
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Had to withdraw most of my bankroll to pay for a weekend away, leaving me with a very safe roll for NL4 and NL8. Wanted to try and build it back up the "proper" way, by grinding those levels (hence why I was on your table yesterday) because I don't have any spare money to deposit atm, but I don't enjoy playing like a robot over 6 tables. I feel much more comfortable playing one or two tables at NL20 and NL30 despite the fact that it's horrible BRM.
  • edited August 2010
    lol youngun you even sound like me :P
  • edited August 2010
    I did fold. Was put on monkey tilt that Player X just called the 3-bet, and then the first card out on the flop was a 4. After seeing that I tried convincing myself that I could have called, decided to double-check here to stop me being results orientated. In Response to Re: NL30 - Small Pair OOP : Had to withdraw most of my bankroll to pay for a weekend away, leaving me with a very safe roll for NL4 and NL8. Wanted to try and build it back up the "proper" way, by grinding those levels (hence why I was on your table yesterday) because I don't have any spare money to deposit atm, but I don't enjoy playing like a robot over 6 tables. I feel much more comfortable playing one or two tables at NL20 and NL30 despite the fact that it's horrible BRM.
    Posted by YoungUn
    +1

thats why ive stepped down for a bit.