You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The BBC...

edited September 2010 in The Shed
I just want to have a moan about the BBC.

charging us for just owning a TV.

terrible, cheap, TV programmes.

no decent sports coverage.

radio is s**te too.

...if this was optional I definatley wouldnt be paying for it.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Some good nature programmes on BBC2
  • edited August 2010
    "no decent sports coverage"

Their F1 coverage is superb.

If I was to moan about any channel it would have to be ITV - what a complete waste of space, and all the rubbish they produce has to be 'sponsored' by some tat product. And then they have a big HD launch and still only show about one HD programme a day. Now they really are a joke.

• edited August 2010

Definitely the best of the terrestrial broadcasters.

Watching Susanna Reid on Breakfast is well worth £3 a week.

Sophie that reads the News is no Munter either.........

On reflection, at £150-ish a year for the TV License, I think we are getting a bargain just on the strength of these two appearing regularly.

• edited August 2010
    load of rubbish! I would scrap BBC and just pay for sky....I never watch BBC and dont see why I shouldnt have the option of turning it off and then not pay the charge.
    TV licence...why???? do they own TV's?!!! NO! RIP OFF! LOAD OF JUNK PROGRAMMES! NO CHOICE!
    I dont see how they can legally charge people to have a TV in their house!!! Charge for the BBC channels yes, but not for the TV!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The BBC...:
    load of rubbish! I would scrap BBC and just pay for sky....I never watch BBC and dont see why I shouldnt have the option of turning it off and then not pay the charge. TV licence...why???? do they own TV's?!!! NO! RIP OFF! LOAD OF JUNK PROGRAMMES! NO CHOICE! I dont see how they can legally charge people to have a TV in their house!!! Charge for the BBC channels yes, but not for the TV!
    Posted by BananaDog

Jeeeez uve started early aint ya!!!

Even I wait till it's gone midday before I let myself get a beer!
  • edited August 2010
    All the TV Channels can be guffaw at times....but if you think about it logically, you are paying every broadcaster for the programmes that your TV receives. The BBC call it a license fee, that is the only difference.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    How can any 1 watch a channel that kept a woor wee GOFFER (gordon) in a closet .
    And made us suffer that phillip shcofeilddy guy. He was the real muppet .
    Any way bar there F1 its a waste of lekkie
  • edited August 2010

I WOULDNT MIND PAYING FOR THE TERSTRIAL CHANNELS BUT THERE A SO MANY CHANNELS THAT ARE A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY NEWS24,BBC3,BBC4,BBC PARLIMENT AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT BBC ALBA SHOWS?
    AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON ALL THE BLOODY RADIO STATIONS.
    THE DECENT (DRAMAS,WILDLIFE,FILMS,DOCUMENTRY AND COMEDY) PROGRAMS PAY FOR THEM SELVES IN RESALES ABROAD.
    BUT THE BBC IN GENERAL IS OVER STAFFED BY ABOUT 50% AND £50 A YEAR WOULD BE A MORE REASONABLE FEE.

BY THE WAY NOSEY F1 ISNT A SPORT AND THE FACT IM PAYING FOR BASICALLY THE BIGGEST ADVERTISING EVENTS IN THE WORLD ON A NON ADVERTS CHANNEL TOTALY WINDS ME UP.

• edited August 2010
    BY THE WAY NOSEY F1 ISNT A SPORT
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Righteo, I just thought I heard someone call it 'motorsport'. My mistake ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    In my opinion, BBCs sports coverage is second to none.
  • edited August 2010
    I WOULDNT MIND PAYING FOR THE TERSTRIAL CHANNELS BUT THERE A SO MANY CHANNELS THAT ARE A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY NEWS24,BBC3,BBC4,BBC PARLIMENT AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT BBC ALBA SHOWS? AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON ALL THE BLOODY RADIO STATIONS. THE DECENT (DRAMAS,WILDLIFE,FILMS,DOCUMENTRY AND COMEDY) PROGRAMS PAY FOR THEM SELVES IN RESALES ABROAD. BUT THE BBC IN GENERAL IS OVER STAFFED BY ABOUT 50% AND £50 A YEAR WOULD BE A MORE REASONABLE FEE. BY THE WAY NOSEY F1 ISNT A SPORT AND THE FACT IM PAYING FOR BASICALLY THE BIGGEST ADVERTISING EVENTS IN THE WORLD ON A NON ADVERTS CHANNEL TOTALY WINDS ME UP.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    The BBC offers "something for everyone" really, but I do agree that some of the channels are a bit offbeat.

BBC Alba is a great station for us exiled Scots. It does show a full 90 minute SPL game on a Saturday Night.....normally the 0-0 one admittedly, and its commentary is in Gaelic, but once you have had a dozen pints it sounds quite nice.

Try watching Charlie & Lola or Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends) in Gaelic....its a proper headbender, I can tell you. But the main thing is the Bairns can work out whats going down.
  • edited August 2010
    If BBC sports coverage is 2nd to none  where do i sign up for NONE .
  • edited August 2010
    If BBC sports coverage is 2nd to none  where do i sign up for NONE .
    Posted by chew07
    ITV ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    well, it's 50/50 in my poll at the moment...and it gives me great pleasure in knowing the 50% of us are unhappy with what they are recieving for £145.50 per year...
  • edited August 2010
    well, it's 50/50 in my poll at the moment...and it gives me great pleasure in knowing the 50% of us are unhappy with what they are recieving for £145.50 per year...
    Posted by beginluck
    Its a good thread m8, but I would challenge ANYONE who has a Television and/or Radio (in their household) to manage to watch or listen to them WITHOUT using any BBC service for a week. (including recording anything). If you are in a family environment, I think this would be a tough one.
  • edited August 2010
    Eastenders alone is worth 12 squid a month
  • edited August 2010
    Eastenders alone is worth 12 squid a month
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

You need help! ;-) lol

• edited August 2010
    match of the day
    royal ascot
    f1
    love it
  • edited August 2010
    Just a few more...
    The Open Golf
    World Snooker/The Grand Prix/The Masters
    World Darts (ok its the Dog Version, but still worth a watch)
  • edited August 2010
    CASH IN THE ATTIC
    BARGIN HUNT
    FLOG IT
    All worth the license fee alone... now where`s my medication?
  • edited August 2010

We should have the choice whether we want to pay or not.  Its that simple.

There is sport on ESPN that I would happily watch if I was forced to pay for it but that don't make it right.

Having said all that balls, I would prob end up paying for it for the F1, remember the dark days when on ITV, cutting to a break during the most exciting part of the race.  That still winds me right up!!!

• edited August 2010
    The license fee would be £250 if it was not for the "secret" EU rebate that is paid to us in lieu of having to watch the Eurovision Song Contest every year.
  • edited August 2010
    Agreed, the BBC has done some great sports coverage & drama in the past. BUT, now, from a Business perspective it is totally flawed and will NOT survive in its current form, IF at all!!

I give them 5 years to change their business model or it will FAIL!!

Their Overheads & salaries are way to high! Their Pension liabilities will crippl e them, and they will in the future struggle to collect/justify the license fee!!

Like Steam trains once glorious in their prime, they must evolve or become history!!

GOD BLESS YOU AUNTIE, I will miss you!!
  • edited August 2010
    Yesterday the BBC announce they are going to be even more making huge cutbacks...

Today I learn Premier League matches are now only broadcast on Talk Sport...

.. and it's only going to get worse...

People just accept having to pay a TV licence, like income tax..but the world of media has changed, and is changing so much, i think it needs to be replaced, because we are being ripped off

• edited September 2010
    In Response to The BBC...:
    I just want to have a moan about the BBC. charging us for just owning a TV. terrible, cheap, TV programmes. no decent sports coverage. radio is s**te too. ...if this was optional I definatley wouldnt be paying for it.
    Posted by beginluck
    I have had a problem with paying for a tv licence for yrs.....especially when they pay ***** like Anne Robinson several million per yr ,....discracefull!