You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ethical chat!

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
I have AA in SB player raises mid position, I 3bet then he 4bets me.

While letting time bank run down I say in chat box "OK lets race" and shove the lot. I get my call he has QQ and a nice pay out.

Another player said this is unethical as I was saying I had AK, I never mentioned any hand and was trying to get the other player to get all his chips in the middle.

Myself see nowt wrong in trying to talk any opponent into a fold/call with mis-information ect as long as I dont name any cards in my hand.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    its not really good etiquette really but well played as you persuaded him to get the chips in and live you would have more opportunity to do this

Think the fact you have said that could be why they called, as it does sound like underpair or AK dont know how it would go down with most, i personally wouldn't mind if you did against me but think its not really good etiquette
  • edited August 2010

If it's a heads up pot, anything goes imo!

• edited August 2010
    thats super ghey angle-shooting imo

also, if any1 sez that to me im folding soooo often.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat!:
    thats super ghey angle-shooting imo also, if any1 sez that to me im folding soooo often.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Mind you I had raised  this guys blinds a few time on the light side as he was very tight, so was sure he had a big hand and was making a stand.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Ethical chat!:
    I have AA in SB player raises mid position, I 3bet then he 4bets me. While letting time bank run down I say in chat box "OK lets race" and shove the lot. I get my call he has QQ and a nice pay out. Another player said this is unethical as I was saying I had AK, I never mentioned any hand and was trying to get the other player to get all his chips in the middle. Myself see nowt wrong in trying to talk any opponent into a fold/call with mis-information ect as long as I dont name any cards in my hand.
    Posted by waynecure
    Hi Wayne

The problem is when you typed in the chatbox "ok lets race" indicates that you have AK, so the QQ will call because she/he thinks they are a 57% fave to win the hand, when actualy they are a 19% underdog, a race in poker means this:In NL Hold'em, when two players are all-in preflop, each having roughly a 50/50 chance of winning the pot. Usually a pocket pair against a hand like big slick, unfortunately it is poor Poker Etiquett.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Ethical chat! : Hi Wayne The problem is when you typed in the chatbox "ok lets race" indicates that you have AK, so the QQ will call because she/he thinks they are a 57% fave to win the hand, when actualy they are a 19% underdog, a race in poker means this:In NL Hold'em, when two players are all-in preflop , each having roughly a 50/50 chance of winning the pot. Usually a pocket pair against a hand like big slick , unfortunately it is poor Poker Etiquett.
    Posted by acebarry10
    "ok lets race" does not indicate that he has AK.
    He could equally be indicating that he has JJ and he thinks that his opponent has two overcards.

It's pretty ordinary speech play.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : "ok lets race" does not indicate that he has AK. He could equally be indicating that he has JJ and he thinks that his opponent has two overcards. It's pretty ordinary speech play.
    Posted by MereNovice
    i'm with you on this mere you can race with 7 2 you just start a little bit behind ( LOL). he has not said he has A K it pretty ordinary chat and the man with QQ would call pre flop 99% of the time what ever is put in the chat box. BUT the more you chat the more poeple know about the way you play.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : "ok lets race" does not indicate that he has AK. He could equally be indicating that he has JJ and he thinks that his opponent has two overcards. It's pretty ordinary speech play.
    Posted by MereNovice
    +1
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : i'm with you on this mere you can race with 7 2 you just start a little bit behind ( LOL). he has not said he has A K it pretty ordinary chat and the man with QQ would call pre flop 99% of the time what ever is put in the chat box. BUT the more you chat the more poeple know about the way you play.
    Posted by DAIBOOT
    +1
  • edited August 2010
    speech play like this is something i do all the time. I remember once a while ago at a Live game, one i wasnt running as i got a penalty afterwards.

First hand i had 44 i raised everyone folded, i showed as i was friendly with them all and had a little friendly banter. Next had without even looking at my cards i said "Oh 44 again" just out of the mood. I still didnt look at my cards and min-raised and seen a 3-bet and i said "lets go set mining"

The flop came 445, "oh quads now" i still hadnt looked at my cards at this point and was fully joking with a guy i used to play at home with.

I bet he called. Turn a K. Ibet he raises i shove, he folds showing KK for Kings full. Pureley believeing my speech play. I then admitted not looking at mycards, and it turned out i had 45 for the flopped house.

My punnishment was deserved i know at the time i was out of order, although i never actually named both my cards id accidently named one of them.

Anyways Speech play FTW
  • edited August 2010
    Haha luv it,ive done similar on numerous occasions.Find an angle,get an edge,nothing wrong with it imo.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Ethical chat! : Hi Wayne The problem is when you typed in the chatbox "ok lets race" indicates that you have AK, so the QQ will call because she/he thinks they are a 57% fave to win the hand, when actualy they are a 19% underdog, a race in poker means this:In NL Hold'em, when two players are all-in preflop , each having roughly a 50/50 chance of winning the pot. Usually a pocket pair against a hand like big slick , unfortunately it is poor Poker Etiquett.
    Posted by acebarry10
    At one time check/raise was deem bad etiquett, at a live game brow beating goes on its tactics. Tony Gee did it with that russian guy to make hime call with KJ ok he only had A3 but he did unsettle him. I know I am ahead so want him to call, poker players tell lies ie "folded a big A there", if I three bet U with 72 I am repping a better hand so what is wrong with repping a weaker hand? After all the guy should know dont believe it until you see it!!! WHY IS IT BAD ETIQUETTE PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR REASONS.

Cheers Barry
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by acebarry10
    Where is this stated as fact? 'ok lets race' does not indicate a percentage odds of winning/losing or any particular hole cards, i sometime race with A-10, KQ, KJ, JQ depending on chipstacks and tourney stage. Even AA will lose some of the time, so technically it still is 'a race' If Linford Christie said to you 'ok lets race' he would have a big percentage chance of winning, but he may also now weigh 20 stone, have five bellies and 2 chins, so you may just beat him, you just don't know lol so its fine IMO as long as he didn't state the actual cards.
  • edited August 2010
    what made u think at any time after he 4bet you that he was folding
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    this....

• edited August 2010
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    He had folded to a couple of reraises and did not seem to like big pots, maybe scared money I had raised his blind light as he seemed very weak
  • edited August 2010
    Im really more interested in knowing is it unethical to say what I said rather than my play?
  • edited August 2010
    and lol_raise answered that by saying he isnt going to be 4bet folding so ur slow rolling
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by acebarry10
    WHAT???."Lets race" indicates whatever the opponent wants it to indicate.
    If i was on the receiving end i would just say "well played,you got me"and move on.
    I,m never folding QQ Hu anyway.

• edited August 2010
    and lol_raise answered that by saying he isnt going to be 4bet folding so ur slow rolling
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    So we can take that as saying it is not unethical! As the outcome is not changed?
  • edited August 2010
    i guess, just kinda pointless imo!
  • edited August 2010
    what you shouldnt do when one guy has aces on a qq9 flop is say dam i folded a queen as someone did on my table earlier!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
  • edited August 2010
     Interesting thread and points raised.So now for my twopenneth worth.

Firstly we all know that to correctly name cards in your hand during the playing of the hand is against the rules so we know that any info given out naming exact cards must be a lie or a breach of these rules.(not sure how this rule is or can be policed online).

So we must think of why someone would talk during a hand about the hand in play.They would do it either to gain information on their opponent or to plant false information.With this in mind most sensible people will ignore any chat about the hand whilst it is still in play because  there is no benefit to them in what is being said.

A player who makes his play based on a comment in the chatbox is playing suboptimally and deserves everything that they get.In this particular hand i do not believe your opponent was folding anyway so i believe your comment was not needed.But if he made the call based on your comment then give me his name so i can play against him.

So for me this type of thing is perfectly within the bounds of etiquette because you are within all of the rules and just sending out false signals about your card strength. We all do that with our bets so why not with our words.
  • edited August 2010
    say what you want do what you want imo.
  • edited August 2010
    I've seen, heard and used the phrase '' Let's dance'' (same as) hundreds of times. It's neither against the rules or bad etiquette. If someone is upset by this they are playing the wrong game. Next we'll be asking our opponent ''would you mind awfully if I raised you''

Toughen up .......... it's poker not the local crochet club.
  • edited August 2010
    what you shouldnt do when one guy has aces on a qq9 flop is say dam i folded a queen as someone did on my table earlier!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    Posted by donkeyplop
    LOL BUTTTTTTT! I did say my fold was good as the chance of my Q3 hitting that flop was remote, plus making polite conversation.

is that 1 - 1 now?
  • edited August 2010
    Talon
    Just as a foot note it was a player not in the hand that read me the riot act after the hand was over not the guy losing the pot, this is what made me wonder if I was out of order.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : LOL BUTTTTTTT! I did say my fold was good as the chance of my Q3 hitting that flop was remote, plus making polite conversation. is that 1 - 1 now?
    Posted by waynecure

it wasnt you mate it was someone this afternoon.

im pretty sure u said that q3 hand after it had finished....
  • edited August 2010
    speech play like this is something i do all the time. I remember once a while ago at a Live game, one i wasnt running as i got a penalty afterwards. First hand i had 44 i raised everyone folded, i showed as i was friendly with them all and had a little friendly banter. Next had without even looking at my cards i said "Oh 44 again" just out of the mood. I still didnt look at my cards and min-raised and seen a 3-bet and i said "lets go set mining" The flop came 445, "oh quads now" i still hadnt looked at my cards at this point and was fully joking with a guy i used to play at home with. I bet he called. Turn a K. Ibet he raises i shove, he folds showing KK for Kings full.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Worst fold ever?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : it wasnt you mate it was someone this afternoon. im pretty sure u said that q3 hand after it had finished....
    Posted by donkeyplop
    I do this alot. Usually a dam i fold Q2 (example) but always after the hand has finnished

In Response to Re: Ethical chat! : Worst fold ever?
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    I agree