You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Damage limitation advice req'd

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Im using my loaf til the end of the month!

ive lost 25% of my roll this week - a combination of sickening beats and stoooopid crying calls with big hands.

i looked back into my hand history and get this. This Month, I hit 73 mid sized pocket pairs. I hit a set once out of 55 times i took those pairs to a flop, and only won the hand 7 times. Those are ridiculous numbers, right?

Heres the kicker - This month i had AK 28 times and AA 15 times and only won 8/43 times, 16 of which went to showdown. I need to learn to know when im beat, and stop being married to good cards when faced with a RR, 3bet or AI. 

Now i know bad play can stuff anyone, but i think my game is good and this is just the poker gods taking the wee wee out of me.

so rather than taking a break from the game which i dont want to do, im taking a breather from nl30 and im using one nl30 buyin and spreading it across 6 nl4 tables to even the variance out. Im going to do this til the end of the month.

I might learn something about my game by doing this as well, and any help from you folks would help too. Maybe focusing on my play instead of the chatbox may also help lol!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    +1 to chatbox, although i think its fine tbf. could easily put you of missing vital parts but if your 1 tabling should be able to chat and not miss action + i enjoy the chat with you :o)

dont recommend multi-tabling although this may even out variance i think you should play 1 table and get winning consistently again then you can add a table when your confident again. maybe buy in for less as i have been doing mainly for my bankroll been buying in nl30 at £12 Which allows for enough play and seems to suit me, maybe if you half your buy in play 1 table until you regain your confidence

Best of luck im sure your be back to norm soon

Regards
    John
  • edited August 2010
    shall i phone the mental asylum just now i suspect youll need it after playing down there.

Best of luck mate your going to need it, any help with NL4 give me a shout im happy to help, but it isnt easy.

and keep smiling.
  • edited August 2010
     3 x nl10 instead of 6 x nl4
  • edited August 2010
    I think u would have more "bad beats" with AK AA on 4nl due to poor hand selection by players calling raises. No idea if this is fact or not sure someone will jump on me for saying this.
  • edited August 2010
    well you are sat on both my tables please leave my £10 and £7 stacks alone cheers ;)
  • edited August 2010
    oh 1 tip

ABC FTW!!!!!!!!!

i wonder what u had here???
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    pasmith26 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.86
    molby Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £0.60
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

donkeyplop Raise   £0.20 £0.26 £10.01
    theneons Raise   £0.84 £1.10 £3.37
    grannydot Fold        
    disorda542 Fold        
    pasmith26 Fold        
    molby Fold        
    donkeyplop Fold        
    theneons Muck        
    theneons Win   £0.46   £3.83
    theneons Return   £0.64 £0.00 £4.47
  • edited August 2010
    you're dropping from nl30 to nl4? seems a bit drastic, just drop to nl20 if thats what ur roll suits
  • edited August 2010
    are you a proven winner @ 30nl over a decent sample? perhaps the game is just too tough for you.

best thing to do is quit poker for 1-3 days, read a few book or watch some training videos.

when people are on a DS its usually a combiation of badluck/tilt/bad play/wrong mindset.
  • edited August 2010
    thanks for the advice guys - i think ill take your advice dohh and wayne and drop to nl10.

oh and plop, good fold!!!
  • edited August 2010
    cheers for advice dudes, decided to drop to 4xnl8 and ran pretty decent.

Lynx - i know what your saying re: a deastic drop, but i felt the best thing to do was take the bankroll out of the equation and get back to basics. 4x nl8/10 will do nicely for now

while ive dropped levels i have managed to start plugging a major leak, so its serving its purpose already.
  • edited August 2010
    If you are comfortable with 6 tables I would play 6.  You are not really trying to improve your game at nl8, just trying to grind some money, so I dont really think you need to cut down on tables to get reads  and improve.
    FWIW, I found 4nl more more profitable than 8 or 10nl.  Just be careful you dont get into bad habits that you then transfer back up to 20-30nl.......gl