You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Tournament - £100 F/O, SB jams - do I have to call?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
125 runners, down to the last 18 players.

Blinds are 800/1600 with a 200 ante.

My stack is around 28k. 

Folds round to the small blind, how shoves all for around 20k. This is his first round as he just moved to the table so no reads whatsoever.

I look down and see AdJd.

If I call and lose i'm crippled - is it a must call though?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Live Tournament - £100 F/O, SB jams - do I have to call?:
    125 runners, down to the last 18 players. Blinds are 800/1600 with a 200 ante. My stack is around 28k.  Folds round to the small blind, how shoves all for around 20k. This is his first round as he just moved to the table so no reads whatsoever. I look down and see AdJd. If I call and lose i'm crippled - is it a must call though?
    Posted by CLIOKID

what he look like !?

cawl and bink easy game.
  • edited August 2010

You are in a good position to cash, and i always like to get me money in first at this stage of a tournament.

It is likely that your hand is good, but i just cannot call here.

Fold, give him an angry look, try to get him to show. Without any reads we cant call here really imo, if we do, we is gambling.

I know this is nitty, but i want to cash first, then go ftw.

• edited August 2010
    Very awkward spot.  I think you have to fold and keep an eye on him. 
  • edited August 2010
    if my maths is right your M is about 5.5?? and i guess its coming upto the bubble very soon?

if he is < 30yo i call pretty happily
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament - £100 F/O, SB jams - do I have to call?:
    if my maths is right your M is about 5.5?? and i guess its coming upto the bubble very soon? if he is < 30yo i call pretty happily
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    He was an older dude.

FWIW I called and he had AQ... flop came KdTd to give me RFD but turn and river bricked and I was gone.

Now this thread isn't here because the guy had AQ, cos it's a bit of a cooler I think.

But say he had a hand like KT, or QT or w/e do I really want to be calling my whole stack off on a 60/40 when I still have a few chips and the chance to get them in first and in better spots potentially.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament - £100 F/O, SB jams - do I have to call? : He was an older dude. FWIW I called and he had AQ... flop came KdTd to give me RFD but turn and river bricked and I was gone. Now this thread isn't here because the guy had AQ, cos it's a bit of a cooler I think. But say he had a hand like KT, or QT or w/e do I really want to be calling my whole stack off on a 60/40 when I still have a few chips and the chance to get them in first and in better spots potentially.
    Posted by CLIOKID

old people dont shove as wide. fold if their old and their open jamming >15bbs. no joke!
  • edited August 2010

without the result i would fold, firstly no reads as new to table so could easily be way behind not really a calling hand is AJ, dont mind shoving but no need to call when you have enough stack to fold still

oh yeah and of course ask nicely once you have folded is a must

ul sort of a cooler but he shoved with AQ you called with AJ not great still, doubt he would make the same play with k10 or kj something which your still marginally flipping with

• edited August 2010
    What size was the average stack at this point?
  • edited August 2010
    125 runners, down to the last 18 players. Blinds are 800/1600 with a 200 ante. My stack is around 28k.  Folds round to the small blind, how shoves all for around 20k. This is his first round as he just moved to the table so no reads whatsoever. I look down and see AdJd. If I call and lose i'm crippled - is it a must call though?
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Hi Clio,
    I think this is quite an easy fold, why well you have no reads on the guy and AJ is not really strong enough to call for that much of your stack at that stage(raise or push first yes).
    I will say this, i am a tightish player and you will find the more aggro players will say call and take your chance, but if you lose that pot you are crippled and have no fold equity for further in the tourney.

col
  • edited August 2010
    was this at the circus by any chance?
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by CLIOKID
    One question is how many chips does he have?  And also corse you have to call u won't get a better opportunity!

A chance to double up. If you lose then you learn from it.
  • edited August 2010
    was this at the circus by any chance?
    Posted by theneons
    Was at the Corn Exchange for one of the UKIPT side games.
  • edited August 2010
    cool - corn ex would be not the worst place in the world. good enough for a wedding show, fives and the Manics anyway