You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Being the chip leader

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
I just won the take on tikay torny however i am not particulary happy with the way i played some of the tournament, i kept becoming chip leader and then just freezing my chip stack rather than to carry on increasing it. I am usually a very tight player well most of the time, but i was wondering how much of my own gameplay should alter when i become chip leader or even when i go high in chips?? Should i be more loose and flat call more looking for cards?? or should i constantly steal blinds?? I am trying to improve my gameplay for my first primo whether it be this week or next. I would appreciate any advice please

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Being the chip leader:
    I just won the take on tikay torny however i am not particulary happy with the way i played some of the tournament, i kept becoming chip leader and then just freezing my chip stack rather than to carry on increasing it. I am usually a very tight player well most of the time, but i was wondering how much of my own gameplay should alter when i become chip leader or even when i go high in chips?? Should i be more loose and flat call more looking for cards?? or should i constantly steal blinds?? I am trying to improve my gameplay for my first primo whether it be this week or next. I would appreciate any advice please
    Posted by Batkin88
    Well done on your win, you cant be doing a lot wrong to win that tourney!

I cant help you with your question as im rarely the chip leader!

• edited August 2010
    stealing is fun.

when you have 50 big blinds and your opponents all have 12-15 big blinds you can raise 2 or 3 x the blind and make them choose whether it's their whole stack or they are folding. in general when you are stealing have some form of two cards that have options though thats not always neccessary.

if your oppos are always shoving or folding then raise more, size your raise smaller and know before you get shoved on whether you can call a shove and if so whos shove relative to who has what stack size at the table.

steal blinds more in lp obv and when people who regularly open the pot do so feel free to put in a little reraise with nice lookng cards or obviously gooooood cards :)

what you need to imagine in tournies is the rest of your table, and how many chips they've got and what they're  thinking about how active they can afford to be . if they have 10-15 xthe blind you knwo they need to shove and get it in soon so raise with stronger hands when they're in the blinds compared to a big stack who may not want to get involved with you. 

whilst if someone can raise and afford to fold they're a good candidate to re-raise, obviously if the person doesn't have a fold button just raise them for value. 

that should get you started!! gl at the tables.

• edited August 2010
    Posted by Batkin88
    I thought you played an excellent game and a very well deserved victory. From where I was sitting you were picking your spots extremely well.

For a time in the tourney I was an utter card rack and took the line that constant all ins would reap rewards......I never caught you out once. At one point you put in a healthy raise, we had similar stacks, I shoved with the rockets from the big blind and somehow you managed to pass.

Then to come back and win after a later major setback was a sterling effort and I could see at the half way stage you had the momentum ftw. Will be very interested to hear how you go in the primo when you decide to enter. On last night's evidence I expect you will do very well.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Being the chip leader:
    In Response to Being the chip leader : I thought you played an excellent game and a very well deserved victory. From where I was sitting you were picking your spots extremely well. For a time in the tourney I was an utter card rack and took the line that constant all ins would reap rewards......I never caught you out once. At one point you put in a healthy raise, we had similar stacks, I shoved with the rockets from the big blind and somehow you managed to pass. Then to come back and win after a later major setback was a sterling effort and I could see at the half way stage you had the momentum ftw. Will be very interested to hear how you go in the primo when you decide to enter. On last night's evidence I expect you will do very well.
    Posted by Dud_Butini
    Thanks for that compliment! And cheers for the advice beaneh! I am going to enter this sunday i think to see if i can keep my roll going lol! What tornys and tables do u usually play at dud? it was fun playing on the same table as ya
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Being the chip leader : Thanks for that compliment! And cheers for the advice beaneh! I am going to enter this sunday i think to see if i can keep my roll going lol! What tornys and tables do u usually play at dud? it was fun playing on the same table as ya
    Posted by Batkin88
    I'm very nitty with my BR - I only play with money I've won (freeroll upwards) ....as you WILL be doing on sky from now on following last night's win!!!!

This month I have mostly been playing £1.15 dyms but I'm a bit fed up of them now .....always try to play the £2.20 totty.....I hope to be in the wednesday night £5.50 version this week using last night's winnings....time permitting.

Keep meaning to play in the excellent £2.20 deepies (2.20pm) but something always crops up.

Every now and then I'll dip in to the 2/4p cash but I'm absolutely hopeless at it, so if you see me at one of those it would be a good time to catch up!

Very best of luck in the Primo ..... one of these days I'll "shove" my BR up high enough!
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Batkin88
    Hi Batkin

Welcome to the forum, as Greg has already said, you must be doing something right, when I am chip leader, I find using my table image helpful, yes, I play tight, also, it means, you are more likely to get a buff through, but, dont overdo it, someone will get wise and call, or raise you, use what info you have on the other players also, will they fold to a raise?, if so put a raise in (Obv:)), if you have a "calling Station" who wont fold, no matter what, just be more careful, if you have the nust, use a bet, if you got someone who is aggro, wait for the hand, then boom :), a lot depends on the blinds too, early I play tight, but the bigger the blinds I tend to raise more, but again depends on the table.

Good luck in the Primo.
  • edited August 2010
    I think if there are really small chipstacks on your table, keep raising it up and they should fold.

Other than that i would stick to your gameplay that got you chip leader.

you don't have to change your playing style, just use your chips to your advantage.
  • edited August 2010
    I think if there are really small chipstacks on your table, keep raising it up and they should fold. Other than that i would stick to your gameplay that got you chip leader. you don't have to change your playing style, just use your chips to your advantage.
    Posted by FLASH141
    Respectfully dis-agree there mate, you dont wanna be raising the shorties too often as they will then push and we have more invested then you would want

Basically Beanh is pretty spot on use your position and image, if you notice someone not playing hands likely they waiting for bubble so these are best canditates to raise/re-raise, also look for next chip leader on your table there good to raise as often will not want to tangle. try not to raise with junk if you know a calling station in bb as could lose you a few chips

Yeah well done in tot, im sure your obviously doing something right so keep it up and best of luck
  • edited August 2010
    dont 5 bet shove with ATo and spike a T to my AK, u owe me!

rage over :)
  • edited August 2010
    dont 5 bet shove with ATo and spike a T to my AK, u owe me! rage over :)
    Posted by lynx3ffect

Well obviously spike if you jam it in.

Just before the cards are dealt, leap out of your chair, finger pointing in the air and scream

'geeeeeeeeeeeet thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

then fistpump when you do :)
  • edited August 2010
    personally i think you were pretty damn impressive and i was lucky to finish 2nd. thought you were bluffing heads up...how wrong was i!!! if you play as well in the primo as last night i don't see you having much trouble. watch out all!!!