You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bankroll management?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
I would like to get the views of other players as how they view BR management.

Myself I play poker more for pleasure and enjoyment, no desire to be a pro as a run my own business which looks after me well. So I play the limit I am happy with but do like to move about from 20 to 30nl and dont mind going on the lower tables rather than waiting for a spot if 20/30 full. I work my BR management on the idea this is what I am happy to lose, not how much I can afford to lose. I dont like the idea of putting to much money on the site as it grits my s##t thinking I am giving Mr Murdock a interest free loan and then he charges me to use my money that is sat in his bank!

So here is a little poll to get your views on weather a big bankroll is a must?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    BRM is only useful to winning players to lower your risk of ruin.

if you are a losing player and play just for pure enjoyment then you have to think of it more like an allowance. and play whatever stakes you want with it. obv the smaller stakes u play with the allowance will mean you can play for longer before having to reload
  • edited August 2010
    i have the roll to play higher but i play for the fun of it so stay at the micros.

i guess if you are playing for a living good bankroll management is crucial.
  • edited August 2010
    I suppose it varies from player to player dependent on their income (other than poker) and/or their access to cash at any time.

I don't have a BR as such but I do limit my spend per week. However if I played mainly cash I would certainly want to have a BR conducive with the limit I was playing.

Being a tournament player, but with only limited time to play, I find that a weekly limit is very workable.
  • edited August 2010
    if there's a game i really want to play-- (say i have at that moment in time £50)

the game in question might be £40--then i play it--

life's to short to thing about bank roll management for poker--
    there's enough problems in life without the worry of using only 5% of your poker allowance--

people say--
    yea but what if you lose ?--

my answer is always the same--

yea but what if i WIN ?--

good thread--poker is entertainment--enjoy it--
  • edited August 2010
    good reply batman.

i think you have hit the nail on the head.

id say for cash you need some sort of br management.

playing mtts you might just feel like chucking £33 on the primo.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: bankroll management?:
    I suppose it varies from player to player dependent on their income (other than poker) and/or their access to cash at any time. I don't have a BR as such but I do limit my spend per week. However if I played mainly cash I would certainly want to have a BR conducive with the limit I was playing. Being a tournament player, but with only limited time to play, I find that a weekly limit is very workable.
    Posted by elsadog
    Hi Alan....

Obviously without going into too much personal details, could you elaborate on this slightly please?. I don't play cash and would like to hear your views on what sort of percentage/amount of roll you would invest in tournaments. I have NO BRM ATM so any advice will be greatly received.
    Thank you

(yes, a serious post from me!!)
  • edited August 2010
    I like to think of poker as a 2nd income for me, I make the same on poker in the evenings as I do from being at work (Varience dependant, but proven over time). So I make sure I can buyin to what ever tournament I want and also am well rolled for the cash games I play. It would take something pretty amazing for me to go broke on here playing the limits I play and that's the way I want it to stay.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: bankroll management?:
    In Response to Re: bankroll management? : Hi Alan.... Obviously without going into too much personal details, could you elaborate on this slightly please?. I don't play cash and would like to hear your views on what sort of percentage/amount of roll you would invest in tournaments. I have NO BRM ATM so any advice will be greatly received. Thank you (yes, a serious post from me!!)
    Posted by MAXALLY

I tend to concentrate on main events and usually pick out 2 each evening. The buy-in can vary dependent on where I'm playing but usually falls within the £20 - £50 range, although I do enter higher stake tournaments at the weekend.. I have set a weekly limit on Sky for example of £350. I have a seperate bank account for my poker.

This is my personal way and not a recommendation to anyone. I have a personal income which isn't dependent on any poker varience.

• edited August 2010
    ive bin playing free poker for two years now because of BRM so i think its important,i,ve drawn abit out too
  • edited August 2010
    Im pleased to say that from my small investment I made in the site I did treble my BR at one point but either through bad play or some poor luck I lost 30% of this over the last 5 days after a period of steady growth but still ahead of the game. This is what made contemplate how much BR I should have on the site.

Some good comments thanks guys!