You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Instinct Vs Common Sense

Hi guys,

How many times has it happened to you, that something in your mind is telling you to call or raise with your hand but your common sense end up taking over, weighs up the odds, and then you end up folding instead.

I think its a common thing that happens all the time in poker as many players like to use the main tactic of 'weighing up the odds' before making a decision instead of going with the flow and following their gut instinct.

Let me give an example,

your dealt Q9, one player raises and the second calls his raise. Its 3 handed and it's now 'your turn'. If you call this raise, that will cost half your stack. Q9 isn't a premium hand, so you may let common sense take over and fold. So you fold, and the the flop comes, 10, J, K.   Hmmmm..........don't you wish you called?

The same could happen with 89 suited. Similar situation, to call a raiser is going to cost you half you stack, there are 2 players in, so it's a weighing up the odds situation again. You let comment sense take over add you fold. The flop comes, 6,10,7 all of the same suit! so you could of had a straight flush. Or the flop could come, 8,8,4. You could of had three of a kind.

It's all very well, me saying 'look what you could of had' and what could land on the flop, but my point here is what to  do with these half decent hands when the little voice in you head is saying' go on......take you chance and re-raise or call to see the flop'.

In my experience, and especially lately, It's seems that if you listen to your instincts and do what tht little voice in your head is saying it may just pay off more than you think.

So here is a little tip (and I dont give many). The tip is to ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCS and try your luck, you might just be surprised of the outcome.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    The 'look at what you could have won' Jim Bowen statement is one of the mose common when playing poker!! However, if you call for half your stack with a hand like Q9 ten times pre flop, how many of them flops are going to be as kind as 10,J,K??? In my experience, you have to play sensibly and pick your moments.  I folded 4,5 earlier although my little voice was saying to call someones raise and the flop came 4,4,6. I was cursing to myself as the 2 other players got their money all in and showed A4 and 66. My hand would have been last out of the 3 if I'd listened to that voice and I'd have lost my stack!

I would advise playing position, your cards and long term you will win more than you will lose.  In tournaments I want to be commiting my stack first and not overcomitting half or more of it with marginal hands.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Instinct Vs Common Sense:
    The tip is to ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCS and try your luck, you might just be surprised of the outcome.
    Posted by RichiSwift
    Hmmmm, I would say this is very situational and should not be taken as a hard and fast rule.  I certainly might play speculative hands like Q 9 if the situation is  right:

I'm in late position/blinds, blinds have been passive and I'm unlikely to be raised behind, several limpers in front, huge pot odds, self and opponents have decent stacks, opponents likely to stack off if I hit my miracle flop........ But if the situation is not like this, they are going in the muck most of the time if anyone has shown much interest in the pot.........mainly because my instincts tell me its a hand that is unlikely to improve and rarely leads to a favourable situation.

• edited August 2009
    I had A5 of suit on the monday night bounty hunter and 3 other players all shoved all in.

My instincts were telling me 'CALL! CALL!' - It would of put me all in too if I called.

But did I listen? No.......I folded.

The other 3 players hands showed, 88 , K10, and i think it was QJ

The flop came, 10,3,A..... then the turn and river.......6, 9

K10 trebles up!

I bottled it and did not listen to my instincs.......
    I was so annoyed with myself, I literally gave up after that in total annoyance with myself for not calling. I could of quadrupled up with 3 bounties.

My only excuse was that I was trying cook dinner in the middle of playing and that put me off my concentration.

I should of called......oh boy........I should of called. (listen to your instincs..)
  • edited August 2009

Well thats conclusive evidence right there Richi! 

I trust you will follow your instincts if ever your in a pot when I have all my chips in the middle...... ;-)

• edited August 2009
    I think there is a big difference between instinct and superstition or seeing into the future.  Yes I believe in instinct but not in that way.
  • edited August 2009
    My version of instint is as follows:

I hold A8 on the button and raise 3 x bb (150) and get called by SB and BB.

Flop comes 3 A 10 rainbow.

The SB then checks, and the BB bets 150.

Seeing this as a standard C bet, i re-raise to 400.

The SB folds, but the BB then goes all in for 1800.

Now, i have top pair but not the best kicker and my 'instinct' is telling me to fold because he must be very strong to go all in.

I fold, he shows AK.

Happy days!!! :)

This is just my version of instinct, others may disagree with me though
  • edited August 2009

RichiSwift, I 2nd what Restormel said.

Over time, your call with A5 in that situation is going to be a losing play.

So yes, please call me with that instinct if I am all-in in a pot with you. 8- />