You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll Management...... Worth it?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
Session 2

Starting BR = £96.35

3 Tabling 2p/4p
Registered for £2.20 deep stack at 2.20

Ending BR = £99.79

Slowly heading in the right direction :)

Comments

• edited August 2010

Every poker player has heard about Bankroll Management but how many people actually stick to it?

I for one will be honest and tell you im one of the majority of poker players who just hasn’t the patients to sit and grind. I enjoy the excitement of playing out of my depth and winning big (but for how long ?)

As the luck swings away from you in just a couple of hands your bankroll can suddenly take a big swoop in the wrong direction. (Deposit time again)

After around 5 years of online poker i have finally seen the light, or have i ?

Is BRM really the way?

Well we will see, I’m going to set myself a long and lets face it boring challenge, Im going to abide by the BRM rules of 5% (something I’ve never done before) just to see if it does help my game.

My starting Bankroll will be £89, so 5% of that is £4.45.

The Grind Will be as follows:

·         2p/4p Tables

·         Tournaments Under £4 entry fee

·         Primo Sats (if under £4)

The hardest thing about this challenge for me personally is i wont be able to play in the primos, something I look forward to every night. I will just have to focus on my rules and look forward to the SPT Grand Final in September. ( I qualified before this challenge )

The challenge is to turn my starting BR of £89 and turn it into £1000, something ive been trying to do for a while now, i keep getting close but have a couple of hits and go on a mission to lose the rest of my roll.

If i manage to reach my target, then obviously BRM is the way forward.

I will keep you updated on my challenge for anybody who is remotely interested.

Session One (BR = £89)

Played 4 tables of 2p/4p

Ending BR = £96.35

Current Bankroll at £126.80

• edited August 2010
    Hi Gavin

Yes I stick rigidly to mine
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Management...... Worth it?:
    Hi Gavin Yes I stick rigidly to mine
    Posted by acebarry10

I have always known it was a good idea i just guess i wasnt't patient enough to use it, but im determined now to introduce it to my game.
  • edited August 2010
    Just play what you want, have fun playing poker, play the primo if that's what you look forward to. Forget BRM, dont sound like you need it. Just play with what you can afford to lose, count it as money spent and enjoy playing poker whether you win or lose. GL.
  • edited August 2010
    Session 3

Starting BR = £99.79

3 Tabling 2p/4p

Ending BR = £107.09

£18.09 up so far :)

God its boring tho lol
  • edited August 2010
    Session 3 Starting BR = £99.79 3 Tabling 2p/4p Ending BR = £107.09 £18.09 up so far :)God its boring tho lol
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Do something fun then??
    Why do you play poker?
  • edited August 2010
    Session 4

Starting BR = £107.09

3 Tabling 2p/4p
    Registered for 6.30 sat to £1200 Bounty Hunter

Ending BR = £99.49

Bit of a slip
  • edited August 2010
    Session 5

Starting BR = £99.49

2p/4p tables and £2 scary STT

Ending BR = £107.22

Just over 20% increase of starting BR
  • edited August 2010
    Session 6

Starting BR = £107.22

2p/4p tables
    Minus one £2 sports bet

Ending BR = £118.80

£41.20 to go until 4p/8p :)
  • edited August 2010
    Finnishing the night on £121.50 after cashign in a DYM

Onwards and Upwards
  • edited August 2010

Bank roll management is essential but it shouldn't take the enjoyment out of the game.

Since I started I've played only with money I've won, have never been in the red and have managed to show a profit at the end of each month......each week even.

I've set myself various challenges along the way but as soon as it starts to get a bit stale I re write the rules and make sure that a variety in sites, levels and types of games is keeping it fun.

For example one day I might decide to play DYMs until I have enough profit from them to enter a particular tourney I'm interested in.....you don't have to play the sites satalites...pick on games you have succes in and grind away on them for a couple of hours.

I've always retained a big soft spot for Sky though because this is the only site where the names of players isn't just a blur!!!

Sounds like this first challenge of yours is working for you.....if it threatens to get boring just change it up a bit they're YOUR rules you can do what you like with them.....BUT always retain the essential BR aspect in some shape or form!

Fun and (admittedly modest) profit can be achieved and eventually it can take you only one way....up the ladder......well I think I'm almost off the first rung at least.

Good luck with your challenge. Sounds like your profits are now much better ring fenced.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Bankroll Management...... Worth it?:
    Every poker player has heard about Bankroll Management but how many people actually stick to it? I for one will be honest and tell you im one of the majority of poker players who just hasn’t the patients to sit and grind. I enjoy the excitement of playing out of my depth and winning big (but for how long ?) As the luck swings away from you in just a couple of hands your bankroll can suddenly take a big swoop in the wrong direction. (Deposit time again) After around 5 years of online poker i have finally seen the light, or have i ? Is BRM really the way? Well we will see, I’m going to set myself a long and lets face it boring challenge, Im going to abide by the BRM rules of 5% (something I’ve never done before) just to see if it does help my game. My starting Bankroll will be £89, so 5% of that is £4.45. The Grind Will be as follows: ·          2p/4p Tables ·          Tournaments Under £4 entry fee ·          Primo Sats (if under £4) The hardest thing about this challenge for me personally is i wont be able to play in the primos, something I look forward to every night. I will just have to focus on my rules and look forward to the SPT Grand Final in September. ( I qualified before this challenge ) The challenge is to turn my starting BR of £89 and turn it into £1000, something ive been trying to do for a while now, i keep getting close but have a couple of hits and go on a mission to lose the rest of my roll. If i manage to reach my target, then obviously BRM is the way forward. I will keep you updated on my challenge for anybody who is remotely interested. Session One (BR = £89) Played 4 tables of 2p/4p Ending BR = £96.35   Current Bankroll at £118.20    
    Posted by Gavinxxxx

How can making money be boring.  I see what you mean, but as your br increases, the more you will start to enjoy playing within your br.
    Playing outside your br can be exciting, but with the highs, there are also the lows, and the higher the highs, the lower the lows.

How do you feel when you are chip leader in a big mtt, the cash bubble has burst but only as far as a min cash.  Your on top of the world, the final table is in your sights, then boom, 3 sick coolers/beats or whatever within minutes, and you are out.  That feeling is horrible.
    On the other hand, you load up 4 cash tables and stack off on one of them.  Who cares, reload and carry on.

gl
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Bankroll Management...... Worth it? : How can making money be boring.  I see what you mean, but as your br increases, the more you will start to enjoy playing within your br. Playing outside your br can be exciting, but with the highs, there are also the lows, and the higher the highs, the lower the lows. How do you feel when you are chip leader in a big mtt, the cash bubble has burst but only as far as a min cash.  Your on top of the world, the final table is in your sights, then boom, 3 sick coolers/beats or whatever within minutes, and you are out.  That feeling is horrible. On the other hand, you load up 4 cash tables and stack off on one of them.  Who cares, Withdraw to the nearest 500 in ur account, reload and carry on. gl
    Posted by OMahonyO
    ME!!! FYP !
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Management...... Worth it? : ME!!! FYP !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    hahaha, what I mean is it happens so often, you get hardened to it.  Its just one of those things.  Its just demoralising when you do 3 buyins in the first 20mins and spend the rest of your session trying to break even, which when/if you do you have to be grateful for cfp
  • edited August 2010
    Session 7

Starting BR = £121.50

Quick session on the 2p/4p tables

Ending BR = £126.55

Little increase, would of been more if my Pocket Rockets wasn't beaten by the almighty 89 off suit pre flop, darn you.. lol
  • edited August 2010
    gl m8 i think i may of taken a buyin or 2 off you yesterday.

do you remember?

i had aces 3 times in about 10 hands!!
  • edited August 2010
    gl m8 i think i may of taken a buyin or 2 off you yesterday. do you remember? i had aces 3 times in about 10 hands!!
    Posted by donkeyplop
    LOL yes i remember, walked right into them bad boys lol !
  • edited August 2010
    Gavin, are you sitting on a NL30 table full stacked with this BR right now ?