You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could I play this hand better?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Been in similar situations to this quite a bit recently at NL4 and end up losing a buy in a lot of the time. Could I have played this any differently or is the money always going in.. I have a good starting hand and raise 5xBB.. I know people often call with junk at this level so should I put him on a 5 after he re-raises my flop bet and fold or do I always shove. First time posting in the clinic.. opinions please :)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Destiny33 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.12
JACKO100 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £6.30
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

x Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.80
punxxs_13 Raise   £0.20 £0.30 £3.90
Destiny33 Fold        
JACKO100 Fold        
x Call   £0.16 £0.46 £3.64
Flop

x Check        
punxxs_13 Bet   £0.28 £0.74 £3.62
x Raise   £1.30 £2.04 £2.34
punxxs_13 All-in   £3.62 £5.66 £0.00
x All-in   £2.34 £8.00 £0.00
punxxs_13 Unmatched bet   £0.26 £7.74 £0.26
x Show
  • K

punxxs_13 Show
  • Q
  • Q

Turn

River

x Win Three 5s £7.16   £7.16

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You played it fine m8 - don't worry about it, I would bet more on the flop - closer to the pot, as you get called by any hand that includes and 8, you wanna build the pot so you get paid for your over-pair.

Don't fall into the trap of trying to do things differently, just because u lost the pot.

Keep the faith. QQ on that board at nl4 is always worth all ur money.
  • edited August 2010
    Just ship it and reload when u see the 5. Pretty sick but keep calm and carry on.
  • edited August 2010
    Ta for the replies.. Thought I was playing it okay but lost a lot of hands like this recently so was beginning to doubt my play.. But will keep the faith. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Just had this hand..
    Can I get away from this? Was the shove correct or should I have just called the flop bet and then revaluated the turn.. Was worried about the potential flush draw with a player to act behind me but maybe it was a bit reckless!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    junction Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.60
    BillyWiz68 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.31
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

jimbo773 Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.45
    phildr Fold        
    punxxs_13 Raise   £0.20 £0.30 £3.46
    junction Call   £0.18 £0.48 £2.42
    BillyWiz68 Fold        
    jimbo773 Call   £0.16 £0.64 £3.29
    Flop

• A

junction Check        
    jimbo773 Bet   £0.32 £0.96 £2.97
    punxxs_13 All-in   £3.46 £4.42 £0.00
    junction Fold        
    jimbo773 All-in   £2.97 £7.39 £0.00
    punxxs_13 Unmatched bet   £0.17 £7.22 £0.17
    jimbo773 Show
    • A

punxxs_13 Show
    • Q
    • A

Turn

River

jimbo773 Win Full House, 3s and Aces £6.68   £6.68
  • edited August 2010
    id just make it like 1.20 and jam all turns, shoving at nl4 is probably ok as no one folds Ax
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better?:
    Ta for the replies.. Thought I was playing it okay but lost a lot of hands like this recently so was beginning to doubt my play.. But will keep the faith. :)
    Posted by punxxs_13
    Just thought I'd give my opinion mate - You played it perfectly but the trouble is at these stakes you get called light so many times. I used to play them and struggled to find the right bets to at least give you an idea what the other players were holding. One thing I did do was to raise all pairs big when first raiser to get paid big when hitting sets or to try and bluff off if against one player.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better? : Just thought I'd give my opinion mate - You played it perfectly but the trouble is at these stakes you get called light so many times. I used to play them and struggled to find the right bets to at least give you an idea what the other players were holding. One thing I did do was to raise all pairs big when first raiser to get paid big when hitting sets or to try and bluff off if against one player.
    Posted by kalooki8

Yeah mate I agree there are plenty of people that will call you with any 2 cards.. Sometimes I raise 8 or 9x BB when the pot is full of limpers to get rid of a few people but they still all call, lol.
    I used to find beating this level easy but lately I can't win a thing. I thought maybe I was playing badly but I think it's due to having no luck and then going on tilt when I lose to some muppet. I have played at this level and NL8 for a few months now and made a steady profit but I always withdraw my winnings so I never build a proper bankroll.. I think this is part of my problem as I never move up the levels so I am stuck at micro stakes and I am getting fed up with it.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better? : Yeah mate I agree there are plenty of people that will call you with any 2 cards.. Sometimes I raise 8 or 9x BB when the pot is full of limpers to get rid of a few people but they still all call, lol. I used to find beating this level easy but lately I can't win a thing. I thought maybe I was playing badly but I think it's due to having no luck and then going on tilt when I lose to some muppet. I have played at this level and NL8 for a few months now and made a steady profit but I always withdraw my winnings so I never build a proper bankroll.. I think this is part of my problem as I never move up the levels so I am stuck at micro stakes and I am getting fed up with it.
    Posted by punxxs_13
    You may feel like they are muppets mate but don't forget alot of people use these levels to learn the game and not always know the value of hands. If cash is your game then it is difficult if you don't have the bank roll to move up the levels and you won't vastly increase your bank roll at these levels. I'm perhaps not the best person to advise as I only play tournaments / sit n go's. I have a decent bank roll now as I've got lucky in a few tournaments but I still won't go back to the cash at higher levels as I'm not good enough and I would imagine there are only a small percentage on here making regular profits.

Good luck mate in whatever you decide
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better? : You may feel like they are muppets mate but don't forget alot of people use these levels to learn the game and not always know the value of hands. If cash is your game then it is difficult if you don't have the bank roll to move up the levels and you won't vastly increase your bank roll at these levels. I'm perhaps not the best person to advise as I only play tournaments / sit n go's. I have a decent bank roll now as I've got lucky in a few tournaments but I still won't go back to the cash at higher levels as I'm not good enough and I would imagine there are only a small percentage on here making regular profits. Good luck mate in whatever you decide
    Posted by kalooki8
    Yeah mate your right.. I withdraw the muppet comment, lol.. I would have a decent bankroll to play higher if I hadn't withdrawn a few times.. I think I need to commit to building a bankroll in future and hopefully move up the levels. Thanks for the advice.. Good luck at the tables. :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better? : Yeah mate your right.. I withdraw the muppet comment, lol.. I would have a decent bankroll to play higher if I hadn't withdrawn a few times.. I think I need to commit to building a bankroll in future and hopefully move up the levels. Thanks for the advice.. Good luck at the tables. :)
    Posted by punxxs_13
    I agree with all of the previous posts, nl4-20 are more like aquariums and learning pools and unfortunately when you play at this level there will always be callers no matter what you put in to start..even an all in raise would be called with hands like A3 off... or K5 suited. The main reasons for this are, a) the inexperience of other players on the table, and there is no real value in the pot sizes.. eg £5-£7... You would be better off playing at nl30+ where hands as previously mentioned do not call that often, but do the right thing and fold. Ok, you may end up betting £5-£7 in one pot, but if your hand is strong and you've not been out draw by better pockets, you should fare a lot better. Think not about the cost of the buy-in at nl30, but the cost of losing at your present level
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Could I play this hand better? : I agree with all of the previous posts, nl4-20 are more like aquariums and learning pools and unfortunately when you play at this level there will always be callers no matter what you put in to start..even an all in raise would be called with hands like A3 off... or K5 suited. The main reasons for this are, a) the inexperience of other players on the table, and there is no real value in the pot sizes.. eg £5-£7... You would be better off playing at nl30+ where hands as previously mentioned do not call that often, but do the right thing and fold. Ok, you may end up betting £5-£7 in one pot, but if your hand is strong and you've not been out draw by better pockets, you should fare a lot better. Think not about the cost of the buy-in at nl30, but the cost of losing at your present level
    Posted by larry1959
    I would like to play NL30 but I know it is a whole different game at that level.. Don't want to move up that fast when I can't beat NL4 at the moment and my current bankroll is £63.
    Just going to grind away at NL4 until I can move up to NL8 and so on... There are a few good players at this level but lots of very bad ones who are getting lucky against me almost everytime at the mo.. Just got to play through this bad run and hope my luck changes.