You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

fish or not fish

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
First: 26/11/2009
Last: 29/8/2010

Hand History #285116624 (00:06 29/08/2010)

Ihad pocket 3`s. I bet 10p (5p/10 table) player to my right raied to 60p. I was well stacked and called. flop came 88ten.
villain raised to 1.5. well with two pair i called knowing could be behind, but also aware he could be calling with over cards only. the turn came blank. he checked so i checked. river came 3 giving me full house.
after this i recieved some abuse calling me a fish!!
he maintains i should not have called the flop with 2 pair.

I think he was wrong to check the turn. any decent bet i would have folded.

any opinions??

Comments

• edited August 2010
    i think u played it right he was trying to steal the pot on the flop with air u called his raise turn comes down still not hit that y his check showed u weakness u did right thing your raise
  • edited August 2010
    No way a'fish' play - some players think just because they raise you have to fold, as you said he gave you a free card. Personally anyone getting upset over the stakes involved here perhaps shouldn't be playing. You played it fine.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to fish or not fish:
    tumbling Posts: 19 First: 26/11/2009 Last: 29/8/2010 Hand History #285116624 (00:06 29/08/2010) Ihad pocket 3`s. I bet 10p (5p/10 table) player to my right raied to 60p. I was well stacked and called. flop came 88ten. villain raised to 1.5. well with two pair i called knowing could be behind, but also aware he could be calling with over cards only. the turn came blank. he checked so i checked. river came 3 giving me full house. after this i recieved some abuse calling me a fish!! he maintains i should not have called the flop with 2 pair. I think he was wrong to check the turn. any decent bet i would have folded. any opinions??
    Posted by tumbling
    slight error on my part flop came 858 not 88ten. villain had pair of tens. but the principle remains. I am new to all this
  • edited August 2010
    if he has two overcards he has about 40% equity vs your hand if he has an ovepair he has about 90% equity. this is why folding flop is the best thing to do
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to fish or not fish:

by calling his raise neither showed strength nor weakness. when you limp onto a pot and then flat call a raise, it is difficult to put a range on the call, 'could he be trapping? or just fishing on a mediocre hand. The fault lay with weak play from your opponent..had he bet on the turn..i.e. 75% of pot, you may have layed down your 3's, he didn't ask the question ( am I against trips, f/h (5's) or over pair? also 858 is a straightening flop for 76 suited)..the bet would also have put you under pressure, has he hit trips (raised with A8 suited/has he got pocket 5's etc.).....so far play to you. He blamed you for his mistakes in playing the hand.  
  • edited August 2010
    You called pre flop with 33 to set mine then when the flop comes 858 you call a pot size bet with bad odds and hit a miracle card on river, and people think you played this right, WHAT???