You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Wire

edited August 2010 in The Shed
The best tv program that has ever graced our screens. By a million, million miles. Better than the majority of Hollywood films. And runs for about 50 hour long episodes.

Sheeeeeit, it just is.

Anyone else love it?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to The Wire:
    The best tv program that has ever graced our screens. By a million, million miles. Better than the majority of Hollywood films. And runs for about 50 hour long episodes. Sheeeeeit, it just is. Anyone else love it?
    Posted by bandini
    Yep, me!

I first discovered the show on DVD four years ago.  It's arguably the best TV drama of all time.

May I suggest you check out some of David Simon's other work?

'The Corner' - a six-part mini-series about a Baltimore family and their drug problems (the show that inspired HBO to commission 'The Wire').

'Generation Kill' - another mini-series; an amazing docu-drama about American forces in Iraq (like a feature-length version of 'The Hurt Locker'...only better).

'Homicide: Life on the Street' - an above-average police drama following the flawed detectives who make up one of the Homicide shifts in the Baltimore PD.

I'm waiting for Simon's latest HBO series, 'Treme' (set in post-Katrina New Orleans) to be released on DVD.  I hear it's excellent.

• edited August 2010
    Keep thinking about watching them

Atm its Dexter and Chuck ftw
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The Wire:
    In Response to The Wire : Yep, me! I first discovered the show on DVD four years ago.  It's arguably the best TV drama of all time. May I suggest you check out some of David Simon's other work? 'The Corner' - a six-part mini-series about a Baltimore family and their drug problems (the show that inspired HBO to commission 'The Wire'). 'Generation Kill' - another mini-series; an amazing docu-drama about American forces in Iraq (like a feature-length version of 'The Hurt Locker'...only better). 'Homicide: Life on the Street' - an above-average police drama following the flawed detectives who make up one of the Homicide shifts in the Baltimore PD. I'm waiting for Simon's latest HBO series, 'Treme' (set in post-Katrina New Orleans) to be released on DVD.  I hear it's excellent.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I've read The Corner (excellent read) but haven't got round to the series yet.

Read and viewed Generation Kill. Both, indeed, very good. Particularly the series.

Started reading Homicide but found it wearisome and didn't finish it. Might get round to the series.

Will look out for Treme, hadn't heard of it before. Cheers for the tip.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to The Wire:
    The best tv program that has ever graced our screens. By a million, million miles. Better than the majority of Hollywood films. And runs for about 50 hour long episodes. Sheeeeeit, it just is. Anyone else love it?
    Posted by bandini
    Better the The Sopranos or '24'?   Or in the case of the UK Ashes to Ashes S3, even though the (successful) series was the same length as a cancelled US series!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to The Wire : Better the The Sopranos or '24'?   Or in the case of the UK Ashes to Ashes S3, even though the (successful) series was the same length as a cancelled US series!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    By a million miles. Ashes to ashes?!

Seriously, The Wire is absolutely brilliant. I'd launch into a Baltimore style rant but there's no way I could get a single word past the mods. It's like a 50hr version of one of Holywood's best crime films. I know I can gibber a fair bit on here but I'm not even slightly wrong with this one. Trust me. The best tv show ever made.

Omar's the bomb, mutha- nah, that's as far as I can get with the mods here.
  • edited August 2010
    HBO is the nizzles!!!

Rome

Sopranos

Deadwood

Oz

The Wire

Entourage

Band of Brothers

Generation Kill

The Pacific

In no particular order and all absolutely excellent.

• atwatw
    edited August 2010
    Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

4 /> 1 > 3 > 5 > 2 in order of brilliance.

Next HBO drama from Simon is Boardwalk Empire, looks great.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The Wire : By a million miles. Ashes to ashes?! Seriously, The Wire is absolutely brilliant. I'd launch into a Baltimore style rant but there's no way I could get a single word past the mods. It's like a 50hr version of one of Holywood's best crime films. I know I can gibber a fair bit on here but I'm not even slightly wrong with this one. Trust me. The best tv show ever made. Omar's the bomb, mutha- nah, that's as far as I can get with the mods here.
    Posted by bandini
    Jeez what was I on yesterday?! Ok I was a bit mullered, and I'd been speaking to DOHHHHHHHH so that made it worse (he's a bad influence).

Anyway I only said Ashes To Ashes because 1) I fancy Keeley Hawes and 2) I fancy Keeley Hawes. But it was still a crackin' series by UK standards.

• edited August 2010
    The wire is a classic got them all on dvd but last year i also gratefully received the complete box set of the West wing which is also class and i would definitely recomend to anybody in a "taste test/pepsi challenge"!Dave.
  • edited August 2010
    HBO is the nizzles!!! Rome Sopranos Deadwood Oz The Wire Entourage Band of Brothers Generation Kill The Pacific In no particular order and all absolutely excellent.
    Posted by beaneh
    Had Oz recommended to me. I found it cringeworthly terrible.

The Pacific bored both me and my war obsessed son. He prefers Call of Duty. I was just bored, full stop.

Have never seen The Sopranos! Probably should.
  • edited August 2010
    I wont spoil it for anyone catching up but its a great show.

My favourite is Omar and Avon Barksdale

I am buyin Lost box set for the winter, never watched it but sounds good
  • edited August 2010
    I wont spoil it for anyone catching up but its a great show. My favourite is Omar and Avon Barksdale I am buyin Lost box set for the winter, never watched it but sounds good
    Posted by MadHorse
    Omar the bomb mutha f k a, he be the bomb :-)