You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I love soul. Absolutely love it. The classiest music ever.

I'm guaranteed to have forgotten some but my faves of the top of my head;

Get ready - The Temptations.
    Tears of a clown - Smokey Robinson.
    Didn't I blow your mind - The Delfonics.
    Too busy thinking about my baby - Marvin Gaye
    ABC - Jackson 5.

And a million more.

Yours?
  • edited August 2010
    i dont like a lot of it but i do like....

Baby love - Diana Ross

I want you back - Jackson 5

Miss Grace - dont know who sings it lol

Sitting in the back row of the movies or owt by the Drifters

Dont like...Jimmy Mack and Band of Gold
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Favourite soul song/s:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YITSpJZWs0
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Nice picks Bandini!!  How about this for a bit more 'Soulful variety'

My Love is waiting -  Marvin Gaye
    Barbed Wire love  - Stiff Little Fingers
    Somebody Else's Guy - Joscelyn Brown
    Funkin for Jamaca - Tom Browne
    September - Earth Wind & Fire
    This Will Be  - Natalie Cole
    Labelled with Love -  Squeeze
    Abraham, Martin & John - Marvin Gaye
    Don't stop me now - Queen

And before anyone picks the bones out of these quick picks......
    These are 'pure' soulful tracks to me, whether they be black, white, gay, american, english, irish  Lol

p.s. like your Delfonics pick... Have you seen the film 'Jackie Brown' great music & acting!!!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Favourite soul song/s : Nice picks Bandini!!  How about this for a bit more 'Soulful variety' My Love is waiting -  Marvin Gaye Barbed Wire love  - Stiff Little Fingers Somebody Else's Guy - Joscelyn Brown Funkin for Jamaca - Tom Browne September - Earth Wind & Fire This Will Be  - Natalie Cole Labelled with Love -  Squeeze Abraham, Martin & John - Marvin Gaye Don't stop me now - Queen And before anyone picks the bones out of these quick picks...... These are 'pure' soulful tracks to me, whether they be black, white, gay, american, english, irish  Lol p.s. like your Delfonics pick... Have you seen the film 'Jackie Brown' great music & acting!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Yeah, love Jackie Brown. Love Tarantino. Love Leonard. Very underated film. It's where I first heard of The Delfonic's song.

Some bizarre picks there fella? Queen? Stiff Little Fingers? I'd like to hear those explained :-)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Favourite soul song/s : Yeah, love Jackie Brown. Love Tarantino. Love Leonard. Very underated film. It's where I first heard of The Delfonic's song. Some bizarre picks there fella? Queen? Stiff Little Fingers? I'd like to hear those explained :-)
    Posted by bandini
    Bizarre picks!! Yeah I Know!
     Life experiances my friend, was playin football in Liverpool bout 20 years ago, ended up that nite in a like club/bar, 'Plummers' i think, all beatles & pop songs, anyway we were Bang on it Hard!! having a craic with some locals birds, and a stag do even, Queen came on and the place was goin mad! so the DJ played it later on..and was even better!!!
    About 3 hours later, we were, in a proper ''Soul club'' further on, all Luther, Maze, Fatback etc, The local stag do came in, and some of the birds were floating around, one of my mates went and persuaded the DJ to Reluctantly put 'Dont Stop me Know On', He would'nt at first, but when he did the, all the people from Plummers, then, whole place  kicked off wild!! Champagne was being sprayed it was Mad!!! Again, he played it about an hour later........ Deja Vu...Madness, hence it has become a bit of an anthem with all us 40' somethings that were there and apparently a 'cult' song in 'the Wavertree British Legion' LOL

The Stiff Lil' Fingers track, is about as close to 'soul' as they got LOL, One of mi fav bands, was in Acklam Hall, Labroke Grove, about 15/16 years old, little punk hall, rough as rough[trade] can be, they played it at the end of a set, and all these Punks, Skinheads, and mad Paddys started 'waltzing' round the whole gaff together, one of the funniest thing i'd ever seen!!!!!!!!!

Why whenever I hear certain tunes cant help but get mi feet goin & heart racing, you no what i mean??

Prob a lil' story on a few more of the tracks but i'll save them

gl
  • edited August 2010
    O yeah forgot this bit, that nite in liverpool, one of mi best mates met a nurse from Barnsley, he married her bout 5 years later.......then at their wedding in Barnsley, another mate pulled the cheif bridesmaid...........they got married 5 years after that....lol.... at that wedding..... we told all the girls we were Gay .....just in case.. LOL
  • edited September 2010
      FAV SOUL SONG  JACKIE WILSON HIGHER AND HIGHER                                                                                                                 
  • edited September 2010
    Classic soul...
                         has to include....

1. The Detroit Spinners - I'll be Around.
       2. Sam and Dave         - Hold on I'm Coming.
       3. Otis Redding            - These arms of Mine.
       4. Arthur Conley           - Sweet Soul Music.
       5. Lou Rawls                - You'll never find another love like mine.
       6. Bob and Earl             - Harlem Shuffle.
       7. Jackie Wilson            - (Your love keeps lifting me) Higher and Higher.
       8. Dobie Gray                - Drift Away.
       9. Percy Sledge              - When a man loves a Woman.
      10. Sam Cooke               - Wonderful World.

I could give you a hundred,but i'd be here all night!
      At 48 years old and record collector since 11, i feel i'm a pretty good judge....
      You'd do well to beat these.......
  • edited September 2010
    oooh sorry but this is reading like the BBC Radio 2 playlist.. the musical equivalent of eating paper. anyone would think soul music died out 30 years ago... Martine Girault - Revival Maxwell - Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder) Angie Stone - I Wish I Didn't Miss You I'd love to give you more but Im already spending an unhealthy amount of time on this forum
    Posted by beginluck
    LOL, nice one!!

Different Generations, I Guess lol , Love Macy G. & Black Eyed Peas, Do they count?
    I will check out ur suggestions as you seem to know what it's all about
  • edited September 2010
    Good picks chaps/chapesses.

Some more;

Stevie Wonder : Signed , sealed, delivered
    Aretha Franklin : Piece of my heart
    Otis Redding : Try a little tenderness
    Al Green : Tired of being alone
    James Brown : This a man's world
    Gladys Knight and the Pips : Midnight train to Georgia

Christ, I could go on and on. Who's going to whittle them down for the Sky Poker compilation?

On a modern front I have to give a shout out for Plan B's new album which I thought was an excellent soul album.
  • edited September 2010

Bandini.....We think alike musically. However in a more modern soul taster....Try these.....

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You..
         Anastasia -  One Day In Your Life.
         Beyonce -    Halo.
         Eli 'Paperboy' Reid - Come and Get It.
         Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight.
         Mary J Blige - I am.
         Mtume - Juicy Fruit. 
         Ne-Yo - So Sick.
         Raphael Saadiq - Never Give You up.
         Rihanna - Take a bow.
         Taio Cruz - I Just Want To Know.

That should please a few youngsters and young at hearters...
  • edited September 2010
         Bandini.....We think alike musically. However in a more modern soul taster....Try these.....      Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You..      Anastasia -  One Day In Your Life.      Beyonce -    Halo.      Eli 'Paperboy' Reid - Come and Get It.      Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight.      Mary J Blige - I am.      Mtume - Juicy Fruit.       Ne-Yo - So Sick.      Raphael Saadiq - Never Give You up.      Rihanna - Take a bow.      Taio Cruz - I Just Want To Know.      That should please a few youngsters and young at hearters...
    Posted by WANTED
    Very Nice list!!
  • edited September 2010
    1. Julie London - Cry Me A River
    2. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
    3. Jamie Cullum - In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
    4. Peter Cincotti - Come Live Your Life With Me
    5. Frank Sinatra - Don't Worry About Me
    6. Diana Ross - Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be)
    7. Lou Rawls - The Girl From Ipanema
    8. Minnie Riperton & José Feliciano - Light My Fire
    9. Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
    10. Freddie Jackson - Rock Me Tonight (For Old Time's Sake)
    11. Candi Staton - How Can I Put Out The Flame (When You Keep The Fire Burning)
    12. Minnie Riperton - Inside My Love
    13. Charlie Hunter feat. Norah Jones - More Than This
    14. Peggy Lee - A Taste Of Honey
    15. Tony Bennett & k.d. lang - What A Wonderful World
    16. Cassandra Wilson - Time After Time
    17. Michael Bublé That's How It Goes
    18. George Shearing Quintet With Nancy Wilson - All Night Long
    19. Billie Holiday & The P Whiteman Orchestra - Travelin' Light
    20. Clare Teal - In The Still Of The Night

2nd CD on an album called Late night Moods. Love my soul and classic Disco but can not see for the life of me how Queen could be included in this thread.

• edited September 2010
    Julie London - Cry Me A River Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine Jamie Cullum - In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning Peter Cincotti - Come Live Your Life With Me Frank Sinatra - Don't Worry About Me Diana Ross - Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be) Lou Rawls - The Girl From Ipanema Minnie Riperton & José Feliciano - Light My Fire Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love Freddie Jackson - Rock Me Tonight (For Old Time's Sake) Candi Staton - How Can I Put Out The Flame (When You Keep The Fire Burning) Minnie Riperton - Inside My Love Charlie Hunter feat. Norah Jones - More Than This Peggy Lee - A Taste Of Honey Tony Bennett & k.d. lang - What A Wonderful World Cassandra Wilson - Time After Time Michael Bublé That's How It Goes George Shearing Quintet With Nancy Wilson - All Night Long Billie Holiday & The P Whiteman Orchestra - Travelin' Light Clare Teal - In The Still Of The Night 2nd CD on an album called Late night Moods. Love my soul and classic Disco but can not see for the life of me how Queen could be included in this thread.
    Posted by wartic
    Great artists on list, only know some of the covers admittedly!!

looks great CD, leaning towards the Jazzy/blue's spectrum

Bet you Gotta love some Crusaders & even old, old school Louis Armstrong, aincha Wartic?

Will look up the Lou Rawls version of Ipanema, not heard that, love the 'standard' Astud Gilberto, think her Dad or Uncle actually wrote that meybe?

Love Candi Staton, think may be same song as a Gwen Guthrie that i know

O Yeah, The Queen Thing.....I Know..... But You Just HAD to be there.... You'd understand, LOL

• edited September 2010
    Defo on Satchmo and what about a little bit of Brook Benton???? Went to see Jocelyn Brown last year at the Jazz Cafe in london. Amazing woman and an amazing voice. You ever heard Aretha's Gospel Album???
  • edited September 2010
    Oh the friend on the arm was a brief encounter in a Jazz Bar in Turin!!! If music be the food of love...... and it was a very very good night ...... and morning lol
  • edited September 2010
    Oh the friend on the arm was a brief encounter in a Jazz Bar in Turin!!! If music be the food of love...... and it was a very very good night ...... and morning lol
    Posted by wartic
    There you GO!!! Back to the Queen thing LOLOL!!

Very Nearly got to that Jocelyn concert myself lol!! great intimate venue the Jazz Cafe.
    Brook Benton, must admit outside my limited knwledge, will look up tho, when got time!
    Got loads of Miles Davis Too! but missus & kids just dont get him, so dont get played much LOL

The Italians are surprisingly well into ther're Jazz, been in a couple of great places, in Bologna & Sorrento!!!

Any how, Hows the poker goin ? LOL
  • edited September 2010
    Rubbish!!!!!
    Madrid excellent for Jazz bars
  • edited September 2010
    Remember going to the Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes many moons ago for the Northern Soul all-nighters. I have a few cd's and these are my favourites:

Chuck Wood - Seven days Too Long
    Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours
    Bobby Paris - I Walked Away
    The Invitations - What's wrong with me baby

Brilliant genre of music, but still not as good as THE JAM!!
  • edited September 2010
    Remember going to the Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes many moons ago for the Northern Soul all-nighters. I have a few cd's and these are my favourites: Chuck Wood - Seven days Too Long Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours Bobby Paris - I Walked Away The Invitations - What's wrong with me baby Brilliant genre of music, but still not as good as THE JAM!!
    Posted by labrat64
    DUN....DUN DUN....DUN...............DUN.....DUN DUN..........DUN.!!

The distant echo, of far away voices, boardin faraway trains!
    To take them home to, the ones that they lave, and who'll lave them forever!!!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Favourite soul song/s : DUN....DUN DUN....DUN...............DUN.....DUN DUN..........DUN.!! The distant echo, of far away voices, boardin faraway trains! To take them home to, the ones that they lave, and who'll lave them forever!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Just the greatest 4 minutes of vinyl ever laid down, and truly amazing live!!!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Favourite soul song/s : Just the greatest 4 minutes of vinyl ever laid down, and truly amazing live!!!!!!
    Posted by labrat64
    You just gotta see me do this on a karioke!! My favorite, LOLOLOLO,