You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this badly played??

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

im new to posting on here, i do sometimes play on here though.  But this hand im reffering too was played on a different site.

The blinds were 600-1200 I had a stack of just over 10k and was in the big blind, one person raised to 2900 in early position, so didnt think he had all that much maybe A10 or AJ, the  guy next to me in the small blind had just over 6k and went all in, so i thought if i shoved all my chips with pocket 5's in I would isolate the guy who raised in early position and even if I lost to the small blind I would still be in the tourney!!

I was wrong in thinking in this as the guy in early position had Q's and not the weaker hand I thought.

Was my play correct?? I was trying for the win after all!!!

Cheers

Joe

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You might have considered folding
  • edited August 2010

55 is a fold here m8

almost every time

• edited August 2010
    sounds as if you were in the BB (1200 in)--

with 10k chips there was NO reason to call any bet with 55--
     early bet of 2900 was the red light warning--
    the SB all-in was not a green light --
    even if you thought the SB shove was a gamble--
    with 55 there were probably 4 over cards against you--
    it was no longer a race--
    you were something like a 7/2 shot to win the hand--
    at best 'even' money to beat any one of the two hands--

the next hand your in the SB (600)--
    there after you still have 9400 to be the aggressor--
    decision's like this are what lose tournaments--
    if your calling your probably behind--
    if your betting you could be in front--
    but its not you having to think what the opponent has bet with --

good luck--
  • edited August 2010
    Why did you put him on AT/AJ because he raised to 2900 from EP? Try to put players on a range of possible holdings, not just what you hope they have because you can beat what you would like them to have.
  • edited August 2010
    insta-fold.

JJ or better, then you have a case for shipping it to isolate, but 55 is a coinflip situ and you want to avoid that. find a better spot and you will have a chance to win, instead of risking it all on a 50/50 just because you want it all.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    Hi all,

The EP guy had a big stack and with two relative short stacks in the blinds may have been thinking of a blind steal perhaps?? I didnt think he had total rubbish but did think he may fold to a 10k re-raise, the hand he eventaully had (Q's) didnt really tie in with his pre-flop betting (2 and half times the big blind) in my opinion!

Looking back I probably should have folded after the small blind shoved perhaps?? But did think i was in a coin-flip and dont you have to take those sometimes to win big??

Thanks for your feedback either way.
  • edited August 2010
    after a raise and an all in reraise, you have to fold 5s-- one of them has a bigger pair, or both of them have a big ace--simply no point at all in risking your tourney in this position--wait for a spot where you are doing the raising-- what are the chances of winning here with 55?--notalot innit