You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

good players?? or average players that just run good??

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

ive noticed recently ,that the so called good players on this site ,or players that are well known ,they just seem to run so good ,,,,i dont think theres much difference of talent ,between ur average joe, and the so called big name players ,they both call an allin with a flush draw or an open ended str8 draw ,the so called good players just run good ,,,,theres not that much  difference in play between the two,,,,,,,yes, they probably do have a better understanding of the game ,and have more expierience,but talent wise i think its very marginal ,,,,,,,i mean to win a tournement these days ,is a big ask ,most of the players have a much better understanding of the game ,and its become a lot harder to grind out results ..........i bet theres a lot of players on the site ,playing exactly the same way as the so called good players ,that just dont get the results .............does that make them a bad player ?   of course not ..running good ,and being catogarized as a good player ,,has a very thin line running through it .................i could even stick my neck out here ,and say lucky or unlucky ,is there that much of a difference ,between skill and luck ????????             have fun ROSIE

Comments

• edited August 2010

The better players don't expect to win tournaments.

The better players prove they are the better players by beating the cash games on a regular basis, where there is less luck involved.

You can't run good forever.

Ive been playing and winning for 5 years, yet still get accused of being a fish that's just running good.

The only thing that you should care about when analysing whether you are a good player or not, is your results. In poker, that will be how much money you win or lose over a period of time.

What do you value more, the respect and admiration of your opponents? or the money in your account at the end of the day? I know which one I'd rather have.

• edited August 2010
    Agreed it's all down to luck.

I've only managed to win 6 main events this year, and I normally average 10 a year, so it seems my luck is bad.

You're right that there isn't much difference in the ''talent levels'' ....... but there is a difference, and that small difference makes all the difference.

Disclaimer: At no point in the above statements was any account taken regarding the status of Phil(luckbox)12uk
  • edited August 2010

WELL I HAVE PROFITED  CONSECUTIVELY FOR THE LAST 36 MONTHS ON SKYPOKER ,

THAT'S SOME IRISH LUCK FOR YEA LOL !
  • edited August 2010
    i've won quite a bit on sky poker live and online, and i have never won a tourny without getting lucky at some point.
    but i think if you make the right decisions a good percentage of the time you can have an edge on other players.
    not all players call thier stack on flush draws (5/1 on the flop) or srt8 draws etc.......i agree with dohhhhhhh that cash players have the most skill,something i am trying to improve on....
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good??:
    i've won quite a bit on sky poker live and online, and i have never won a tourny without getting lucky at some point. but i think if you make the right decisions a good percentage of the time you can have an edge on other players. not all players call thier stack on flush draws (5/1 on the flop) or srt8 draws etc.......i agree with dohhhhhhh that cash players have the most skill,something i am trying to improve on....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    2/1 on the flop
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good?? : 2/1 on the flop
    Posted by Penny_Less
    well its actually 4/1 19.15%   being a bit generous sorry
  • edited August 2010
    well i would put myself in the category of average player that runs good so im not going to complain!! :)

• edited August 2010
    I try to run good in 400bb pots, and run bad in 10bb ones.

But then the short stacker tilts me hard and i always run bad then ;)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good?? : well its actually 4/1 19.15%   being a bit generous sorry
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    a flush draw is nowhere near this mark, 9 outs twice, look it up
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to good players?? or average players that just run good??:
    ive noticed recently ,that the so called good players on this site ,or players that are well known ,they just seem to run so good ,,,,i dont think theres much difference of talent ,between ur average joe, and the so called big name players ,they both call an allin with a flush draw or an open ended str8 draw ,the so called good players just run good ,,,,theres not that much  difference in play between the two,,,,,,,yes, they probably do have a better understanding of the game ,and have more expierience,but talent wise i think its very marginal ,,,,,,,i mean to win a tournement these days ,is a big ask ,most of the players have a much better understanding of the game ,and its become a lot harder to grind out results ..........i bet theres a lot of players on the site ,playing exactly the same way as the so called good players ,that just dont get the results .............does that make them a bad player ?   of course not ..running good ,and being catogarized as a good player ,,has a very thin line running through it .................i could even stick my neck out here ,and say lucky or unlucky ,is there that much of a difference ,between skill and luck ????????             have fun ROSIE
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    there is a massive difference in ability from the players who play the biggies on a regular basis down to new people who are learning the game, check out some of the big mtt'ers sharkscope, its pretty impressive
  • edited August 2010

my apologies ,i think some of you ,have missed the point i was trying to make ,with regaurds too a few sarcastic replys ............the standard of play early on in amtt is pretty poor ,but when the mtt is running deep ,normally most plays are same, with the cards that your dealt ,90%  of players will play the game accordingly ,with thier aa ,kk ,ak aq and so on.....you are going to get players like dohhhhhh,with a large chipstack raising the blinds with air ,thats part of the game ,i make these moves myself ................what im saying is ,its a very fine line between skill and luck at this stage of the tourny ,ive never won a tourny either without some luck along the way ............who ever is running good ,does not make them a good player ,   ,,,,,,,,,,,ok ,last night ,not on here ,i played a cash game ,but before i chose my table ,i done a player search ,,,,,,,,,the guy i was looking for is a atm machine ,he regulary deposits into my bankroll ,found him ,and he was sitting there with 8 buyins up????????? ,i played for 2 hours and lost 3 buy ins too him .............the guy could not miss hitting a monster flop all night ,i gave up in the end ,he was unbeatable ,,,,,,,he is a poor player ,running good ,skill ,or luck ???? certainly not skill ,luck yes running good yes .............good player ?no he certainly is not ,,,,there is a very fine line between skill ,luck ,running good ,,,,just cause your running good ,does not make you a good player ,or do you think otherwise??

• edited August 2010
    Roseyellow....sorry to'interrupt' your discussion but if you are on the site, i am going to play on free play cash table 'Dublin' for until 4pm if you want to fnd me - cheers!
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    my apologies ,i think some of you ,have missed the point i was trying to make ,with regaurds too a few sarcastic replys ............the standard of play early on in amtt is pretty poor ,but when the mtt is running deep ,normally most plays are same, with the cards that your dealt ,90%  of players will play the game accordingly ,with thier aa ,kk ,ak aq and so on.....you are going to get players like dohhhhhh,with a large chipstack raising the blinds with air ,thats part of the game ,i make these moves myself ................what im saying is ,its a very fine line between skill and luck at this stage of the tourny ,ive never won a tourny either without some luck along the way ............who ever is running good ,does not make them a good player ,   ,,,,,,,,,,,ok ,last night ,not on here ,i played a cash game ,but before i chose my table ,i done a player search ,,,,,,,,,the guy i was looking for is a atm machine ,he regulary deposits into my bankroll ,found him ,and he was sitting there with 8 buyins up????????? ,i played for 2 hours and lost 3 buy ins too him .............the guy could not miss hitting a monster flop all night ,i gave up in the end ,he was unbeatable ,,,,,,,he is a poor player ,running good ,skill ,or luck ???? certainly not skill ,luck yes running good yes .............good player ?no he certainly is not ,,,,there is a very fine line between skill ,luck ,running good ,,,,just cause your running good ,does not make you a good player ,or do you think otherwise??
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    Cash games is real poker...you can't make money over a long period of time in cash without being good. And obviously over the short term bad players will make some monies, which is good because if they always lost then they'd never play again. Imo you really need to think about if you want to continue playing if you're going to get miffed when you lose a couple of buy-ins every so often.

Keep a track of your profits/losses over a lengthy period of time (and I mean several, several thousand hands) and from that you'll be able to get a good insight as to whether you're a winning player or not.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    Good players can run bad and bad players can run good. You're right that running good isn't the same as being good but that doesn't mean that all players who make a profit over a long period do so simply because they have run good. We all run good and bad at times but it's the overall picture that determines your ability at the level you are playing. Skill levels have definitely improved over the past 5 years or so and winning any tournament is certainly more difficult now than it was then. The guy you take as an example is having positive variance at the moment and in time this should equalize. You need to allow guys like this to do well from time to time - it's what keeps them coming back and keeps you in profit over the long term.

Cash and tournament players who make a profit over a long period are obviously more skilled than at least some of the people they are playing against. Everyone has a golden patch from time to time but constancy is the true test of ability.
  • edited August 2010
    What if you have were in minur profit, then won a big tourny and in + profit, But seem to loose every thing else. Does that mean im not good at poker? and that i just ran good in that tourny?
  • edited August 2010
      WELL I HAVE PROFITED  CONSECUTIVELY FOR THE LAST 36 MONTHS ON SKYPOKER ,  THAT'S SOME IRISH LUCK FOR YEA LOL !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    only because you get your mother inlaw to play for you, hehe
  • edited August 2010

In tournys all u can do is put yourself in a good position as often as possible, and eventually u will win the important race, hit the jackpot cooler hand against the big stack, suck out when ur QQ is in pre v KK etc etc then go on to make the final table.

Think u need a bigger sample size to judge someone MTT ability than u do cash....

At the start of any mtt, every player has a chance, just run super gudddddddddddd :)

• edited August 2010

Quite interesting posts,imo,I think to a certain extent you do state the obvious, (no disrespect intended ). I am exactly what you are suggesting, a poor player, ie unskilled and for the most part unlucky I accept that, I play just for fun not gain. I have won 3 out of the last 4 deepstacks does that make me a better player,not at all,I have no illusions whatsoever about that.What it actually proves is that the game can be full of anomalies                                   Kind regards 
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good?? : a flush draw is nowhere near this mark, 9 outs twice, look it up
    Posted by SHANXTA
    9 outs = 20% of the deck = 4/1??
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good?? : 9 outs = 20% of the deck = 4/1??
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    if u get it in on a bare flush draw expect to be about ~37%

if u have an over card to go with it, or even better a gutshot expect to go up to ~47%

• edited August 2010
    hi daveyzz, you forgot there are two events.

on the turn there are 9 outs from the 45 remaining cards which is 0.2.
    plus on the river there are 9 outs from the 44 remaining cards which is approx 0.2.

total probability is slightly less than 0.4.  odds are therefore nearer to 5/2 or a perenctage chance of 39%

actual win chance is slightly lower as flush is beaten by quads, house etc and nears 35%

regards

• edited August 2010
    In tournys all u can do is put yourself in a good position as often as possible, and eventually u will win the important race, hit the jackpot cooler hand against the big stack, suck out when ur QQ is in pre v KK etc etc then go on to make the final table. Think u need a bigger sample size to judge someone MTT ability than u do cash.... At the start of any mtt, every player has a chance, just run super gudddddddddddd :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    JJ U have hit the nail on the head here m8, I play very few MTTs as much prefer cash and seem to make a profit. I think with cash if you make a right call and they outdraw you which will happen a min of 30% of your good calls you can reload and win it back the next right call and as you are fav to win overall you will make a profit on these correct calls. With MTTs (some do rebuys) as a norm you can make a good call and if your outdrawn your gone regardless of the players ability he has sent back to the cash lobby!
  • edited August 2010
    hi daveyzz, you forgot there are two events. on the turn there are 9 outs from the 45 remaining cards which is 0.2. plus on the river there are 9 outs from the 44 remaining cards which is approx 0.2. total probability is slightly less than 0.4.  odds are therefore nearer to 5/2 or a perenctage chance of 39% actual win chance is slightly lower as flush is beaten by quads, house etc and nears 35% regards
    Posted by aussie09
    of course thanks,now i will never fold a flush draw again :)
  • edited August 2010
    Interesting thread !

Of course there must be players who are better than the average so must be considered  "good".

As in any other sport/game it is often a matter of making less mistakes than the rest which makes the difference.

In cash games the distinction is clearer than in tournaments, where variance is a bigger factor.

But it is a fact that over the last couple of years the general standard of play has risen a lot on here. A while back there were a few players who could consistently win tournies. There are so many capable players around now that players with a big reputation can struggle and need to be on top of their game to succeed.

You only have to look at the results of the main nightly event over the last year, loads of different names. A couple of years back it was always the same faces at the final table.

But if you follow the results of the higher stakes deepstacks, the slight edge in talent that some players have still makes a difference.

• edited August 2010
    It's been said a couple of times on this thread that cash players are the more skilled. That's like saying that sprinters are fitter than marathon runners, or that 400 metre runners are better than 800 metre runners. They are different disciplines of the same thing.

Most cash players play cash to earn money. The majority of mtt players I know don't have the time to grind away at the cash tables and mtts offer the chance to make money for less input and risk. I admire cash players for their dedication and ability and the very best are also profitable and very proficient tournament players. But I know a lot of mtt players who could turn a regular profit at cash if they had the inclination. IMO as llong as you play at the correct level to your skill, it's far easier to make a steady profit over a period of years from cash than from mtt's.

I've played cash from time to time and generally made a profit. The thing is I don't need to be profitable because I earn far more than I probably could playing poker and so tournaments fullfil a need. The fact that I show a profit too is a bonus. This isn't an attempt to degrade cash players in any way, as I said I admire their dedication and skill, but I know that the skill isn't all at one end of the game. If it was the cash players would all be playing tournaments for the big bucks ....... and winning them all.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: good players?? or average players that just run good?? : of course thanks,now i will never fold a flush draw again :)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    that's exactly what i feared

• edited August 2010
    Interesting thread ! Of course there must be players who are better than the average so must be considered  "good". As in any other sport/game it is often a matter of making less mistakes than the rest which makes the difference.  In cash games the distinction is clearer than in tournaments, where variance is a bigger factor. But it is a fact that over the last couple of years the general standard of play has risen a lot on here. A while back there were a few players who could consistently win tournies. There are so many capable players around now that players with a big reputation can struggle and need to be on top of their game to succeed. You only have to look at the results of the main nightly event over the last year, loads of different names. A couple of years back it was always the same faces at the final table. But if you follow the results of the higher stakes deepstacks, the slight edge in talent that some players have still makes a difference.
    Posted by penguin7
    Doesn't that sound a lot like the changes that have happened in the WSOP Main event over the last few years?  Obviously happens live just as it does online
  • edited August 2010
    the good players maximise their profits when on a good run and minimise their losses when running bad
    the average player(not all) doesnt get this concept and carries on regardless imho...