You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was I right to fold?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Is this a good fold on the river or should I have called?
No reads on the guy.. Can't remember playing him before.. Wasn't on the table long and he left soon after this hand.
Opinions please :)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
graham1947 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.86
jenkins09 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.45
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

punxxs_13 Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £4.20
Garles Fold        
BillyWiz68 Fold        
graham1947 Fold        
jenkins09 Call   £0.12 £0.34 £4.33
Flop

• J

jenkins09 Check        
punxxs_13 Bet   £0.26 £0.60 £3.94
jenkins09 Call   £0.26 £0.86 £4.07
Turn

jenkins09 Check        
punxxs_13 Bet   £0.65 £1.51 £3.29
jenkins09 Call   £0.65 £2.16 £3.42
River

jenkins09 Bet   £2.16 £4.32 £1.26
punxxs_13 Fold        
jenkins09 Muck        
jenkins09 Win   £2.00   £3.26
jenkins09 Return   £2.16 £0.16 £5.42

Comments

• edited September 2010
    yes i do thick u are right to fold.
    hand u are looseing to he could have had qq kk aa trips slow playing or got lucky on the end wif a hands like j9
    heand u are beating the flush draw or madbe kj makeing a thin bet or just a bluff
    gd fold 4 me
  • edited September 2010
    top pair 2/1 on your money and he could have a busted flush draw or a small PP like 10-10 and under, I would have to call and spew if he showed a better hand.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Was I right to fold?:
    yes i do thick u are right to fold. hand u are looseing to he could have had qq kk aa trips slow playing or got lucky on the end wif a hands like j9 heand u are beating the flush draw or madbe kj makeing a thin bet or just a bluff gd fold 4 me
    Posted by rob12345
    Surely with KK QQ you would expect him to 3bet pre flop?
  • edited September 2010
    I think how you have played the hand you could do either. I think if your not prepared to call a river bet you shouldn't be betting the turn. the 2 of spades is a brick it was a backdoor flush and he called a raise preflop and a bet on the flop. Unless hes got like 5s6s and decided just to call the flop with the gut shot. So with that in mind I would call OR not bet the turn and you can fire the river if he checks or just call.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Was I right to fold? : Surely with KK QQ you would expect him to 3bet pre flop?
    Posted by waynecure
    at this level some players just call wif aa or kk and qq just slowing a hand nothing woung wif that can get gd value or loose a lot
  • edited September 2010
    n Response to Re: Was I right to fold?:
    top pair 2/1 on your money and he could have a busted flush draw or a small PP like 10-10 and under, I would have to call and spew if he showed a better hand.
    Posted by waynecure
    the player is not going v bet wif 10 he would just check call or fold then u are just turning 10 10 into a bluff and the same to all small pp
  • edited September 2010
    He was clearly searching for a card from the flop, im guessing two diamonds he wanted the third diamond! When he checks then flat calls it isnt showing any strength, its showing he wants to catch his card, because he done this from the flop i think u can discount spades from the hand. And if u can quickly put urself in his mind when he makes such a large bet on  the river ( pot size) Why would he make it so big? he doesnt want u to call it. If he wanted u to call it he would of value bet half pot max or checked then re raised!!  U should of stopped betting on turn and left the hand as dead or called him down at the end and laughed when he turned over 2 diamonds lol
  • edited September 2010
    He was clearly searching for a card from the flop, im guessing two diamonds he wanted the third diamond! When he checks then flat calls it isnt showing any strength, its showing he wants to catch his card, because he done this from the flop i think u can discount spades from the hand. And if u can quickly put urself in his mind when he makes such a large bet on  the river ( pot size) Why would he make it so big? he doesnt want u to call it. If he wanted u to call it he would of value bet half pot max or checked then re raised!!  U should of stopped betting on turn and left the hand as dead or called him down at the end and laughed when he turned over 2 diamonds lol
    Posted by Batkin88
    This makes sense I have to agree
  • edited September 2010
    however it took me a few mins to realise this and understandably its alot harder to read it in 15 secs! I will keep put in his name in my search however and when i find him i will sit at his table and hope he carrys on this style lol
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for the responses.
    It was a very difficult decision at the time and I was very close to calling before I folded.
    Would love to know what he had.

• edited September 2010
    you lose to 2 hands, 5s6s or 8T

you need to narrow his range on each streets - pre/flop you start to discount OP as he either 3bets pre or raises flop, turn, you discount 2p/sets as they raise to protect/for value

river, there are more combos of missed fd/worse Js, busted fd/sd than there are 2 spade cards or 8T so i think this is a call, on a dryer board with no draws missing the situation is different but the river is essentially a brick and if he turns over 5s6s or some funky 2p/set then gg