You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll Management

Hi all,

I have recently had to cash out most of my bankroll due to unemployment, and am now in the process of rebuilding it in the lower level cash games.  This has brought up a bankroll management issue that I, and probably others, would appreciate advice and opinions on.

I like the 5% bankroll idea (only putting a max of 5% of your total bankroll into any cash game), and infact prefer personally to use less than this.  However, should multi-tabling be considered into this? Do people still think it is good to stick with the 5% rule when frequently playing 4/6 tables or more, or should the percentage of bankroll go down relative to number of tables played?

I would be interested to know what other people think.

Boon

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Hi Bonnicon - when you are multi-tabling your variance goes up.

I think I read that for each extra table you should be adding 10BIs/table.

So if you are 4 tabling then you need your 20BI initial plus 30BIs for the 3 extra tables so 50BIs.

Also don't just think of your BR as what you have in your poker account...say you hvae £1k in Sky PLUS if a disaster happens you hvae another £1k that you can reload then you really have £2k BR.

Despite all this the hardest thing is discipline...if only I had more discipline :(

But having played with you a lot sir I don't think this will be an issue with you cos you are a superstarrrrrrrrr! :)

GL sir and as I'm typed this you just sat down with me hiiiiiiiii
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Management:
    Hi Bonnicon - when you are multi-tabling your variance goes up. I think I read that for each extra table you should be adding 10BIs/table. So if you are 4 tabling then you need your 20BI initial plus 30BIs for the 3 extra tables so 50BIs. Also don't just think of your BR as what you have in your poker account...say you hvae £1k in Sky PLUS if a disaster happens you hvae another £1k that you can reload then you really have £2k BR. Despite all this the hardest thing is discipline...if only I had more discipline :( But having played with you a lot sir I don't think this will be an issue with you cos you are a superstarrrrrrrrr! :) GL sir and as I'm typed this you just sat down with me hiiiiiiiii
    Posted by scotty77

I think 50 BI`s 4 tabling NL20 is being overcautious. Ultimately having br discipline is to ride out those horrible downswings. If you are getting anywhere near -50 BI downswing, that is not variance, that just means you are a krap player, which I know you are not.  25-30 BI`s is more than enough.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Management : I think 50 BI`s 4 tabling NL20 is being overcautious. Ultimately having br discipline is to ride out those horrible downswings. If you are getting anywhere near -50 BI downswing, that is not variance, that just means you are a krap player, which I know you are not.  25-30 BI`s is more than enough.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    QFT

Agree with OMahoney, 25 - 30 buyins is plenty for multi tabling, assuming a competent player.  When I multi table, I have a rule that if I lose 3 full Buy ins I stop playing.  This prevents possible tilting issues and also prevents too big a hit on my roll in a single session. 
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, 

In line with what you have all suggested I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry and so am going to continue grinding the low stakes tables which dont risk any substancial loss to my bankroll. 

See you back on the .10/20p tables

Boon
  • edited August 2009
    Allin or all out..  lol,, only joking

I use a 10% to BR amount strat..  i.e = i have £100 , i'd start with £10 (spread about even)
    I would always keep in play that amount above £90 until i hit the BR amount = £90.

Then start the process again  .  I dont usually do it alot here tho ..  i use a differ strat.

you should try and profit after a certain BR amount..

hope that info helps you abit

Lee,,

BTW,, have a how much time and cash approach when going to play.. (stick to it)
  • edited August 2009
    I think that the point that the 2 guys suggesting 25/30 is that Boonicon is doing it as an income/

There is more risk attached as opposed to a casual/part time player
  • edited August 2009
    I think that the point that the 2 guys suggesting 25/30 is that Boonicon is doing it as an income/ There is more risk attached as opposed to a casual/part time player
    Posted by scotty77
    Fair one Scotty, I don't play poker for my living and If I did, I guess my br management would be more conservative.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Bankroll Management:
    Hi all,   I have recently had to cash out most of my bankroll due to unemployment, and am now in the process of rebuilding it in the lower level cash games.  This has brought up a bankroll management issue that I, and probably others, would appreciate advice and opinions on. I like the 5% bankroll idea (only putting a max of 5% of your total bankroll into any cash game), and infact prefer personally to use less than this.  However, should multi-tabling be considered into this? Do people still think it is good to stick with the 5% rule when frequently playing 4/6 tables or more, or should the percentage of bankroll go down relative to number of tables played? I would be interested to know what other people think. Boon
    Posted by Boonicon

Out of interest, what stakes were you playing at before, and what br strat did you use to get there in the first place? also, how long do you think it will take to get back to that level
  • edited August 2009
    OManhonyO - I used to play MTT's, just for fun, won a couple of big ones and deided that i better learn to play cash with the profits.  Thats where my initial bankroll came from.

I have played various stakes, up to 50p/£1 and 1$/2$, but due to finishing Uni in June and having no cash I have had to cash out this bankroll for rent etc. and so am starting from the bottom and working back up to higher level games.  I am not sure how long it will take to get back to this level, but at the moment I am quite happy on the lower stake tables.
  • edited August 2009
    the amount of tables you play should have no effect on how many buyins you need. if you play for 2 hours on 1 table and lose 2 buyins its exactly the same as playing two tables for 1 hour and losing 2 buyins. You still play the same amount of hands, just because you had more money at risk at one time doesnt mean anything. At the end of the day youre still gonna have played the same amount of hands and won or lost the same amount of money, just playing more tables means it will happen in a shorter timespan.

Start with 30 buyins and move up when you have 30 for the next level or move down when you drop below 20.