You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Range for 3-bet calling?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I was wondering what everyone would believe is a decent range for calling a standard sized 3 bet in position in cash games? Obviously with aces and kings it's very situation dependent whether you call or 4 bet but i wondered what would be a reasonable selection of hands to call or 4 bet with.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Range for 3-bet calling?:
    I was wondering what everyone would believe is a decent range for calling a standard sized 3 bet in position in cash games? Obviously with aces and kings it's very situation dependent whether you call or 4 bet but i wondered what would be a reasonable selection of hands to call or 4 bet with. Cheers guys.
    Posted by kirstii
    what range do you think your opponent is 3 betting with?

are they gonna fire every flop?

are they ever going to c/f?

will they fold 2a 4bet?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Range for 3-bet calling?:
    In Response to Range for 3-bet calling? : what range do you think your opponent is 3 betting with? are they gonna fire every flop? are they ever going to c/f? will they fold 2a 4bet?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    This is my main part of the question, it's not against a specific opponent, it's if you had to answer what your range would be again x player or y player what would you be calling and 4 betting with. Wondering what the range should be.
  • edited August 2010
    Apart from AA cant see how anyone can answer your question as depends on players, stack size ect ect ect
  • edited August 2010
    yeh good question kirstii but it all depends on table reputation and stack sizes etc if a player is continually raising then your 3 bet calling or 4 bet could be done with allsorts of hands if the player is tight then obviously that range needs to be smaller.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Range for 3-bet calling? : This is my main part of the question, it's not against a specific opponent, it's if you had to answer what your range would be again x player or y player what would you be calling and 4 betting with. Wondering what the range should be.
    Posted by kirstii
    edit

but there is no standard range, alot can depend how deep you are?

if different situations you have to fold the same hand when someone 3bets you, that you would 4bet someone else with
  • edited August 2010
    Who your opponent is kinda influences your calling range.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Range for 3-bet calling? : edit but there is no standard range, alot can depend how deep you are? if different situations you have to fold the same hand when someone 3bets you, that you would 4bet someone else with
    Posted by SHANXTA
    i fully agree Shanxta.

Id 4-bet a LAG opponent with nothing alot of the time if i had the stack to do so.

But if i didnt have the stack or its a tight opponent i have to adapt my range. :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Range for 3-bet calling? : i fully agree Shanxta. Id 4-bet a LAG opponent with nothing alot of the time if i had the stack to do so. But if i didnt have the stack or its a tight opponent i have to adapt my range. :)
    Posted by The_Don90

I dunno if you are still in an around the 4/8nl area, but seriously, if you are, you should never do this.
  • edited August 2010
    4bet bluffing at micros is setting money on fire
  • edited September 2010

If your 100BB deep i think playing stakes of around 0.50/1 someone has a big hand after a 3 bet 50% of the time (more information would be available to u to decide) I like to call if you have big drawing hands like 56 suited or a small pocket pair(however a fold is obviously fine). The reason for this is not just that you want to hit a big hand you want a hand that doesnt look too co-ordinated. j10 suited is great but any board near it looks terrifying to your opponent,

I much prefer a 2.2x 4 bet in alot of cases as often with AQ or below or 1010 or below people will fold or flat. You really shouldnt be calling a 3bet unless you think there going to find it hard to lay down a big pair otherwise theres not enough value in it.

If you do the 2.2x 4 bet you are inflaming the pot and if they are making abit of a move like KQ suited and they miss quite often you will get it checked down as they are commiting such a huge proportion of there stack to just fire especially when they only called a flat. If they push you have to access whether you want to make a hero call with a small pair.

raise to 4 re raise to 14 re rais to 31.

62 pot with stacks of 69 remaining.