You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how not to play AA pockets EVEN IN POSITION

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
having built up a reasonable bank roll I decided to move up to the 25/50p tables. I was on the button and drew AA and sat in anticipation that someone before me would raise and start a pot. To my dismay they all folded, then came my turn..so I flat called the blinds to try and build a pot for my AA. The biggest mistake I made.. I lost the remaining £37 STACK to flopped str8... THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS 'DON'T GET GREEDY, BETTER TO WIN 75P THAN LOSE YOUR STACK' SLOW PLAY IS NO PLAY AND DESERVE TO LOSE...NICE HAND BY THE WAY GLITERBABE...

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You use the phrase 'build a pot', you have to raise and put chips in the pot to build one.
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
    Never limp. Ever.
    And limping the button is beyond terrible unless you have a definite plan of action other than stacking off whatever the board is just because you have aces.
  • edited September 2010
    U dont need the clinic as u know what u did wrong... expensive lesson m8 UL!
  • edited September 2010
    The main point from this is that your raise on the button already looks exceptionally weak so theres no need to limp, a limp from early anticipation with the hope someone else raises you(if its an active table) is not necessarily a bad play.
  • edited September 2010
    Only limp the button if you got a crazy maniac in the blinds with a 90%+ raising pre stat.  Even then they might well re-raise a standard button raise so there are very few reasons really to open limp on the button with aces.  I would only consider limping here if there are a lot of limpers already in the pot and one of the blinds raises every hand.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: how not to play AA pockets EVEN IN POSITION:
    You use the phrase 'build a pot', you have to raise and put chips in the pot to build one.
    Posted by beaneh
    You can limp with Aces.

Not on the button but certainly from early position, mind you the play is so well known now it is possibly better to just raise. If you have a very agressive table you can limp with the intention of reraising. Most of you probably already know this though but it allows you to get the chance to build the pot preflop.

However if it does not work you want to keep the pot small after the flop they are just one pair obviously, if somebody is betting hard at you you just fold them.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to how not to play AA pockets EVEN IN POSITION:
    having built up a reasonable bank roll I decided to move up to the 25/50p tables. I was on the button and drew AA and sat in anticipation that someone before me would raise and start a pot. To my dismay they all folded, then came my turn..so I flat called the blinds to try and build a pot for my AA. The biggest mistake I made.. I lost the remaining £37 STACK to flopped str8... THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS 'DON'T GET GREEDY, BETTER TO WIN 75P THAN LOSE YOUR STACK' SLOW PLAY IS NO PLAY AND DESERVE TO LOSE...NICE HAND BY THE WAY GLITERBABE...
    Posted by larry1959
    We all learn from our mistakes, although it painsssss me so much to raise with high pocket pairs when theres only one left to act, but iv'e learned from experience that its better to win a little than lose alot.

• edited September 2010
    you know what they say.....

you play with fire, you get stung.