You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on NL4

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
so i played some nl4-nl10 recently. I decided the best strategy is to just pot everything and try and valuetown everyone but when teaching someone to beat nl4 is it better to teach them habits which will stand them in good stead as they move up the levels or teach them the optimal way to beat nl4 and then when they start making money they can adjust as they start to play agianst better players?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Thoughts on NL4:
    so i played some nl4-nl10 recently. I decided the best strategy is to just pot everything and try and valuetown everyone but when teaching someone to beat nl4 is it better to teach them habits which will stand them in good stead as they move up the levels or teach them the optimal way to beat nl4 and then when they start making money they can adjust as they start to play agianst better players?
    Posted by offshoot

Teach them the optimal way to beat nl4 imo.  As their roll grows and they take shots, they will start to realise for themselves what does and doesnt work at the next limit and so on.

Anyway, hows about coaching me on the optimal way to play 100nl
  • edited September 2010
    i pretty much suck at coaching. Its pretty hard to explain thought processes and get people to understand and put things into practise. I often find im contradicting myself.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    I think its just best to teach them what works well at NL4, then when they beat the level their confidence will grow and they should be able to learn to adjust to higher levels.

But tbh I remember when I was first learning I struggled to pick up stuff when someone was trying to teach me, its a lot easier just to start playing at the lowest level and then learn things by yourself as you go imo. And maybe post any interesting/difficult hands on a forum so they can get different opinions on the right play.
  • edited September 2010
    hi offshoot,

i recently moved up to NL8 and NL10 from NL4. I found the problem for me was, my tournament style came out too much, recently ive returned to NL4 as a way and means of re-building what was left of a failing bankroll.

I all honesty i think there is a way to beat NL4, have i found it, i dont know yet, i took £29 off it in 2 hours of play this morning, but i still can improve.

Anyways, im going to keep at NL4 build up a BR, and for each day i play im taking more and more notes. The key thing at this level i find probably more than i use when im playing a higher level is notes. As you said betting big is the key way to making money, youll get called with nothing so often.

Anyways im going to write up an article before i move up to NL10 again, going to miss NL8 competely i find that just NL4 with a bigger blind level lol.

Ill let you know what i come up with.
  • edited September 2010
    I could certainly do with some tips!
    Really eager to build up the roll in order to try the next levels, but I know it'll take some time. especially as I can only do the one table at present.
    It certainly can be "interesting" at NL4.
  • edited September 2010
    TABLE SELECTION FTW!!!

As most of you know i play nl4 and i make a profit by avoiding a few of the better regs there. (yes there are some good players here!!!)

ive been playing cash at this level for about 3 months now and i would say ive cracked this level as i have a br to play higher now.

i make some mistakes still but i seem to be in profit most days.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on NL4:
    TABLE SELECTION FTW!!! As most of you know i play nl4 and i make a profit by avoiding a few of the better regs there. (yes there are some good players here!!!) ive been playing cash at this level for about 3 months now and i would say ive cracked this level as i have a br to play higher now. i make some mistakes still but i seem to be in profit most days.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Really, I pick the tables where there is a seat free!
  • edited September 2010
    lol

well sometimes you dont have much choice i guess :)

• edited September 2010
    like patching i pick the tables with the free seats, my benifit though is i have notes on a large number of players at nl4, i was quad tabling this morning all 4 tables fill 3 people out of them all didnt have a note, so i kept a special eye on these and eventually they had a few.

That kept rotating and kept me going, i later knew exactly where i was in most hands bar the very passive calling stations.