You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good Hands Tourney stratergy?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi

I'm having problems assessing how to play premium hands (especially qq,kk) in tourneys in the mid to later mid stages. Because of the blind pressure people seem to want to go all in or fold. I know this is what to do with say 10 BB or less, but what strategy for say 12 -18 BB?

In this position I WANT (do I?, Dont I?) a caller so do I limp? small raise? - this may encourage the A10 etc to have a go but should I want this?

The level I'm playing at (£1 -£3) quite often folds all the way round to the BB 4 or 5 rounds at a time, a bet or raise (other than all in) is something of a rarity so am I looking suspicious and shouting from the rooftops that I have a good hand?

Should I just be "blind stealing" & if get a caller all well and good?

At present I dont seem to get paid off at all with these sorts of hands, even though I've tried varying the bids. I'm also not ONLY playing premium hands as that would be obvious & a reason for the above.

Any general advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I have the same problem i love getting these hands late on in a tourney but i can never decide how to play them, i find that if the action at the stage in the tourny is just all in or fold then a raise seems TOO strong, so i tend to just put it all in and hope for a call, another thing to take into consideration is that premium hands aren't unbeatable so the blinds are better than nothing!!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Good Hands Tourney stratergy?:
    I have the same problem i love getting these hands late on in a tourney but i can never decide how to play them, i find that if the action at the stage in the tourny is just all in or fold then a raise seems TOO strong, so i tend to just put it all in and hope for a call, another thing to take into consideration is that premium hands aren't unbeatable so the blinds are better than nothing!!
    Posted by christiann
    The problem I find with this, is no-one does call in my limited experience because your stack is not small (ie time to gamble) so automatically you have a great hand?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Good Hands Tourney stratergy?:
    In Response to Re: Good Hands Tourney stratergy? : The problem I find with this, is no-one does call in my limited experience because your stack is not small (ie time to gamble) so automatically you have a great hand?
    Posted by Ploppy33
    yeah its definitely frustrating when u get no callers, obviously the other option is to just limp in and hope someone else does the raising, if not at least the bb could hit on the flop..
  • edited September 2010
    dont call late in a tourney!

with qq/kk id be raising big or shoving.

if its late in the comp the blinds will be high so try a good sized raise or shove.

that way you will nick the blinds or maybe get called but qq is good here most of the time.

shove or raise will depend how many bbs you have i guess.

if you are short just shove if you are chip leader you could try say 2/3/4x raise (depending on the blind levels i guess)
  • edited September 2010
    Please raise these every time. Preflop, I'm raise-calling all in and that's my only decision.

Postflop (if I raise and get called), that's where it gets a little bit harder. A lot of variation dependent on board textures and opponents. Standard line here though is to get it all in on most low flops. Ace high flops is dependent on opponents.