You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Big PP in Blinds facing 3-bet

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Two hands that are fairly similar (despite one being in Cash and one being in a Tournament) that I played at DTD over the weekend:

Hand 1:
50p/£1 Cash
Both Villains have ~£200, Hero has £150
Hero in BB, dealt QsQd
UTG raises to £8
UTG+1 raises to £32
Hero ???

UTG has been raising fairly wide, UTG+1 has only previously shown aggression PF with the top 5 hands but has yet to 3-bet PF. I don't have a great image but would be seen as more of a calling station than a maniac.

Hand 2:
APAT WCOAP Main Event, Day 2
SB/BB/Ante: 2k/4k/300
MP1 has ~250k, MP2 has ~180k, Hero has ~200k
Hero in SB, dealt TsTh
MP1 raises to 9k
MP2 raises to 23.5k
Hero ???

MP1 has been raising a lot of pots with a very wide range. MP2 is definitely a smart enough player to know this, but in the short time he's been at the table (about 2 rounds) he hasn't been too busy apart from open-raise/folding to AIPF (where if his opponent was "30 years younger" he'd have called). Both villains have only seen me play 1 hand, in which I open-raise/folded PF. At this stage of the tournament there are ~50 players left, 44 of which cash, but I want to win the Tournament and am aware that to have an average stack for the FT i'll need to double up on my 200k. I'd say that all 3 players in this hand were in the top 6 or 7 chip stacks in the Tournament.

Questions:
1. Is calling in either of those 2 spots terrible?
2. If the answer to question 1 is no, how do we act post-flop (assuming the open-raiser doesn't 4-bet)?
3. In hand 1, if the answer to question 1 is yes, is our only move AI?
4. In hand 2, if the answer to question 1 is yes, is 4bet/fold an acceptable play?
5. Should hand 2 be a fold?
6. What do we do in hand 2 if we had QQ? What do we do if we had 88?
7. Any other comments?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    i think calling in both is bad
    fold hand 1
    mehhhhhhhhhhhhh im bad at tourneys but 4bet/folding would make me cry. think i fold here too.
    if we had QQ id 4bet/c ~55k. however idk if this is good
  • edited September 2010
    Answers:

1. Yes.
    2. N/A
    3. Nope. We can fold here. Against UTG I'm 3-bet shipping all day long. UTG+1 worries me though...is he likely to do this with JJ-88/AQ-AJ etc? If so, then ship. If not, and you can narrow him down to AA/AK/KK/QQ (highly unlikely, the last one, but you never know!!) then it's an easy pass.
    4. Not really, I'm probably leaning towards 4-bet/call if I'm gonna 4-bet here, quite simply because I don't want to raise-fold 33% of my stack.
    5. This close to the bubble, and knowing that APAT tournies can be pretty nitty at the best of times, I'm mucking this. However, give me JJ and I'm 4-bet calling, that's how close it is.
    6. QQ is a 4-bet/shove. 88 insta-muck.
    7. Well played and unlucky to make the big bucks. Oh, and FYI, I'm Joobie's other half.