You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i make a correct play here or what it stupid???? help please trying to improve my game

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
The reason why i made this play was it looked like i was trying to hit the flush and when the heart came the only way i win the pot is by betting it as if i did have the flush any comments would be appreciated as im trying to make my game better

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Buster69Small blind 25.0025.003405.00dewy30Big blind 50.0075.001885.00 Your hole cards
       rats107Call 50.00125.009115.00BobbyM147Fold    worthy40Call 50.00175.003690.00Ice_CoachCall 50.00225.002560.00Buster69Call 25.00250.003380.00dewy30Check    Flop  
       Buster69Check    dewy30Bet 187.50437.501697.50rats107Fold    worthy40Fold    Ice_CoachFold    Buster69Call 187.50625.003192.50Turn  
       Buster69Check    dewy30Bet 450.001075.001247.50Buster69Call 450.001525.002742.50River  
    • J
       Buster69All-in 2742.504267.500.00dewy30Fold    Buster69Show
       Buster69Win 1525.00 1525.00Buster69Return 2742.500.004267.50

• edited September 2010
     it  throughoutIn Response to Re: Did i make a correct play here or what it stupid???? help please trying to improve my game:
    The reason why i made this play was it looked like i was trying to hit the flush and when the heart came the only way i win the pot is by betting it as if i did have the flush any comments would be appreciated as im trying to make my game better
    Posted by Buster69
    Hi Buster

First thing that stands out from this is how passively you played it throughout. To limp in preflop with a small pocket pair is sometimes attractive to hit the set, but will often, as here, get you into trouble. The problem is you are then playing opponents with a huge range of hands in an unraised pot.

Obviously to flop the open ended straight draw and also have a pair on a low board, puts you in a good position, but you have no idea what your opponents hold. And by checking then calling you wont find out. Possibly a raise may have taken the pot there and then.

But having checked, your opponent makes a weakish less than potsize bet. He is last to act in an unraised pot, so he could be doing this with anything. This is where you must raise and find out where you are. With the relative stack sizes a bet of 600/700 would be correct, and would almost certainly won it there and then. He would be unlikely to call as that would pot commit him. So he can either fold or shove, and if he shoves you can then reassess whether you want to make the call with the draw. You certainly have the odds to do so.

When the turn is a blank, your check is again weak, as is his tiny bet in relation to the pot. To call again here is pointless,what are you looking for ? To hit your straight on the river ? He may be looking to hit his flush. If I was this far into the hand, folding or putting him allin are the only options.

So when the river gives you nothing apart from an opportunity to represent the flush, what do you put your opponent on ???? There are so many hands beating you. He may have hit a flush himself, or could easily be playing a big pocket pair or maybe A8.

I bet you shut your eyes when you shoved !!!!

But if you hadnt he would have fired the third barrel irrespective of his hand, too many chips in there to do anything else. And you would have been in a bad spot.

So you took it down without a clue about his hand. He may well have been on a busted draw himself, but was probably only betting because nobody else was.

Sorry mate, you wont win many tournies playing like that

Tony

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i make a correct play here or what it stupid???? help please trying to improve my game:
     it  throughoutIn Response to Re: Did i make a correct play here or what it stupid???? help please trying to improve my game : Hi Buster First thing that stands out from this is how passively you played it throughout. To limp in preflop with a small pocket pair is sometimes attractive to hit the set, but will often, as here, get you into trouble. The problem is you are then playing opponents with a huge range of hands in an unraised pot. Obviously to flop the open ended straight draw and also have a pair on a low board, puts you in a good position, but you have no idea what your opponents hold. And by checking then calling you wont find out. Possibly a raise may have taken the pot there and then. But having checked, your opponent makes a weakish less than potsize bet. He is last to act in an unraised pot, so he could be doing this with anything. This is where you must raise and find out where you are. With the relative stack sizes a bet of 600/700 would be correct, and would almost certainly won it there and then. He would be unlikely to call as that would pot commit him. So he can either fold or shove, and if he shoves you can then reassess whether you want to make the call with the draw . You certainly have the odds to do so. When the turn is a blank, your check is again weak, as is his tiny bet in relation to the pot. To call again here is pointless,what are you looking for ? To hit your straight on the river ? He may be looking to hit his flush. If I was this far into the hand, folding or putting him allin are the only options. So when the river gives you nothing apart from an opportunity to represent the flush, what do you put your opponent on ???? There are so many hands beating you. He may have hit a flush himself, or could easily be playing a big pocket pair or maybe A8. I bet you shut your eyes when you shoved !!!! But if you hadnt he would have fired the third barrel irrespective of his hand, too many chips in there to do anything else. And you would have been in a bad spot. So you took it down without a clue about his hand. He may well have been on a busted draw himself, but was probably only betting because nobody else was. Sorry mate, you wont win many tournies playing like that Tony
    Posted by penguin7

Thanks penguin at least i know now there are a few hands i am unsure about nightly and hopefully this is the feedback i want if im doing something wrong then this advice helps me change it thanks anyway mate gl at the tables
  • edited September 2010
    its played like ur calling to catch a  flush or str8,and wen the J comes on river,unless oppo has hit flush or str8 himself,hes unlikely to call(depending on  level),you may be unlukky and get called by A8 (lol),or any J..,or 2 pair...,a set,probly calls..? nice shove,imo...tried cash???
  • edited September 2010
    its clever play if u planned it before turn card appeared, if it just kind of happened then it is a losing stratergy. However everything penguin said is correct but its plays like that what chages a player playing for fun and a player making money! I like it if its a once a table thing. But dont do it on low tables they will call whatever they have and 9 times out of ten they get lucky on the river
  • edited September 2010

Thanks again guys for the feedback to your question batkin if it was planned i had it planned from the flop that i would make it look like i had the flush draw which then would hide my open ended straight draw aswell so i was trying to make it look like i had more outs than what i actually did then when the 3rd heart came on the river that was when i had to represent.