You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Goal Line technology

edited September 2010 in The Football Corner
i thought it was a good idea and the obvious solution but i'm against it now.

i like the human error aspect of football and don't think any technology should be used.

what changed my mind was Spurs v Stoke the other week, when Huth fouled Gomes before the ball crossed the line (just)

The ref missed it all, the "goal" was not allowed, but it WOULD have been if they had the technology...and it shouldn't have been..(because of the foul on Gomes)

(those who saw the incident will know what i'm talking about)

and it started me thinking - where's it going to end?

i think they should just let the ref's make their own decisions and leave things as they are.

as they say , it all balances itself out in the end.

Comments

• edited September 2010

Theyve FINALLY clocked on and introduced it in cricket.

Just get the right decision, it's not hard !!!

Also, have 2 ppl behind the goal with a buzzer in their hand. Give one to the referee too. When they see a foul in the area, they shud press their buzzer. If 2 of the 3 offciials press the buzzer within 3 seconds of eachother, a penalty shud be awarded.

I don't think enough penalties r awarded as referees "bottle it" especially at old trafford. This will take some of the heat off the officials, and stop pushing/shirt pulling at F/k's/corners.
  • edited September 2010
    JJ for the win.
  • edited September 2010

My aim isn't to get 15 penalties per match btw, its to clean the game up. The players will soon figure out what's going on and stop cheating.

With the stoke example, the official in charge of the technology, cud use his common sense and if there's a foul before the ball goes over the line, it's no goal anyway....

Rugby league is the sport that sets the standard, for using common sense, and "getting on with the game". You can have a full on 20 man punch up in the middle on the field, 2 players get yellow cards, and they get right on with it.

COMMON SENSE FOR THE WIN??
  • edited September 2010
    common sense AND JJ for the win
  • edited September 2010
    but the ref didnt give the foul so he deemed no offence had taken place,the ball crossed the line so it were a goal and if he didnt think it crossed the line he should of blown up for a peno for handball on crouch and sent him off for preventing a goal but noooo he got no balls to do that either.all unbiased btw ;-)
    i know england didnt deserve out against germany but if goal line technology was there things could of been different well maybe not..oh well time to take those red n white tinted specs off
  • edited September 2010
    Goal line technology is a must.

Decisions do not even themselves out especially in cup competitions.  Every decision is crucial, the refs can't do it on their own, the lino's cant keep up, so give them some help.

Its bull s about slowing the game down, its slow enough with all the pussys rolling around the floor acting injured anyhow.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Goal Line technology:
    goals get disallowed/allowed off the back of correct/incorrect offside decisions all the time if officials have technology to decide if its over the line or not then they need help with offsides too.. ..theres will always be occasions of "should or shouldnt it have been a goal" i agree, it's great for other sports, but not football, everything leading up to a goal has to be taken into account too KEEP THINGS HOW THEY ARE!
    Posted by beginluck
    Yes of course there will but we can reduce the amount of mistakes and blatant goals in an instance.  There was a goal given in the championship that hit the advertising board ffs.  Surely we can get that right.

Offsides don't take a long time either.  If its marginal you do the same in cricket as in you go with the original decision.

Why don't we just try it, say in the carling cup or something, what have we got to lose?
  • edited September 2010
    I'm still not sure either way about goal line technology but one thing I would love to see introduced would be for each team to be able to challenge one refereeing decision per half (maybe even per match but 90 minutes is a long time).

If you make a challenge & you're proved to be wrong then you can't challenge any more decisions in that game. If however you're proved right then you keep your right to make another challenge in the same half.

Maybe it'll improve things, maybe it won't? One thing's for sure though, if everyone knows this is in place at the start of each game then there can be no complaints.

At the end of the day there's just too much at stake in the modern game. I remember back in the late 90's (maybe early 2000's, I'm not entirely sure now) Bolton were relegated by a really narrow margin (can't remember if it was 1 point or goal difference but I know it was close). Anyhow, during the season in a game against Everton (if I remember correctly) TV replays proved that they had scored a perfectly good goal which was ruled out. If that goal had stood like it should've of then the chances are they wouldn't have been relegated (obviously we'll never actually know for sure).

People say it would slow the game down too much but I totally disagree. How many times has a big decision gone against a team & the game's been held up for 5 minutes whilst the players chase the ref round the pitch? If Sky or ESPN or whoever can bring up a replay in seconds then why not put it to good use?

There will always be mistakes made in games & that's part & parcel of what we all love but the skill (for want of a better word) would be what decision to challenge & what to leave alone.

• edited September 2010
    I would definately have it! You could do it everytime a goal is scored, and if there is an offside at anytime just let them play on unless a goal is scored, that would speed the game up, and as for slowing the game down, what about the messing about everytime a free kick is awarded, the ref trying to get players 10 yards away lol. I would also award 'penalty goals' when like in the world cup a player saves it on the line with his hands, i would send him off and award the 'goal without a penalty take' if the ball would have clearly crossed the line without cheating.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Goal Line technology : more good points, i dont if sky or ESPN could do it for every single match across the UK then you got all the other smaller leagues who wouldnt be on a level playing field with the big leagues sure theres millions of pounds riding on it but 3 teams must be relagated every season, and you never know, it might be a touch of good luck that keeps a team up! (depends on who your supporting)# i'm still unconverted
    Posted by beginluck
    The thing is, there's cameras at every football league ground these days & even most of the higher non leagues teams have at least one camera there. Granted, it would only work down to a certain level of the game but then again towards the lower end of the game most people are playing for the fun of it.

I don't know. There must be some sort of happy medium out there which allows for human error (& subsequently talking points!) whilst eradicating some of the most horrendous decisions I've ever witnessed?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Goal Line technology : more good points, i dont if sky or ESPN could do it for every single match across the UK then you got all the other smaller leagues who wouldnt be on a level playing field with the big leagues sure theres millions of pounds riding on it but 3 teams must be relagated every season, and you never know, it might be a touch of good luck that keeps a team up! (depends on who your supporting)# i'm still unconverted
    Posted by beginluck
    snooker do it at the world championships, im sure they dont have cameras in your local snooker hall, tennis uses hawkeye, but its only used at the highest level, as with rugby, cricket, etc etc, there has to be a distinction between the highest level professionally and the lower levels.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Goal Line technology : snooker do it at the world championships, im sure they dont have cameras in your local snooker hall, tennis uses hawkeye, but its only used at the highest level, as with rugby, cricket, etc etc, there has to be a distinction between the highest level professionally and the lower levels.
    Posted by loonytoons
    THIS!!!
  • edited September 2010
    My aim isn't to get 15 penalties per match btw, its to clean the game up. The players will soon figure out what's going on and stop cheating. With the stoke example, the official in charge of the technology, cud use his common sense and if there's a foul before the ball goes over the line, it's no goal anyway.... Rugby league is the sport that sets the standard, for using common sense, and "getting on with the game". You can have a full on 20 man punch up in the middle on the field, 2 players get yellow cards, and they get right on with it. COMMON SENSE FOR THE WIN??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

+1   + HEAVY FINES ON PLAYERS AND CLUB

ALSO TEAMS GO UP AND DOWN BECAUSE OF THIS AND BIG TOURNAMENT TROPHIES ARE  WON AND LOST BECAUSE OF BASIC HUMAN ERROR  - AND MONEY WON AND LOST - WHEN YOU LAST TEAM GETS DONE BY A CLEARLY WRONG DECISON - IT SUX