You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

You disconnected its not my problem!!!

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
There was a thing recently mr Hartigan brought up on the primo that if ur heads up on the final table and you opponent disconnects should you wait for him or steal his blinds!
Now at the time i thought it would be harsh to steal there blinds and anyway when would that happen to me??!
Well it just happened we where heads up i had about 40% of the chips he obv had the rest.. he then disconnected!

Hmmmmm should i wait or should i start taking his blinds which where quite large at the time.

Anyway the reason for this post is to tell Mr Hartigan that as much as i would like to say i would wait and then let him come back and play it out, i just couldnt bring myself to wait longer than 5 mins!!
So 5 mins went past and i started furiously hitting my raise button!!
And then when he went from 28000 chips to exactly 214 he reconnected .... oops in fairness it was 20 mins later!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I don't think anyone would begrudge you doing exactly this.  Certain circumstances might change the amount of time you'd wait but in general this seems reasonable to me.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: You disconnected its not my problem!!!:
    I don't think anyone would begrudge you doing exactly this.  Certain circumstances might change the amount of time you'd wait but in general this seems reasonable to me.
    Posted by Machka
    + 1
  • edited September 2010
    Heads up I have now waited twice for an opponent to reconnect.  On both occasions I had ample time to steal all their chips but decided not to.

Here's the morale of this story ..... DON'T BOTHER WAITING !!!!   I lost BOTH games.  My first opponent was very grateful and even posted a thread on here praising my actions.  The second one didn't even bother with a "ty" in the chatbox.  It was at this point that I decided NEVER AGAIN and in future I will steal as quickly as I can !!!!!
  • edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010
    This happened to me tonight in a £3.30 rebuy tournament, i got heads up and disastor my laptop freezes ! (why now !!! lol)

When i got disconnected from the game i had about a 2/1 chip lead, i get back on finally after what seemed like hours (about 2 mins) to find my oppo quick raising to steal my chips (cheeky b ugger)

Well more fool him as the very hand i logged back onto he raised all in, i called just in time and made a full house and eventually won the tournament.

Hmmm justice :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to You disconnected its not my problem!!!:
    There was a thing recently mr Hartigan brought up
    I stopped reading after this, wonder why he's constantly miserable?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to You disconnected its not my problem!!! : I stopped reading after this, wonder why he's constantly miserable?
    Posted by MadHorse
    You posted that hand you won £600 on with only £75 in your stack on here yet? Then done a runner
  • edited September 2010
    Let's be real here, most poker players in casions are about 10 stone and 5 foot 2, you're not going to do much if someone 6ft 4 220lbs takes your money grabs his jacket and walks out.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to You disconnected its not my problem!!!:
    There was a thing recently mr Hartigan brought up on the primo that if ur heads up on the final table and you opponent disconnects should you wait for him or steal his blinds! Now at the time i thought it would be harsh to steal there blinds and anyway when would that happen to me??! Well it just happened we where heads up i had about 40% of the chips he obv had the rest.. he then disconnected! Hmmmmm should i wait or should i start taking his blinds which where quite large at the time. Anyway the reason for this post is to tell Mr Hartigan that as much as i would like to say i would wait and then let him come back and play it out, i just couldnt bring myself to wait longer than 5 mins!! So 5 mins went past and i started furiously hitting my raise button!! And then when he went from 28000 chips to exactly 214 he reconnected .... oops in fairness it was 20 mins later!
    Posted by Batkin88

I have to credit DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH for raising this question of etiquette / ethics.  He created a poll on the forum.  I simply drew attention to it on a recent live show.

For the record, I don't think there is a "correct" answer to this question and I'm not judging anyone who believes you should just "go for it" as soon as your opponent disconnects.

However, I raised the point that in a live game, if your opponent needed to take a five minute emergency break, surely you'd wait for him to return before resuming play?

In Batkin88's particular case, I would have done exactly the same thing.  Give the other guy five minutes.  After that, if he's been unable to re-connect, steal away!

• edited September 2010
    In Response to You disconnected its not my problem!!! : I stopped reading after this, wonder why he's constantly miserable?
    Posted by MadHorse
    Ha!  When miserable, I can always be cheered up by the wit, humour and eloquent prose on the Sky Poker forum ;-)

• edited September 2010
    i`v had the same in a heads up, i could talk to the player but for some reason he could not do any bettin, so i said i`d wait for them after 10 mins, they got fed up and told me to go for it, even though i had double his chips when they went down, it was not a satisfiying win
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: You disconnected its not my problem!!! : Ha!  When miserable, I can always be cheered up by the wit, humour and eloquent prose on the Sky Poker forum ;-)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    If it's eloquent prose you're after then you want this thread.
  • edited September 2010
    Absolutley no problem with that at ...Just suppose it was a £100+ byin...ya damm right i would not even wait! Why should we suffer because someone has a weak internet flow speed! And why do some players seem to disscon at th e moment there are only a few players left!....What is a player doing playing online poker if he has a naff internet sorce!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to You disconnected its not my problem!!! : I have to credit DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH for raising this question of etiquette / ethics.  He created a poll on the forum.  I simply drew attention to it on a recent live show. For the record, I don't think there is a "correct" answer to this question and I'm not judging anyone who believes you should just "go for it" as soon as your opponent disconnects. However, I raised the point that in a live game, if your opponent needed to take a five minute emergency break, surely you'd wait for him to return before resuming play? In Batkin88's particular case, I would have done exactly the same thing.  Give the other guy five minutes.  After that, if he's been unable to re-connect, steal away!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Funnily enough this precise event did occur to me in a live tournament last week.

My opponent just went and said can you hold up while I go to the loo.

It actually annoyed me, the blinds were really catching up with us - I think we had about 15 blinds each, and it was only 10 minutes to a scheduled break.

The blinds issue is what makes me say that it's not a problem to punish people who disconnect - if you wait for them, the blinds go up and you increase the luck factor. I see absolutely no problem with avoiding this by taking their blinds while they're disconnected because of this.

In this specific live example I told the dealer to deal slowly but not to stop, so my opponent lost the minimum, but still lost a bit.

• edited September 2010
    yeah m8 ur right to ask the dealer 2 carry on, sounds 2 me he was trying it on with 10mins 2 break anyway..
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: You disconnected its not my problem!!! : Funnily enough this precise event did occur to me in a live tournament last week. My opponent just went and said can you hold up while I go to the loo. It actually annoyed me, the blinds were really catching up with us - I think we had about 15 blinds each, and it was only 10 minutes to a scheduled break. The blinds issue is what makes me say that it's not a problem to punish people who disconnect - if you wait for them, the blinds go up and you increase the luck factor. I see absolutely no problem with avoiding this by taking their blinds while they're disconnected because of this. In this specific live example I told the dealer to deal slowly but not to stop, so my opponent lost the minimum, but still lost a bit.
    Posted by BelovedLtd
    Well done on getting heads up against Tikay.  But next time, I hope you'll be more understanding of his "needs."  The break may only have been 10 minutes away, but the old man's bladder is weak ;-)

(In all seriousness, if you ever find yourself HU again with 15bbs each - consider chopping!!!)

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: You disconnected its not my problem!!! : Well done on getting heads up against Tikay.  But next time, I hope you'll be more understanding of his "needs."  The break may only have been 10 minutes away, but the old man's bladder is weak ;-) (In all seriousness, if you ever find yourself HU again with 15bbs each - consider chopping!!!)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    If my opponent had extreme age and infirmity on his side then I might have considered that a reasonable excuse ;-)

• edited September 2010
    ... (In all seriousness, if you ever find yourself HU again with 15bbs each - consider chopping!!!)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I've just remembered, if you think that's a bad position to get to.

I was in a tournament in July where a deal was done when it got to the stage where there were less than 20bbs on the table.

That was a 4 way deal!