You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20bb's 3 limpers

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Wrighty24 Small blind 100.00 100.00 9155.00
35suited Big blind  200.00 300.00 3800.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

windamon Call  200.00 500.00 17708.75
cruican Call  200.00 700.00 7760.00
volcan0 Fold     
Wrighty24 Call  100.00 800.00 9055.00
35suited ???    
Really been struglnig in this kind of situation recently and just looking for some advice on what the correct play would be.

Only been moved to the table about 5 hands previous, and no previous notes on those involved in the hand.

Normally id be looking to raise to 1000, but with the limpers maybe 1500, but would I be better of just shoving? if i miss the flop ive only got 12 bb's left so feel im pretty much pot commited.

Or should I just check and see a flop then decide what to do? (this is the option i hate most so most likely the right option)

Thanks
Gareth

Comments

• edited September 2010
    dont check and see the flop! You need to get reads on there hands i would reccomend raising to 800 or 1000 this way u may keep one caller to take to the flop. That way he is just as likely not to hit as you, so you may still be ahead. You dont want 4 players seeing the flop they may catch top pair and go all in or could flop trips or two pair and slow play against ya.
    The less players you take to this flop the better! I think 1500 is too high of a raise though if you want to see a flop, i wouldnt reccomend shoving just incase a rag ace calls ya.
  • edited September 2010
    Shove pre and increase your stack by 21%.
  • edited September 2010
    If I know UTG is liable to limp-folding then I might shove, but he has ~90BB so he might snap us off with a lot of hands that beat us that we can usually fold out with that move (ace rags), so idk.

Meh, don't know if i'm being too nitty but I pretty much always check here. Don't like a raise because one of a decent size will leave us OOP with a marginal hand and ~1PSB left. We don't need to win every pot, and we can still outflop them anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh great 3 different answers so far lol thanks for the replies so far
  • edited September 2010
    every1 is diff m8 lol

There is no set way to play it, im a tight but aggressive player thats my view, whereas yougun is tight but passive.
    You will constantly get put in that posist so pick ur way of playing it and stick with it.
  • edited September 2010
    Shove for me.....

800 dead chips out there, so ud be getting better than 50-50 on a race, and u have a big enough stack to get people to fold better hands.

I hate raising, you're too shallow, it would be at least 1/4 of ur stack, and likely to get called in 2/3 places, as the limpers obviously want to see the flop, and are deep enough to do so. 

Checking is the next best option.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 20bb's 3 limpers:
    every1 is diff m8 lol There is no set way to play it, im a tight but aggressive player thats my view, whereas yougun is tight but passive. You will constantly get put in that posist so pick ur way of playing it and stick with it.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Yeah thats my problem i constantly change the way i play it and constantly choose the wrong way to play it each time lol
  • edited September 2010
    lol confidence my man confidence. Stick to one way of playing and improve on it! When ppl say change the way you play dont change it all change raise sizes change posistional play. Dohhhhhhhhhhhh is a good player so what he said is prob a really good way to go if your the aggressive type. Which i know he is! Lol he took me all the way to the river the other nyt with pocket jacks when there where aces and queens down and this was on a £100 table i was sweating when i went all in! lol!

You gotta figure your own game out and then add bits to it i would still raise here and keep one caller that way you can fold if someone is hiding aces or kings or if someone hits a miracle flop.
  • edited September 2010
    Ugh that hand is still haunting me batkin!!! Krazy river shove, somehow convinced myself u cud have had the bare king of hearts, or maybe get you to fold AK with a river jam, but......ud turned 2pair, so that was the end of that.

Have to spend the first 3 hours grinding today to get the money from that 1 hand back !! grrrrr WP tho.

If u ever see me sitting at nl50 or above after 2am it's probably +ev to get yourself on the waiting list, just a disaster waiting to happen really.

The reason I dnt like raising is you cannot raise an amount which will guarantee 1 caller......the guy who open limps first calls, and it gives the other guys odds to call, and u go to a flop multi-way, the same as if you would have checked, and ur in no mans land if u miss......

• edited September 2010
    For what its worth i did go all in here utg snap called me with aq and that was the end of that, if id raised I think id have been re-raised anyway, would I have put it down after putting quater of my stack in? probably not even tho im sure to be behind.
  • edited September 2010

tables are strong today dohhhhhh! Im up but not by much today!

Well unlucky in that hand ur obvthe aggressive type however dont change it 9 times out of ten they will fold m8!

Ul gl in future tables

• edited September 2010
    Ugh that hand is still haunting me batkin!!! Krazy river shove, somehow convinced myself u cud have had the bare king of hearts, or maybe get you to fold AK with a river jam, but......ud turned 2pair, so that was the end of that. Have to spend the first 3 hours grinding today to get the money from that 1 hand back !! grrrrr WP tho. If u ever see me sitting at nl50 or above after 2am it's probably +ev to get yourself on the waiting list, just a disaster waiting to happen really. The reason I dnt like raising is you cannot raise an amount which will guarantee 1 caller......the guy who open limps first calls, and it gives the other guys odds to call, and u go to a flop multi-way, the same as if you would have checked, and ur in no mans land if u miss......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks!!
    I watched that table for about an hour before i sat down so i watched your raises and what you ended with, i did pick up you had pocket pair in hand so i could discount the flush unless another heart come up. I honestly thought you had trips with that last bet but i had to call. You dont play crud hands like every1 makes out tho!!! lol u left after so didnt get chance to say unlucky (not salting the wounds tho) gl on ur tables i will prob see u about 2 o'clock tonyt on a nl50 table
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Go all in. I did something similar actually in the bounty hunter yesterday with A8s but unfortuntely someone had limped with 99. gg me :(

And dohh its never a good idea trying to get someone to fold an ace even on a scary board unless you know them really well. But I loved the hero call with ace high though lol, it was soooo almost right!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    I shud have raised, when a guys bluffs turn out to be value bets that get called, I think thats just the definition of being owned!!!

I dont think he folds to a raise though, I dunno why I do stupid stuff like that.

100% nit today, until I lose a buy in.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    I shud have raised, when a guys bluffs turn out to be value bets that get called, I think thats just the definition of being owned!!! I dont think he folds to a raise though, I dunno why I do stupid stuff like that. 100% nit today, until I lose a buy in.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't bluffing, I just think that he flopped bottom pair on a paired board and didn't know what to do so just donked into you, then just carried on betting because he was scared that if he checked and you bet he'd have no clue what to do next.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 20bb's 3 limpers : I'm pretty sure he wasn't bluffing, I just think that he flopped bottom pair on a paired board and didn't know what to do so just donked into you, then just carried on betting because he was scared that if he checked and you bet he'd have no clue what to do next.
    Posted by yb
    Oh yeah i forgot that hand just before! I bet he cried when it came up ur cards where mucked!!! HERO CALL gotta love it lol
  • edited September 2010
    Stack size makes it close between checking and shoving imo

Raising to 1k is lolbad
  • edited September 2010

If the blinds are going up soon I shove, if not I'm checking.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to 20bb's 3 limpers:
    Wrighty24 Small blind 100.00 100.00 9155.00 35suited Big blind   200.00 300.00 3800.00   Your hole cards Q K       windamon Call   200.00 500.00 17708.75 cruican Call   200.00 700.00 7760.00 volcan0 Fold         Wrighty24 Call   100.00 800.00 9055.00 35suited ???         Really been struglnig in this kind of situation recently and just looking for some advice on what the correct play would be. Only been moved to the table about 5 hands previous, and no previous notes on those involved in the hand. Normally id be looking to raise to 1000, but with the limpers maybe 1500, but would I be better of just shoving? if i miss the flop ive only got 12 bb's left so feel im pretty much pot commited. Or should I just check and see a flop then decide what to do? (this is the option i hate most so most likely the right option) Thanks Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
    You didn't mention in your post if this was a bounty hunter or a straight forward tournie and by the blinds you are probably getting near the cash.... but either way you are the short stack on the table and need to shove..another set of curcumstances and you may fold the same 2 cards... and I agree with raising to get rid of limpers..(you could take 1/2 their stacks (7000+)..you may get a call from the chip leader... which is what you want... 3xBB would be enough to show strength at these blinds..if someone goes over the top then you can always fold..but you have to ask the question.. you could hit your K on the flop and raise all in or make a pot size bet (which would be almost you whole stack anyway) and get called ( or re-raised all) in by a monster hand .you have no option but to call... bottom line..raise and take control...being short stacked can make some of the medium and even the large stacks wary what they call with..they know you are looking to double up..especially in the latter stages when your getting near the money..and just to point out...you mentioned missing the flop... Cbet and make it 3/4 of the pot at least..the chances are your caller has missed also and will fold.