You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how much can one take?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #287394371 (16:52 05/09/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mrBEN485 Small blind  100.00 100.00 1245.00
bigbow1507 Big blind  200.00 300.00 1235.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

ANDYTAYLOR Fold     
Plastic Raise  400.00 700.00 5915.00
mrBEN485 All-in  1245.00 1945.00 0.00
bigbow1507 Fold     
Plastic Call  945.00 2890.00 4970.00
mrBEN485 Show
  • A
  • A

Plastic Show
  • J
  • J

Flop

Turn

River

Plastic Win Flush to the Jack 2890.00  7860.00

Comments

• edited September 2010

help!

over the last few days i have lost 20+% of my bankroll with hands such as this.  i didnt think it possible for this type of thing to happen with such regularity, it really has started to defy belief.    What should i do?   stop playing for a while or play and keep losing losing losing bad beat bad beat bad beat.
    anyone have any tales of their losses caused by variance where a large percentage of  their bankroll has been lost.  any good players that've had a staggeringly bad luck spell they could tell me about that theyve overcome?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: how much can one take?:
    help! over the last few days i have lost 20+% of my bankroll with hands such as this.  i didnt think it possible for this type of thing to happen with such regularity, it really has started to defy belief.    What should i do?   stop playing for a while or play and keep losing losing losing bad beat bad beat bad beat. anyone have any tales of their losses caused by variance where a large percentage of  their bankroll has been lost.  any good players that've had a staggeringly bad luck spell they could tell me about that theyve overcome?
    Posted by mrBEN485
    i feel your pain mate, and im not sure im classed as a 'good' player but yes we all go through rough periods where you just seem to suffer bad beat after bad beat, but yeah in times like this i would suggest a short break and your luck should change in good time, just know your limit on what your prepared to lose and never risk anymore than that in one session.

Hope you start running good soon ;)

Good luck.
  • edited September 2010
    Keep the faith mate..

Just keep getting your money in ahead and doing the right things and your luck will change.  I think everybody goes on bad runs where you can't seen to win a hand and you keep getting your money in good but you keep losing!! Then you can go on tilt and make things worse..
    If it's doing your head in I would take a break for a bit and come back refreshed and ready to enjoy poker again.. It is not enjoyable when everything is going against you.

• edited September 2010
    stop playing aces?
  • edited September 2010
    @ beaneh, yeah i had considered removing them from my range .....lol

seriously though
    thanks for the words of advice guys, much appreciated.  just nice to know im not on my own.

poker vacation starts now.............but for how long?!
  • edited September 2010
    i hit the worst run i have ever hit a few months back and it was a mental killer.
    how long will it last? no idea, mine went on for 2 months and that was 6 tabling 30 ish hours per week.
    If you norm play every day take 4/5 days off.  Play within your roll my downswing cost me 40 buyins.
  • edited September 2010
    Take a break, think over things, outwith poker return review your play, dont play though, jot down mistakes, ok none made above but there will be in others, revise and study them, then return to the tables.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: how much can one take?:
    In Response to Re: how much can one take? : i feel your pain mate, and im not sure im classed as a 'good' player but yes we all go through rough periods where you just seem to suffer bad beat after bad beat, but yeah in times like this i would suggest a short break and your luck should change in good time, just know your limit on what your prepared to lose and never risk anymore than that in one session. Hope you start running good soon ;) Good luck.
    Posted by christiann
    Do what i did ....a lot of research on RNG .....Then you will be wiser! .....i hope!
  • edited September 2010
    try researching (typing this stuff in google)

probability theory

the law of large numbers

variance

standard deviation

sample size

• edited September 2010
    some complex ****
  • edited September 2010
    Tikay made a comment a while back about bad beats, and it kinda helps me deal with it better.

in spots like this when your about 90% favourite, you still will get those boards that will hit the 10%. theres no such thing as 100% PF.

everyone from nl4 grinders to nl200 sharks, from dan the hotdog man to dantb10, from the_don90 to the donks,  know its hard to take, and everyone runs -EV at many points in their poker career, but the best advice is to build a bridge and get over it as quickly as you can.
  • edited September 2010
    yeah, maybe i should listen to tikay  ..................................................on this occasion  lol