You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open

edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi guys and gals,

This is a small reminder that Ed and DP have opened up the second hour of the Sunday Night Open to answer any questions that you might have on poker strategy.

It's their aim, to get you all thinking and more importantly talking about ways to improve your game. I've set up a thread in the poker strategy section of the forum titled "FAO DP and ED" for you to post hands that you want to discuss and any game theories that you may want to employ, but aren't quite sure how!

This is your opportunity to talk poker - so please get involved!

Aisling xxx

Comments

• edited August 2009

Hi 'Ling,

We poker players are notorious "last-minute merchants", & I'm sure, come Sunday, there will be zillions of questions.*

* Allows for artistic licence. Assume at least 6. ;)
  • edited August 2009

So that no one can miss it!

BUMP

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open:
    So that no one can miss it! BUMP
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Hi 'Ling, as with most bumps people go slow over them ;).... Think Mike1975 put up his hands from last night on here somewhere, that could be analysed. Come Saturday this will be chocker!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Hi 'Ling, as with most bumps people go slow over them ;).... Think Mike1975 put up his hands from last night on here somewhere, that could be analysed. Come Saturday this will be chocker!
    Posted by Grimstar30

Cheers Grimstar - unfortunately i have to find the hands, therefore the earliest prep is the best ....

Mike's hands were played on a 10 seater table, which we are unable to illustrate on screen - so unfortunately i'm having to be picky! Although i'm currently trying to ascertain how to discuss said hand without actually showing it.... Such is life ;-)

Would love to have some of your hands on the show! - So if you have any questions you'd like to ask please post!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open :  Cheers Grimstar - unfortunately i have to find the hands, therefore the earliest prep is the best .... Mike's hands were played on a 10 seater table, which we are unable to illustrate on screen - so unfortunately i'm having to be picky! Although i'm currently trying to ascertain how to discuss said hand without actually showing it.... Such is life ;-) Would love to have some of your hands on the show! - So if you have any questions you'd like to ask please post!
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Everyone seems to be posting up their 10seater hands on the forum - as is the way ;)

I haven't played enough in the past few days to have any hands to worry about. Will be playing the deepie on friday (oh that is a 10 seater ;))

Well done on the World champs by the way Aisling.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open :  Cheers Grimstar - unfortunately i have to find the hands, therefore the earliest prep is the best .... Mike's hands were played on a 10 seater table, which we are unable to illustrate on screen - so unfortunately i'm having to be picky! Although i'm currently trying to ascertain how to discuss said hand without actually showing it.... Such is life ;-) Would love to have some of your hands on the show! - So if you have any questions you'd like to ask please post!
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Hi Ling,
    I posted a hand on How would you react.
    This was on a 10 seater so i know you cant show it but, how about putting it in words and getting ED to explain how to play it in the context of the deepstack and a faster paced tourny.

col
  • edited August 2009
    Well done on the World champs by the way Aisling.
    Posted by Grimstar30
    LOL - err TY - I wish Tikay would shut up about that! Bless him - the poker world has him to thank for my unusual luck box skillz ;-)

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : LOL - err TY - I wish Tikay would shut up about that! Bless him - the poker world has him to thank for my unusual luck box skillz ;-)
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Just in case anyone else missed out on the news! ;)  http://uk.pokernews.com/news/2009/06/poker-player-interviews/aisling-collins-1188.htm
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Hi Ling, I posted a hand on How would you react. This was on a 10 seater so i know you cant show it but, how about putting it in words and getting ED to explain how to play it in the context of the deepstack and a faster paced tourny. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

Hi Col,

I've actually been looking at that hand as it is easier to discuss than say mike1975's - what a cooler - so UL.

If i do use the hand can i ring you, so that you can discuss your thought processes on the show?
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Hi Col, I've actually been looking at that hand as it is easier to discuss than say mike1975's - what a cooler - so UL. If i do use the hand can i ring you, so that you can discuss your thought processes on the show?
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Hi Ling,
     thats not a problem.
    col
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Just in case anyone else missed out on the news! ;)  http://uk.pokernews.com/news/2009/06/poker-player-interviews/aisling-collins-1188.htm
    Posted by Grimstar30
    sigh - you're so cheeky -

You'd never know i had been stuck on the SAW ride for 3 hours the day before at noon. I had massive sunburn all over my face and looked like a fried tomato - the make up lady was, frankly, amazing!

Sadly i missed out on the don't grin like a maniac gene - hey ho - thanks for that  ;-)
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : sigh - you're so cheeky - You'd never know i had been stuck on the SAW ride for 3 hours the day before at noon. I had massive sunburn all over my face and looked like a fried tomato - the make up lady was, frankly, amazing! Sadly i missed out on the don't grin like a maniac gene - hey ho - thanks for that  ;-)
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    I know it amazes me what special effects they can apply on tv nowadays! :p

So we should all go to theme parks with mal-functioning rides, that was your secret! or perhaps too much sun is the key!?
    Im 100 metres from Bournemouth beach, will test that out now and try to win the deepie on Fri ! If I lose or get sunstroke I know whom to blame lol

• edited August 2009
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    cov83 Small blind   500.00 500.00 7860.00
    Grimstar30 Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 6540.00
      Your hole cards

KIMMSY Call   1000.00 2500.00 27885.00
    BANDICOOT Fold        
    MYSHARKY Call   1000.00 3500.00 23280.00
    aitken63 Fold        
    cov83 Fold        
    Grimstar30 Check        
    Flop

Grimstar30 Check        
    KIMMSY Check        
    MYSHARKY Check        
    Turn

Grimstar30 Bet   1000.00 4500.00 5540.00
    KIMMSY Call   1000.00 5500.00 26885.00
    MYSHARKY Call   1000.00 6500.00 22280.00
    River

Grimstar30 Check        
    KIMMSY Bet   6500.00 13000.00 20385.00
    MYSHARKY Fold        
    Grimstar30 All-in   5540.00 18540.00 0.00
    KIMMSY Show
    • Q

Grimstar30 Muck

KIMMSY Win Straight to the 9 18540.00   38925.00

• edited August 2009
    You can ask the guys to talk about this hand 'Ling. Was final table on the 2k deepy freeroll qualifier. Cheers. Dave

Edit: Hand was number 185154618

Flopped straight so checked it, hoping for either someone to catch top pair /two pair or set and bet

I think my error was the 1k bet on the turn as someone (the villain) will call this to see possible flush on river. Which it turns out they missed but hit their higher straight.

The villains big bet putting me all in on the river, I view as a possible bluff - They missed their flush draw and the bet to represent the higher straight. With me holding the 2nd highest hand I feel I have to call.

Dave

• edited August 2009
    Hi, Ling,

Don't know if this hand on a final table of £50 scary tourney is worth looking at?  Just wondering if I'm too cautious after the bet made by oppenent with worse cards it turns out.  Hand number is 184715678

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    theoocc15 Small blind  3000.00 3000.00 19040.00
    rossjb14 Big blind  6000.00 9000.00 60247.50
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

paddytrini All-in  8365.00 17365.00 0.00
    Pixyflash Call  8365.00 25730.00 86757.50
    Vic35 Fold     
    theoocc15 Fold     
    rossjb14 Call  2365.00 28095.00 57882.50
    Flop

• J

rossjb14 Bet  6000.00 34095.00 51882.50
    Pixyflash Raise  46095.00 80190.00 40662.50
    rossjb14 Fold     
    Turn

River

paddytrini Show
    • K

Pixyflash Show
    • J

Pixyflash Win Pair of Jacks 80190.00  120852.50
  • edited August 2009
    You can ask the guys to talk about this hand 'Ling. Was final table on the 2k deepy freeroll qualifier. Cheers. Dave Edit: Hand was number 185154618 Flopped straight so checked it, hoping for either someone to catch top pair /two pair or set and bet I think my error was the 1k bet on the turn as someone (the villain) will call this to see possible flush on river. Which it turns out they missed but hit their higher straight. The villains big bet putting me all in on the river, I view as a possible bluff - They missed their flush draw and the bet to represent the higher straight. With me holding the 2nd highest hand I feel I have to call. Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Hi Dave,
    I've just had a look at this hand and i'm not sure your quite right imo.
    after the preflop betting there is more than 50% of your remaining stack in the pot. At this stage, with your chip stack, I would push allin. Why, well you are holding the nuts at this point, but by checking you are giving free cards to anyone.
    You called a bet for your stack anyway but you could have secured a stack of 10000.
    The big stacks imo werent going to go away for what you had left, when you put the 1000 bet on the turn.
    If you had a 26000 stack you could afford to play it the way you did, but maybe, with a short stack and on a final table, subtlety is not required.

These hands are how we improve and next time if you push and the same happens then so be it, but at least youve given yourself 2 ways to win.
    But then we'll see if anyone agrees or not with my assessment.
    Hope you and Alan are well, hope we meet at a live event(somewhere in the middle of the country haha).

col
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Hi Dave, I've just had a look at this hand and i'm not sure your quite right imo. after the preflop betting there is more than 50% of your remaining stack in the pot. At this stage, with your chip stack, I would push allin. Why, well you are holding the nuts at this point, but by checking you are giving free cards to anyone. You called a bet for your stack anyway but you could have secured a stack of 10000. The big stacks imo werent going to go away for what you had left, when you put the 1000 bet on the turn. If you had a 26000 stack you could afford to play it the way you did, but maybe, with a short stack and on a final table, subtlety is not required. These hands are how we improve and next time if you push and the same happens then so be it, but at least youve given yourself 2 ways to win. But then we'll see if anyone agrees or not with my assessment. Hope you and Alan are well, hope we meet at a live event(somewhere in the middle of the country haha). col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Thanks Col, I see your point, I should have just shoved..I was being too greedy maybe. Yes should be good to do a Live event soon! SKUPT!?!?!....

Thanks for the advice
  • edited August 2009
    TY guys!

It was my day off yesterday, so if you wondered why i was a tad quiet  - that's the reason! Promise to find both hands - and if the computer says "yes" they'll be on the show..

It'll be during hour 2 - and there is still plenty of time for more hands to be added...

RE Grimstar - sunstroke is most definitely the way forward - it makes you completely unreadable lol
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Strategy - on Sunday Night Open : Hi Ling,  thats not a problem. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

Thank you!
  • edited August 2009
    Ross and Grimstar, if we do use your hands can we contact you to chat to us on the show, in order to share your thought processes?
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Grimstar,

Unfortunately the hand id doesn't appear to be working as it brings up a hand different to the one described.
    Thanks for trying to get involved - there's always next week ;-)

Aisling
  • edited August 2009
    When you post hands, please dont post the result, only post up to the point of decision, because any replies will be biased due to knowing the hole cards and result, not a 100% honest answer ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Grimstar, Unfortunately the hand id doesn't appear to be working as it brings up a hand different to the one described. Thanks for trying to get involved - there's always next week ;-) Aisling
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Nevermind! good things come to those that wait! you can read my blog instead! ;)

• edited August 2009
    Hi, guys,

Many thanks for the review of my QJ hand in the poker strategy.  Note to self - increase bet sizes! 

Cheers

Ross