You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Nearly laid it down, in the end made the "correct" desision, opinions please

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok this was very early in a £5.50 DYM, after my opponent re-raised i let my entire timer bar go down, although it wasnt early most of the table had been involved except for him/her so i was pndering was it a cooler or AK or was it a smaller pocket pair. In the end, something just twigged and i shoved, the rest is history but is it the correct move for these levels at this stage in a double your money.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
JackSilver Small blind  10.00 10.00 2150.00
 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

vegas71 Call  20.00 50.00 1880.00
thomas1962 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  100.00 150.00 2110.00
rob12345 Fold     
JackSilver Fold     
 Raise  400.00 550.00 1580.00
vegas71 Fold     
The_Don90 All-in  2110.00 2660.00 0.00
 All-in  1580.00 4240.00 0.00
The_Don90 Unmatched bet  210.00 4030.00 210.00
 Show

The_Don90 Show
  • Q
  • Q

Flop

• A
  • A

Turn

• J

River

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens 4030.00  4240.00

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Nearly laid it down, in the end made the "correct" desision, opinions please:
    Ok this was very early in a £5.50 DYM, after my opponent re-raised i let my entire timer bar go down, although it wasnt early most of the table had been involved except for him/her so i was pndering was it a cooler or AK or was it a smaller pocket pair. In the end, something just twigged and i shoved, the rest is history but is it the correct move for these levels at this stage in a double your money.
    Posted by The_Don90
    If I was in your position I would probably just call his 400 re-raise, see the flop, then re-evaluate. Put a bet in on the flop and see where you are.

Having said that, knowing me I woiuld probably just do what you did in the end :p
  • edited September 2010
    you played this exactly the way i would have, don. 

to just call their RR gives them a chance to hit their flop in essence, for free, then you may have a hard time laying it down, depending on yr read on them. 

granted, its early doors in a DYM to ship it, but then again you had your oppo crushed. your shoving range in DYM needs to be mega-narrow at 10/20, i just cant believe  they called with TT. nhwp.
  • edited September 2010
    Exactly how I would play it, NEVER just call the RR as your screwed when an Ace/King hits the flop. If he has AA/KK at a six handed game say wd next game.
  • edited September 2010
    yeh rememder this hand i dont thick u can lay this hand down becouse at this level the villan dose not need AA or KK to re raise all in could have hand like JJ 10 AK 99 or just air was gd fun playing wif u
  • edited September 2010
    yea rob i realised afterwards how loose this table was, unlucky in the second one i needed to sleep after that. I folded a set of 2's the hand u went out on lol. If id have realised how loose the table was then it would have been an insta shove over his raise.
  • edited September 2010
    yeh was very loose mad shi t lol still cash in all the one we played together
  • edited September 2010
    Hey Don m8 ur QQ was good but I did not have 53... I felt guilty for almost 10 sec u know lol

PS I think your was push was good would have done the same myself.
  • edited September 2010
    hmmm i think the push is a good move in any tournament at these levels apart from a dym i would probably see the flop and then decide what to do with my hand he could easy have AK in this spot or more. Plus against a decent dym player you would not of got called at these levels by the 10/10 the only way you get called is if your dominated or your racing AK and at this point in a dym i don't want to race but worked out well in the end well done m8 gl at the tables!
  • edited September 2010
    get it in pre you will make too many mistakes when over cards come.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Nearly laid it down, in the end made the "correct" desision, opinions please:
    get it in pre you will make too many mistakes when over cards come.
    Posted by beaneh
    But why would you want to gamble in the 1st blind level in a DYM that's just silly
  • edited September 2010
    I only play DYM's, apart from the FR Tournys - so heres my 2p -  I can understand beaneh saying getting it all in - I still need to grow a pair btw - but with no real information on the player and so early in the game, thats a gutsy move. I would probably call - hating every minute. Being in position and second to act after the flop, his c bet on the flop, with an overcard gets scary.

Its a tough one - but in a DYM and only needing to finish in the top 3, I avoid risk so early on and i certainly dont want to be racing. If I lay down the best hand, so be it - I still have a playable stack and im confident that I can go on to cash.

Ive probably done this sort of things loads of times - but it wins for me.

Good luck

Si
  • edited September 2010
    thanks silkworm.

Good to hear from a dym regular to be honest, ive never played higher than the £5 level except for 3 occassions on the £11 game. Im still strenthing my game so have no will.

I felt i was either folding for shoving to be honest i hate 50% of flops, so why take the chance, be a passenger. And if he had AK a good DYM player may often lay down.

Funniliy enough i had QQ on the button earlier Raise BB 3-bets i shove he got kings and snap calls. So often it will go right so often it will go wrong, i guess thats the risk involved in poker. :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Nearly laid it down, in the end made the "correct" desision, opinions please:
    thanks silkworm. Good to hear from a dym regular to be honest, ive never played higher than the £5 level except for 3 occassions on the £11 game. Im still strenthing my game so have no will. I felt i was either folding for shoving to be honest i hate 50% of flops, so why take the chance, be a passenger. And if he had AK a good DYM player may often lay down. Funniliy enough i had QQ on the button earlier Raise BB 3-bets i shove he got kings and snap calls. So often it will go right so often it will go wrong, i guess thats the risk involved in poker. :)
    Posted by The_Don90
    I would call and shove on a safe flop. If I believe I have an edge in this game I dont want to be racing against AK (his most likely hand except those that have us crushed) at this stage in tourney
  • edited September 2010
    seems standard
  • edited September 2010
    i agree with beaneh, you would prob end up folding after flop cz he will shove if you check the flop. I know its a dym and you dont want to be getting involved in big pots early on but by winning this pot you prob wont have to play another hand for ages so you can tighten your game completely up.
    I guess it all depends on what type of player you are but not playing hands like these will cost you in the long run
  • edited September 2010
    Found this hand from a couple of nights ago. Four left on the table. Betting into the pre flop raiser isnt the best thing Ive done - lol, but no doubt the result would have been the same. Im happy at this point to go all in with the over pair to the board. If he re raised I would have shoved. if he's already hit a set, got AA, KK etc -  ive still got 14 bigs to come back with. If he had shoved all in pre flop - the only reason I would have called is the stack sizes - im not out. If he had the bigger stack, my lack of sizable sphericals would have had me folding pre flop. heh heh.
    silkworm1 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3455.00
    16dang16 Big blind   100.00 150.00 3725.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

NILLET3 Call   100.00 250.00 2530.00

Raise   400.00 650.00 1640.00
    silkworm1 Call   350.00 1000.00 3105.00
    16dang16 Fold        
    NILLET3 Fold        
    Flop

• J