You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i get over exited here and bet too much on turn????

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

At nl8 I think the simpe truth in these spots is bet as much as you can possibly get away with without losing your customer and this is obviously opponent dependant.

With the redraw to the nut flush if you see a heart on the turn I would bet slightly less on the flop - only very marginal though, somewhere more in the middle of 1/2 and 3/4 pot. This ensures your opponent pays too much to see a turn card if he is drawing to a flush whilst getting value for you. As it is you bet 3/4 and got paid so you beat me here.

I definately bet less on the turn. People are often willing (for some reason - perhaps they expect you to just give them a free river if they 'buy' a turn card) to pay too much for draws (pot bets) on the turn but not the river. With the Kh in your hand you know, if they are drawing to a flush, they have 8 cards to hit. As such they are more than 4/1 to hit and you can really lay them whatever odds you want. As I have said you simply go for as much as you can get. Personally, I like half-potting it here, giving them 3/1 - giving them a decent price (in their eyes) whilst still netting you a tidy profit over time.

JC

Comments

• edited September 2010

with potential flush draw i kept betting big but was it too much on turn?????
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    JackoG9 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £5.77
    donkeyplop Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.04
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

simons08 Fold     
    JULIO1966 Fold     
    lee06 Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.08 £0.20 £10.36
    JackoG9 Call  £0.04 £0.24 £5.73
    donkeyplop Raise  £0.32 £0.56 £7.72
    xxx Call  £0.32 £0.88 £10.04
    JackoG9 Fold     
    Flop

• J
    • A

donkeyplop Bet  £0.66 £1.54 £7.06
    xxx Call  £0.66 £2.20 £9.38
    Turn

donkeyplop Bet  £2.20 £4.40 £4.86
    xxx Fold     
    donkeyplop Muck     
    donkeyplop Win  £2.04  £6.90
    donkeyplop Return  £2.20 £0.16 £9.10
  • edited September 2010

he had been quite loose so i was suprised he folded!!

will try a bit less next time.

• edited September 2010
    1.80 is fine. you have a good hand and you bet there is nothing wrong here!!! keep doing it!
  • edited September 2010
    yeah agree with beaneh its a good bet i wouldnt reccommend betting less because ur pricing him in for a flush card or even a gutshot on the str8 u already have
  • edited September 2010
    in short, yes u did get over excited

just keep bet sizing the same as flop, no need to bet more...stick with 3/4 - 1.8 is fine as it still sets up psb on river which is what u shud be aiming for from the outset
  • edited September 2010

The bet seems fine to me DP as batkin says you dont want to price a flush draw in, I suspect you extracted the most and he would have folded to 3/4 or 1/2 IMO

I always try and bet the same weather I hit or miss, was this your normal size bet when leading out on the turn?

• edited September 2010
    yes usually 3/4 or pot.

i used to bet 1/2 but got some stick for it so have now increased my bets.......
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: did i get over exited here and bet too much on turn????:
    yes usually 3/4 or pot. i used to bet 1/2 but got some stick for it so have now increased my bets.......
    Posted by donkeyplop
    I think u got the max, a smaller bet than the norm he may have smelt a rat