You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What was he calling with?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
What the hell did mr XXX call the flop and turn with that he could could not call the river with, I did put him on a small pair due to his flat call.... any opinions please because I cant work out what he could have had?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxx Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £16.77
LADYGUNS Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £20.38
  Your hole cards

waynecure Raise  £0.50 £0.65 £18.85
ozzy30 Fold     
2003 Fold     
xxx Call  £0.45 £1.10 £16.32
LADYGUNS Call  £0.40 £1.50 £19.98
Flop

• J
  • J

zxsprn Check     
LADYGUNS Check     
waynecure Bet  £1.13 £2.63 £17.72
xxxCall  £1.13 £3.76 £15.19
LADYGUNS Fold     
Turn

• Q

xxx Check     
waynecure Bet  £2.82 £6.58 £14.90
xxx Call  £2.82 £9.40 £12.37
River

xxx Check     
waynecure Bet  £7.05 £16.45 £7.85
xxx Fold     
waynecure Muck     
waynecure Win  £8.70  £16.55
waynecure Return  £7.05 £0.70 £23.60

Comments

• edited September 2010
    hmmm. id have checked back here, have no idea what calls down and folds river maybe AhXX
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: What was he calling with?:
    hmmm. id have checked back here, have no idea what calls down and folds river maybe AhXX
    Posted by The_Don90
    Stumped me too Don he just seemed to play it like he was on a draw, no aggression at all I did wonder if he had TT so did not want to check the river.
  • edited September 2010
    i imagine TT calls the river, the 2 of spades isnt a bad card for TT and the damage would have been done on turn
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Why are you betting the river is a better question. I assume you've turned your hand into a bluff but I don't think you fold out much thats beating you tbh.
  • edited September 2010
    Why are you betting the river is a better question. I assume you've turned your hand into a bluff but I don't think you fold out much thats beating you tbh.
    Posted by yb
    I must agree
  • edited September 2010
    ace of hearts and a either black 3 maybe
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by yb
    I am betting the river because I think he may have 99 TT, I see no point in checking if he has a mid pair he has a very difficult call to make..... the way this guys plays Im 100% sure is hand is very weak and the result proves this bet was correct for this hand. Its not what I have that counts but what he thinks I have!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: What was he calling with? : I must agree
    Posted by The_Don90
    So Don your saying check the river and let him take the pot down with 99? Could you call the river bet with 99 TT????
  • edited September 2010
    ace of hearts and a either black 3 maybe
    Posted by Batkin88
    This guy was a bit loose but not a fool, maybe A3 but would be suprised if he chased a flush draw with a paired board. The more I think about a small - med PP I put him on
  • edited September 2010
    pocket pair like 66 77 or maybe a 3
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: What was he calling with? : I am betting the river because I think he may have 99 TT, I see no point in checking if he has a mid pair he has a very difficult call to make..... the way this guys plays Im 100% sure is hand is very weak and the result proves this bet was correct for this hand. Its not what I have that counts but what he thinks I have!
    Posted by waynecure
    I'm not sure why you're so keen to put him on 99/TT.

Just because you won doesnt mean the bet was correct. How many times is he folding better compared with the times he calls with better?

Do you think he always plays 99/TT like this? If he does there are 12 combos of these hands, how many combos of Jx/flushes/random Qx hands he floated the flop with do you think are also in his range? Do you think he always folds 99/TT to your river bet?

• edited September 2010
    tbh if you bet that on the river and i had pocket 9's or 10's i would def call and because you bet the flop i would more than likely raise you or in this case shove.
    But that is only because you bet from the flop and bet every street i would put u on ak or a low pocket pair. If you had j's you would of slowed down and if you had k's u would of tried to end tha hand earlier. I would discount queens as i think you would of check raised the turn if you hit the queen.
    I dont have any problems with the way you played and im guessing you had a very good read on ur opponent, i just dont like the size of the river bet.
    There is no way he had pocket 9's or ten's though unless he is a very bad player. Why would u flat call with 9s or tens's he would be reraising that flop and then the turn just like u did with ur 8's
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: What was he calling with? : I'm not sure why you're so keen to put him on 99/TT. Just because you won doesnt mean the bet was correct. How many times is he folding better compared with the times he calls with better? Do you think he always plays 99/TT like this? If he does there are 12 combos of these hands, how many combos of Jx/flushes/random Qx hands he floated the flop with do you think are also in his range? Do you think he always folds 99/TT to your river bet?
    Posted by yb
    YB what you say is possible correct and thread is not about how I played the river, I played it that way because I had a gut feeling/read what ever you want to call it he had nowt.... if I was wrong would not need to post as I would know what he had. You may think checking the river is correct and I would not argue with you, I had a med PP which had a good chance of being beat so if betting out to try and win the hand is bad poker so be it... I am a bad player!
    Now being a bad or good player I still want to work out what this guy called 2 streets with for future reference, so back to the question YB m8 what do you think he is calling with???
  • edited September 2010
    tbh if you bet that on the river and i had pocket 9's or 10's i would def call and because you bet the flop i would more than likely raise you or in this case shove. But that is only because you bet from the flop and bet every street i would put u on ak or a low pocket pair. If you had j's you would of slowed down and if you had k's u would of tried to end tha hand earlier. I would discount queens as i think you would of check raised the turn if you hit the queen. I dont have any problems with the way you played and im guessing you had a very good read on ur opponent, i just dont like the size of the river bet. There is no way he had pocket 9's or ten's though unless he is a very bad player. Why would u flat call with 9s or tens's he would be reraising that flop and then the turn just like u did with ur 8's
    Posted by Batkin88
    You hit the nail on the head it just dont make sense cant get any hand to add up, 3/4 of the pot was the bet size lets be honest I did not want a call did I, too much looks like a bluff not enough he has value to call.
    How much would you have bet Batkin or would you not have bet?