You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

0.25/0.50 River All-In with FH

Posted this on an american forum some time ago:
Joined the table one round ago and haven't played vs villian previous so no notes. Mainly looking for comments on turn play and final action on the river. Sat with £50, started this hand with £44.

6-Seater Table 0.25p/0.50p

Dealt to Hero: Ad7d 
Pre-Flop: 1 fold, UTG+1 calls .50, 1 fold, Button calls .50, SB calls .25, Hero checks

Flop (£2): 3d7c3h
SB checks, Hero bets £1.50, 2 folds, SB calls £1.50

Turn (£5): 3s
SB checks, Hero checks

River (£5): 2s
SB is all-in for £32, Hero ???

The idea behind the turn check was primarily pot control, saves me money vs 88-JJ or a 3. Made the check with the intention of calling value bets of slightly under the pot or less on the end.

Comments

• edited May 2009

Interesting hand.

The question was, I think, what do we do on the end, after Villain bets.

Well, let's try & see what Villain migiht have.

The Pre-Flop Serial Limpage tells us a lot.

1) Highly unlikely anyone has a Pair bigger than 7-7. We are beating 6-6 down.

2) Entirely possible, but unlikely, Villain has a 3 in his hand.

3) Entirely possible, but unlikely, Villain has a 7 in his hand.

As we are splitting it if Villain has the 7, & if he has Quads, well too bad.......

I'm Calling here, pretty readily, too.  If he has the 3, nh, mbn, gg, wp.
  • edited May 2009
    Really? Everyone on the site I originally posted it on said fold, most even said snap-fold.

I folded in the end, I felt that if I call i'm almost never winning the entire pot, and since i've committed just £2 to the pot it's really not worth fighting for. Plus, if he is spewing here with nothing, he'll do it later on in the session, and as I have position on him I'm in a good spot to take advantage of it where my winning % is somewhat higher.

And above all else, I checked the turn to call a standard value bet on the end, not to call a 6x pot all-in.
  • edited May 2009

Well I agree you only have a bowl of rice invested, & also that it's plain daft to call to split.

I also like the "if he's jamming with air, I can get him later" thinking.

But do you really think he he jams with quads, or a better house? He wants to get paid if he has, & he won't get paid off by jamming.

We'll never now the right answer, but I agree -  it's an interesting one. It comes down to personal style I think.
  • edited June 2009
    Insta fold imo.

The overbet usually means they have the goods and hope you might donk off with the 7.
  • edited June 2009
    Looking back to the start of the hand, A-7 is a hand i find really hard to play.  I'd be interested to know if checking it as big blind is the right way to go, or should a bet be put in to get rid of some of the 3 other runners that flat called?  I'd be fearful of a better ace for example.
  • edited June 2009
    It was a rainbow flop - the villain has the 3.
    Any two-suiters on the flop then he would have bet out his flopped trips or at the very least check-raised. With 88-JJ he would probably have raised PF, but must definitely have bet out on the flop.
    I would not have checked the turn in your position - I would have made a pot-sized bet (£5) and folded to any raise.

But what do I know? I gave up playing cash two years ago because I was no good at it!
  • edited June 2009
    I think you played it close to perfect. Without more info on villain you cannot call. I know its hard to put someone on quads as they are so rare, but if there was a time this was it.

wp
  • edited June 2009

think fold is fine but definitely not a snap fold.  there isnt a great deal out there that beats you but there is very few hands imo that villain can make this raise with that you beat.  most likely out come is a tie and your calling £30+ to save your £2

it is way more likely that you are behind than taking the whole pot so fold and wait for a better spot

• edited June 2009
    In Response to 0.25/0.50 River All-In with FH:
    Posted this on an american forum some time ago: Joined the table one round ago and haven't played vs villian previous so no notes. Mainly looking for comments on turn play and final action on the river. Sat with £50, started this hand with £44. 6-Seater Table 0.25p/0.50p Dealt to Hero: Ad7d  Pre-Flop: 1 fold, UTG+1 calls .50, 1 fold, Button calls .50, SB calls .25, Hero checks Flop (£2): 3d7c3h SB checks, Hero bets £1.50 , 2 folds, SB calls £1.50 Turn (£5): 3s SB checks, Hero checks River (£5): 2s SB is all-in for £32, Hero ??? The idea behind the turn check was primarily pot control, saves me money vs 88-JJ or a 3. Made the check with the intention of calling value bets of slightly under the pot or less on the end.
    Posted by YoungUn
    This is a nice little hand and I think folding here, without much info, is pretty much standard!

I wouldnt be limp stompin here with A7s in the BB, purely because of the position you will have on future rounds plus i cant see how that would have +EV if you consider your opponents ranges.

from experience my alarm bells ring whenever i get a check call from a villain on a paired board and especially when there is no plausible draws here and he isnt floating you OOP.

If he had a 7 in his hand he would not be slow rollin here, i think he would have led out to ask the question! I think you played the turn well too, it would be wrong to play a big pot here!

Personally, i think he has you nailed good and proper here! His river bet is kinda weird but i can see his point that he probably has you on some kinda 7 and the liklihood that he has a 3 in his hand is so small that most people would probably snap call this! and start cryin when he flips over something like A3, 34s, 35s

From what you seen after this, do you think he could of 3-bet 8's or better pre flop with 2 limpers in front? Apparantly, you should assign a 10% bluff rate to every opponent unless you know other wise. If he is bluffin your still not gettin the odds to make it a profitable call........Like you say he will most probably try it on again later on in the game so let his have the £2.00 now because i bet you probably got it back with interest later on in the game!