You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Staking other players...?

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey guys,

Havn't posted properly in a while so I hope your all good!

I just had an idea, do an poker sites have a "Stake A Player" option..?

This could be in turn used as a sort of transfer of money to another player..

Both parties could agree the percentage of the stake and could be paid out once tournament has finished if that player has cashed.

Thought this would be a great idea? - One reason I am saying this is because I really want to play the Primo tonight but don't have the bankroll so would be looking for a 50% stake for it tonight!! ;)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Other forums do staking threads etc and players agree to ship monies either to other poker accounts or through Bank transfers etc. Can be messy if things go wrong - as has happened a few times lately
  • edited September 2010
    Ah really?

If there was some sort of legal agreement made then it would be a brilliant addition I think...

Shame about the idiots who don't stick by it though.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Staking other players...?:
    Ah really? If there was some sort of legal agreement made then it would be a brilliant addition I think... Shame about the idiots who don't stick by it though.
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    Rubbish idear......and i dont know why...the only stake i put on you is a wooden one!
  • edited September 2010
    i'd be beating them of with sticks if they had a stake option on here :P
  • edited September 2010
    I like my steak Med rare but not too much blood!
  • edited September 2010
    If the player is a vampire then they're dead.  That's not very nice is it?
  • edited September 2010
    Thats a top idea.  I knew there were staking sites, but that could get complicated.  If the poker site itself catered for this, so all winnings etc is automatically credited to who it was owed.  So essentially, you dont have to trust anyone.
    I dont know how easy / hard this would be to implement, but I`m pretty sure if any site goes down this road, Sky wont be leading the way.
  • edited September 2010
    if you want to be staked put a post up in plenty of time,ask invester to pm you then send his money by cheque through post?

a lot of trust involved tho............

this does not solve how the invester gets the buyin to you though/

on betfred poker the acually have a option where you can transfer money to another player..gl,dave
  • edited September 2010
    Fr4nk, your a funny guy................

Yeah Mahony if the Poker site could cater for it then it'd be a great addition to each Poker site...

Maybe something for the future.
  • edited September 2010
    Staking is one thing.

trying to get sky to be the legally binding entity in the middle that overviews it is dreamland kind of stuff.

there is so much potential for shadyness/dodgy people/underhand actions that Sky would never get involved let alone if TK sees this!! 

IF you have friends/poker mates that you trust then you can definitely stake each other and buy/swap pieces with each other but there is still an inherent risk in this verbal agreements etc.

• edited September 2010
    Yeah I completely see what your saying Beaneh. I guess it's just finding that middle ground between players but this being the WORLD wide web....that would be hard to find.

• edited September 2010
    still awaiting the millions of offers, must have got lost in the post?
  • edited September 2010
    the other site i play on allow you to transfer money to another player's account. should be no biggie.
  • edited September 2010
    the other site i play on allow you to transfer money to another player's account. should be no biggie.
    Posted by theneons

they are also based offsure and are most likely violating americas laws constantly so yeah sure sky will follow them.

player to player transfers have all sorts of money laundering issues.

also a transfer doesn't relate in any way to you now having a locked in stake or anything it's still all run purely on trust.

try and only stake people who you know (have known for a while).
  • edited September 2010
    if i remember right, this has been debated before and if i remember rightly it went down the lines " if the player was a winning player who needed to be staked, why does he need staking" along those lines anyway   phil x ( not my thoughts, just one of the forums, if it was up to me someone could stake me for the ds 2nite!!!)
  • edited September 2010
    if i remember right, this has been debated before and if i remember rightly it went down the lines " if the player was a winning player who needed to be staked, why does he need staking" along those lines anyway   phil x ( not my thoughts, just one of the forums, if it was up to me someone could stake me for the ds 2nite!!!)
    Posted by pod1

staking is generally accepted for the much bigger live tournaments because the buyins can be so big that with a conservative bankroll strategy not many people should be fronting the full amount of money.

to be buying into a 5000 runner 10k$ tournament you need to have alot of 10ks lying about unused and unwanted. Whereas if you put 2500$ up yourself and 15 of your friends give you 500$ then you get to more easily afford to play the event.

Similarly if you cant play an event but fancy a small percentage of someone it gives you a sweat and a possible payout even when you aren't playing that weekend.
  • edited September 2010

I am a member of another forum (NPF) where they form a syndicate to play the Sunday Millions on Pokerstars. This tourney has a $215 buy in but if you go deep the payout can be tremendous, so every week a different syndy member played the tourney, and every other syndicate member transferred $20 to them. Obviously, if they cashed the shareout was structured so it  favoured the guy that played the tourney. This gave members that couldnt afford the buy in to play in a prestige tourney. This can only happen if you can transfer monies between players on the same site, or a syndy was formed entirely on trust and the money was bank transferred between syndy members well before the tourney starts to enable the selected player to deposit the funds and reg. for the tourney.

The only game on Skypoker that would be beneficial to this is the £220 deepstack, unfortunately you cannot transfer money between players on Skypoker.

If it was possible...............
    anyone fancy it ?

• edited September 2010
    After a nasty nasty day gettin outdrawn ffffn continuously there is a few players i would like to put a STAKE in